Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This thread became pointless

Way to keep that trend going bub...

East or west? Maybe the hiline? WHO KNOWS. Ive always had sort of a goal or loose plan with at least an end destination but im about to.head out and.jst wander for awhile before i settle.down.for real to.make loot doing what i love to do. Ive traveled alone but not for extended periods of.time. this should.be interesting.

PARTY ON DUDES.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

JoeCorbo: I know you are Rapid T. Your writing style, plus the fact that you attend shareholder meetings, gives you away.

Boxcarro: keep it on topic, bub. We all have some form of eccentricity/mental illness but dude, you realize this is a graff forum. Also, knock off the all-capital letters.

As for me, I'm doing the orchard thing in the Northwest, still ridin', still trampin'. Had a couple close shaves and made some new friends, sometimes old ones fade away but you find some good people out on the road. Plenty of bad ones but the good ones make up for it.

A lot of new kids have not learned the hobo ethic: share everything in equal portions- that means food, beer, other refreshments. I met some kids at the catchout in Portland last month and one of the first things they said to me was

" Hey, uh, we all just pitched in for this meal we're about to cook, so we can't give you any."

I wish some old-timers like Ka-Bar had been there to give them hell. I offered to share my smoke when I pulled out my pipe.

XEN, ROLLING NOWHERE, and other experienced riders (and oogs)-

plan is to catch out from Rochester, NY,( NS Interchange ) and ride dirty on a coal train to rufus point, then catch a SBD to saratoga springs, and then (backtracking) catch a NBD train to Montreal (the NBDs dont stop @ Rufus pt. which is why I need to be in Saratoga Spr in the first place)

any advice on going from Saratoga Springs to Montreal? should i be worried about crossing the border?

I also have the option of going SBD from Saratoga Spr. to Albany then NYC which I would consider if Montreal poses too much of a risk. Please get back to me on the board or via PM, any advice is helpful.

I wouldnt try to cross the border on a train. I havent done it or tried it but one of my associates told me about crossing the border and getting caught pretty much immediately. I dont remember where he was but it seems like its not an easy task at all. Someone i know recently tried to just sneak across walking through some woods and he got popped with the quickness haha. Ill see if i can find some more info for you.

I wouldn't attempt to try a border crossing. There are way too many things that can go wrong. I hear Canadian jails aren't so bad but the nicest jail is still jail even if it is just waiting to get deported. Who needs the hassle?

XEN, ROLLING NOWHERE, and other experienced riders (and oogs)-

plan is to catch out from Rochester, NY,( NS Interchange ) and ride dirty on a coal train to rufus point, then catch a SBD to saratoga springs, and then (backtracking) catch a NBD train to Montreal (the NBDs dont stop @ Rufus pt. which is why I need to be in Saratoga Spr in the first place)

any advice on going from Saratoga Springs to Montreal? should i be worried about crossing the border?

I also have the option of going SBD from Saratoga Spr. to Albany then NYC which I would consider if Montreal poses too much of a risk. Please get back to me on the board or via PM, any advice is helpful.

I'm not entirely sure, so don't solely go on my word, but I was in Plattsburgh, NY a couple years ago and heard a lot of people talking about it being incredibly easy to get to Montreal from there with no passport.

Very sad news, boys. I talked to Stretch a couple of days ago. Burlington Dog K-9, Stretch's railriding canine companion of over 13 years, has caught the Westbound. He was having more and more difficulty getting down from boxcars. Stretch has had to lift him up into boxcrs for a number of years. (When I first met Stretch and Burl, Burl could mount a boxcar door flat-footed from the ballast, no problem.) Burl's hips have been bad for quite a while and he has had prostate problems (which make it hard to piss) and kidney problems as well as several infestations of mange (scabies mites) over the years.

Stretch was pretty broke up, but sober, when he was telling me about Burl. Apparently he and Burl were in Louisiana near an Air Force base, got stuck, and Burl became very sick and listless. He was in too much pain to get up and go lift his leg to piss. Stretch was trying to fly a sign to raise some money to pay a veterinarian, when a female Air Force master sergeant stopped to help. She offered to take Burl to the vet while Stretch stayed there and flew a sign to raise funds. Desperate to get Burl some help, Stretch agreed, and they loaded Burl up in her car. She took Burl to the vet, but there was nothing the vet could do but offer to put him down--too many of his systems had shut down and he was having heart failure. She came back, told Stretch the news and got a signed consent, then they put Burl down with a shot.

Stretch is in mourning, holed up in Mississippi with his girlfriend, Bama. They had Burl cremated and are going to ship his ashes to Bama's place.

Another hobo brother gone, but never forgotten.

RIP BURLINGTON DOG K-9, born on a freight train, lived his life free and happy, roaming America with his buddy Stretch. He was an intelligent, loyal tramp right to the end. I hope that saying is true: "All dogs go to heaven." If so, Burl is curled up by a jungle fire somewhere this very second, waiting for Stretch.

anyone every heard of anyone going through North Platte with no problems.

I'm just wondering, always hear some funny and interesting stories from those parts

Yep. Many. I mean whats a problem? Going over the hump is the worst ive heard from people i actually know. No jail or getting caught or anything. Id imagine its easier than it seems. I used to be sketched about el paso too. HAH

i doubt it. ive never seen one in the units ive rode. maybe the 2012 units do, but ive never seen a newer unit used as a dpu. its always the shitty ones with no ac and broken fridges. that are out of flares. so you have nothing fun to do.

also, the touchscreen computer system thingies, you can fuck around on em and as long as you dont change anything you wont get caught. got refueled in muscle shoals and then continued to sit idling (burning diesel) all night and into the afternoon. got on the computer thing to see if there was any info and when it was leaving, and i guess nobody cared. but i sat there for like 3 hours wondering if i should or not... figured id save someone else the time.

I have a question about gear for anyone whos an experienced hopper.

I'm wondering if it'd be safe to bring a backpacking stove that uses propane fuel with you?

I mean I dont know why it wouldn't be but then again im not entirely sure.

thank you

aint gotta eat a hot meal every time you eat. plus whatever train youre going to be on isnt going to be running more then 10 hours nonstop. if youre going to cook on a train look up diy rocketstoves or whatever they are called. its a little stove you make from tin cans and you fuel with wood. i imagine that propane crap aint cheap, and i wouldnt want to get caught on a train witth propane tanks anyways.

Or rent an RV and drive along the tracks with Catching Out playing in the background.

Survival for fun or survival for real. Your choice.

In other words, just bring a lighter. Packing on extra weight is useless. If a propane camp stove is necessary to you, consider DIY

• Like 1

thanks for explaining it a lot quicker :lol:

i remember when i first left i had a small pot, and a small pan. both of which i got rid of within 2 days.

now i DO carry a small metal bowl type thing, just incase ive got to boil some water if im at some rural ass siding in the summer with no more water... but ive yet to use it.

RIP to Burlington!

Just got back from a trip on the ex-BCR line. Had a thuderstorm pass through, knocked some trees across the tracks - got delayed for a day. Definitely not the best way to travel if you've got a set schedule.

CN engines do have cameras that point forward, and voice recorders as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just rode from Niagara falls security is tight there hopped a line to buffalo then hop another line to pattersonville reefer line boy do those things run non stop had to get off to get my knee fixed trying to hitch hike home to Delaware with torn ligaments in your knee is no fun my buddy stayed out on the trip I'm already missing it it's the best way to live I need to get my knee fixed then I'll be back out on the road ps buffalo yards are huge and full of workers and CSX cops watch out!

Made it to Cambridge Massachusetts seems like theres a lot of other travelers been walking around searching for yards had to walk 6 hours to get from the last yard I was in wondering if anyone has some insite they can give me about this place this town is awseome never thought I'd be this close to Harvard and Harvard girls! Hahaha pm any information if you can it would be greatly appreciated