where did your musical tastes derive from?

Guest fr8lover

Originally posted by dBUSH

My dad listens to music constantly- apparently I knew the words to some of Frank Zappa's raunchier songs when I was too young to know what I was saying. My dad is cooler than me- he has all the music I wish I had- blues, funk, jazz, old hippie rock and some weird off the wall shit too... he's got an entire bedroom with stacks of vinyl- maybe 7 or 8 thousand albums

Yeah, my dad is exactly the same.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think my sister played a big part in forming my taste in music, she always used to play The Bends-era Radiohead and stuff like that and Radiohead remains my favourite 'normal' band. Also, about 3 years ago I got into DJ Shadow and the Mo'Wax artists through a friend who brought in Q-Bert's Shadow megamix CD which I think was my first introduction to good hip hop/turntablism... then about a year ago someone directed me onto to Boards Of Canada, and they are currently my favourite band.. which then led me on to Warp Records etc, and Skam etc.

I am NOT an IDM wanker. really.

My parents are working class rock and rollers....ac dc,zepplin.

My brother hooked me up he was mister gangster rapper from like 90 to 93 so I was too.Then i boguht a beastie boys album thinking it was gunna be rap...IT WASN'T it was some oldbullshit.By that time my brother was in high school and going to bad shows at local chruches...so I tagged along a few times and punk rock I went.That was like late late 93 from their I went out on my own and started going to shows alot....went gutter to ska to "normal".Then i stopped going to shows for 2 years simply because drinking skating were alot more fun and the kids sucked.Then I got in to hardcore and my boys got me back in to going to shows just to see them.

Skating is the shit it kept me open rap to emo and back again in amatter of like 7 years aahhaha

• 1 year later...

My uncle was deeply into the new york hardcore scene, so basically when i was living with him i used to be around the guys in Rest In Pieces and that whole alley flaver(sick of it all, straight ahead, maladjusted, some what raw deal) and ive met alot of the 'big guys in the scene' so basically thats where my heavy hardcore influence came from. My rap taste just seemed to spurt out like 5 years ago when i heard the first DMX cd, i was like hmm this shits pretty good, badda fucking boom!

^ thats some history right there/

I started out being heavily into classic rock from around 86 to 92, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Pink Floyd and steely Dan. mostley influence from my parents.

Then from 92, I started hanging out with kids that mostly listened to punk. I was a huge melvins fan. Started high school in 93' going to a high school with old nyhc guys introduced me to Sheer Terror, then I started getting heavily into hardcore.

starting my senior year of high school I got into more and more hip hop. In 1998, moved out for my first time to Boston, got into the whole Boston Underground hip hop scene.

But most of my roots are into Hardcore...

damn!everyone here had cool ass parents. my earliest memories are pretty embarrasing.

mostly bob dylan and yes, phil collins.

my first tape was aeroshith's greatest hits, my grandmother got it for me because she lives in the same town as joe perry. after that my uncle got me back in black acdc, i guess it went from there. i dont have any older siblings so i had to go to mtv(early 90's) for music. nirvana, pearl jam, so on and so forth. now ill listen to just about anything as long as its not the cheeky girls.

Guest BROWNer

my dad hooked me up with my own record player when

i was pretty young, and he always had music playing..

at the same time he hooked me up with some of his old records....

so, main derive-styles would have been primarily the

beatles..sargeant peppers and abbey road, along with

various 80's 45's that i was able to get through an

allowance. from there it chilled until about a year before

high school, then it went crazy.

well.....uhm....my parents didnt let me watch tv nor did i have cable so i only heard what they listened to on the radio...which was classic rock, blues, jazz, soul, disco, old funk, some ska, some classical, basically all the "cool" stuff from their times.....as i figured out how to work the radio tuner and my having older brothers and sister allowed me to hear all the wierdos that got girls all hot in the eighties, punk rock, rockabilly and all the angry/druggy stuff from the early ninetys and so on....living where i live it was impossible to not get into the jiggy rap stuff or the underground hiphop stuff.....i learned how to play some guitar and drums from my dad and brothers so have a great appreciation for aaaaaaall types of music......i pretty much like and own a lil of everything....but for the life of me i just cant get into country....i dont know.....but yeah..music=greeeatstuff!!...i couldnt live without it....

for a while after i heard getting jiggy with it on the radio i thought i liked rap. eventually i realized that i just couldent relate to having a pile of ho's, money, capping out fools, saying "nigga", etc. anyway, i bought the beastie boys "hello nasty". i liked it, but that was to be the last rap cd i bought. i had heard metallica on the radio, and bought some of their old albums. i was a huge metallica fan for a while. one time i bought this movie called repo man at the pawn shop. i was immediately hooked on late 70s and 80s punk rock. i had been buying new metal cds at the pawn shop, but they lacked something that stuff from the 80s had. so i like 80s metal, and 80s punk rock. oh yeah, i have one grunge cd.

i listened to generic whatever shit till i got into high school and a friend turned me on to del... and i just went off from there.

to me good hiphop is like the sushi of music or something. not the sushi but like the rice or something. migga.

Little Johnny was only 12-years-old. He had been hearing a lot about courting from the older boys, so he asked his mother what and how it was done.

She told him to hide behind the curtains one night and watch his older sister and her boyfriend. This Johnny did, and this is what Johnny told his mother later.

"Sis and her boyfriend sat and talked for awhile, then they turned off the lights, all but the blue one. Then the boyfriend began kissing her and putting his hand under her blouse.

"Pretty soon they began to pant and get out of breath, and then he took his hand from inside her blouse and put it under her dress. When he did this, Sis began to moan, sigh, squirm, and scoot down toward the edge of the couch, until soon she was lying down. Then he unzipped his pants and pulled out a big eel about 10" long. It was standing up and he had it in his hand to keep it from getting away. Sis started to help him and they both wrestled it. Finally, Sis held it while he took a muzzle out of his pocket and slipped it over the eel's head to keep it from biting. Sis had both hands on it, and she spread both her legs to she could get a better hold on it.

He helped her by laying on the eel. Soon they got the eel between them, and Sis wrapped her arms and legs around her boyfriend and they started to wrestle that darned eel between them, and that eel put up one hell of a fight. Sis squealed and her boyfriend almost upset the couch, and for a minute I thought the darned thing was going to get away from them, but Sis grabbed it just as it was going to get away from them and stuck it back between her legs. Pretty soon they gave a big long sigh and grunted and stopped moving.

"Her boyfriend got up and they sure had killed that eel because he hung, limber as a hot water bottle, with some of its insides hanging out. Sis and her boyfriend were all tired out from the battle. They started loving and kissing again, and by gosh, that eel came out and wanted to fight again. Sis gave a squeal and grabbed it in record time, and the way they both wrestled and battled with it-it was the best wrestling match I ever saw. This time they had a longer struggle, but Sis and her boyfriend finally won!

They really killed him this time because her boyfriend pulled its skin off and flushed it down the toilet."

Guest sneak

i have my older brother to thank. he gave me i think it was mase's album and i rinsed it out. got me into hip hop.

in a way though, i was in to garage 1st and i think that my taste in beats (hip hop, dnb, uk g etc) and not guitarres def. contributed to the fact that i listen to a wide range of music within a specific sound of music.

As with alot of folks here, I have my father to thank for my musical tastes. He still has vinyl from Sam&Dave, Otis Redding, War, James Brown, assorted funk/soul albums and FUNKADELIC!! Yeah, that's the shit! Original Funkadelic records, gems!

my mom always listened to the classic rock station in the car, but when i was 8 i found a dubbed tape of eazy-e eazy does it.. found it on the roof of the school across the street. listened to that shit 800000000000 million times a day everyday.

not anymore though, i lost it. that was 13 years ago.

Archived