where did your musical tastes derive from?

Guest fr8lover

Guest fr8lover

i was sitting around thinking about how i got into the type of music i was listening to today...

first i hate to say it but i first heard music from mtv..since about 2nd or 3rd grade...im not that old, though..

i remember watching bet rap city with bdp, old 2pac, ice cube...when i was in elementary school...

saw (i dont know if any of you canadians remember these guys) neds atomic dustin have a buzz clip on mtv in elementary school...saw nevermind and come as you are videos premeire...i see why i liked rock music..

first tapes bought : cure "wish," sonic youth, "dirty," jeff beck "blow by blow" how many kids in elementary school were rockin the SY? haha

my best friend and i would report to eachother what we saw on MTV NEWS each day in 3rd grade...its the most vivid memory i have of that time...back when 3rd bass made the news and hammer was still livin larggeee...

i was a product of music of the early 90s..so sue me...i also had please hammer dont hurt em and kriss kross...dont worry about it...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My parents were big Elvis Costello, Blondie, Devo, Sade, and other good late 70's/80's fans. My brother liked classical rock and metal. He bought a Downset cd from his friend and he didnt' like it so he gave it to me. It was my first cd so I wore the shit out of it. I met a girl through dance who found out I liked them and started taking me to local punk shows when I was about 12. There I discovered punk, ska, and some indie rock bands.. Then I discovered hardcore, which I could appreciate because it was angry but still wasn't metal (i hate metal).. Luckily I met some versitile kids within the hardcore scene who got me more into underground type hip hop. Around the same time I started going to a dance club where I met a couple good DJ's who got me into jungle and dnb. I don't know if I really have a musical path.. If I do, it's a versitile one. I'm exposed to a lot because of the kindof music I listen to, the kind of kids I meet, etc. I'm lucky I guess.

Man, my musical tastes have changed SO much over the years. But I still like slamming to some Europe, GNR, or Def Leppard. The 80's were cool.

I think my first CD I actually bought was the Beavis and Butthead compilation. It had Anthrax covering the Beasties "Looking Down the Barrell of a Gun". I was like 8 years old sporting a pretty stylin' mullet.

I've gone from listening to metal, to gangster rap, to electronica. Now, I don't have a favourite kind of music. If something is good, I'll listen to it. I'm the only person I know who can go from Jurassic 5 to Weezer to Massive Attack to Deftones to the Beatles to Radiohead to God Speed You Black Emperor to AFI to DELTRON 3030 in one half hour listening session.

I hate it when people ask me "what kind of music do you like?"

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont know...anyone that has an older brother or sister get really influenced when hes young.Not exactly influenced but its the music that floats around in the house.So when i was younger i listened to a lot of heavy metal and that kind of stuff(i think that the majority of kids born between 76-80 did)

I now listen to alot of different types of music,but i can tell you one thing,that comes from my heavy metal childhood...I really miss solo guitars.

Thats why i loved that stupid Daft Punk song!

Guest --zeSto--

Musical impressions are set really young.

I honestly didn't know the difference between Bob Marley, Raffi, Third World and the muppets. Shit was always being played.

Once you find roots, things will always go deep.

That's why organic textured music is big with me.

But on the other side...

always having midi gear and electro equipment in the house,

has made ukGarage and 2stap a little more palatable.

anyhoo...

I blame mommy leaving me with rockstar/rappabilly babbysitters. There really isnt anything I dont listen too. I love music. It can piss you off, make you violent, or it can be the flipside and have you all googly eyed in love and sad as shit. I blame groups like run dmc for sucking me into the early rap/breakbeat era. Groups like black flag and the decendents for making punk rock fun. Mom for playng Neil Diamond and Bozz Scaggs. You all know when you hear oldies you instantlt remember car rides to families houses and Shit. I blame sports for making me open minded and integrating all my musical tastes.

obviously,i think my mom had alot to do with it,she was real into classic rock,she loved jethro tull,zepplin,bowie etc.so i think thats were it statred for me,second i think skateboarding really shaped me musicly and generaly.skateing brought about the punk scene to my eyes and then the hardcore scene,more of the staight edge variety,skateing also got me into as cheesey as it sounds,the alternative side of rock,or modern rock and rollers.skateboarding also forced me to keep an open mind about music.i think mtv really got me into alot of things musically.i probally heard my first hip hop on mtv,in elementary school i hung out with alot of kids whos brothers and sisters were burn outs,so i got my apreciation for metal from them.as i got older and more awear of my surroundings,i think growing up in the detroit area shaped me also,being my appreiciation for old soul/motown stuff,jazz,and all thinks electronic.and now im open to just about anything,i listen to a wide variety of music and enjoy the new music experience,ill give anything a go.thats why music is great,it can change your whole outlook.

I'm ecleptic (sp). My origin into what music i like pretty much came from where i lived and my brother and sister. Being the late eighties i heard mad rap and shit , big hair bands, and freestyle. And my dad was always playin old shit like bobby womack, o.v. wright, barry white, heat wave, brothers johnson, stevie wonder.etc.. So that old disco and funk is the shit i love. Bout early 90's i heard lots of house from my brother so i subconsciencly began to like it , even though i said that shit is wack same with metal. So now im mostly hip hop and shit like that but i still listen to everything else..

The above probably make absolutly no sense to yall, but when i said it my mind it sounded good..

:confused: :confused:

My parents were really into motown oldies, almost anything on mtv, electro, funk, elvis, the beatles, doors, jimi etc. (They have this HUGE record collection - I will own them suckers one day) My uncle was really into early hip hop - run dmc, ll cool J, grandmaster flash, beastie boys, etc. Grandparents were into the mexican variety.. mariachi, salsa etc. The neighbors were into rock -- the heavy kind and the butt rock variety.

The first tape I owned was by sade. I loved it. The first cds I owned were a disco compilation & a techno compilation. My taste of music is wide.. I can appreciate all kinds. But of course.. I'm pretty particular when it comes to music these days because a lot of crap comes out. I need something with substance....

(I've been on a jazz kick lately - billie holiday, (bossa nova is where it's at!) astrud gilberto, stan getz, miles davis, john coltrane, etc etc)

i listende to old ice cube remember the predator album?! shit now i listen to hip hop like big l co. flow and street punk. i really have respect for all types of music except garbage alternative music with the sme three cords and mindless rembling fuck that shit.;)

Guest BilboBaggins

remember going through my dads discarded old tapes back in the early 90's....FRANK ZAPPA, TOTO, ABBA, BLACK SABBATH (?), SIMON AND GARFUNKEL, CARLY SIMON, JAMES TAYLOR, JANIS JOPLIN JIMI HENDRIX... etc...my mom would wake me up everymorning with the radio, so i was always listening to the latest alternative radio blabber in the am....I remember the first time i made out with a girl and touched boobie, BLONDIE "heart of glass" was playing, how appropriate....went on a vacation and this "cool" kid who was staying at the same place as us played me the BEASTIE BOYS - ill communication, that was my first hip hop exposure, my dad ragged on me when i started listening to it at home....i think i bought WUTANG 36 chambers from some kid for 5 dollars back in jr high.......i remember buying KRISSKROSS back in grade four or something...and i remember taping some other kids copy of an ACDC tape.......hell i got all types of flava up in this piece.....

cool topic....

when i was in grade school my parents totally dug grunge an all that shit, so i was rockin out to pearl jam and nirvana. my parents also for some reason really liked green day and rancid, so i started listening to that early on. i remember the first two tapes i ever bought were kriss kross, and stone temple pilots. weird. i also always listened to a bunch of jazz, which im now starting to really appreciate. my sisters boyfriends really shaped what i listen, an this dude got me into punk/ska, and also introduced me to built to spill and modest mouse. i tried to get into punk but never really dug it, so i started listening to more indie and emo shit. now its pretty much teh local scene that i dig, and hearing new bands and shit like that. i love hardcore and metal now too, and i wonder where the hell my musical ADD will take me next.

i just reread what i wrote and i hate myself. the end.

mine are weird.

growing up my mother got me listening to classical music. my brothers got me into cheesy 80's heavy metal, as well as rap like RUN DMC, doug e fresh etc... later my heavy metal tastes mutated to punk and my rap turned into gangsta rap. then later in high school i was more into hardcore (like the Gorilla biscuits style) and at the same time hip hop (like tribe, de la, etc.) and i grew to like 60's and 70's reggae. in the mid nineties i was into more noisy hardcore (swing kids, current, ebullition, gravity) and indie rock. later nineties was about bee bop jazz, plus trip hop, drum and bass, down tempo. lately i'm into hardcore agian (locust, orchid) and "underground" hip hop (anticon, rhymesayers, galapagos4, 1200hobos). the weird thing is, i still listen to every single one of these styles of music today and my roommates and coworkers trip on how i can listen to Mozart, then Charles Bronson, then Theloneous Monk, then freestyle fellowship, all in a row.

My parents liked really bad music and I liked it when I was like 6 or something. Then I moved and the kids were into rap. I never really got into that totally. I had like 3 rap CD's so it wasnt that bad. Then at middle school a lot of the kids and I started listening to Korn and limp bizkit (shudders), then by about my last year there we all were listening to punk rock. Towards the end of the last year I met this one kid who listened to everything that seemed to be non-mainstream, but was still great. Through him I was introduced to hardcore (im the only kid out of the group of my friends that likes it). Then I started going to shows. And I still like punk.

Guest dukeofyork

wow, they let a 10 year old by 36 chambers??? what the fuck were they thinking....

ha ha..

i listen to whatever makes me look more thug..:crazy:

cause its all about being a thug.

My tastes........

Hmmm.......

early on........i've been influenced by my parents playing shitty Merengue music wen we had people over. and your basic spanish pop tunes.......eck. i hate that shit now.

In grade school i was influenced by my brother playing alot of early 90's pro-hip hop movement, and alot of other stuff, like tribe, and people like house of pain, pharcyde, de la soul, pm dawn, ......... and i used to like think he was a god, my brother, cuz he was so damn cool.

and now i still mostly listen to that stuff

and wen 7th and 8th and 9th grade came around, i was alot into rock, hard shit, like metal bands.......some death metal

and then now that im almost out of highschool, i think i listen to alot of different stuff, but mostly rock.......alternative, hard rock.. but mostly i've really learned to not give a shit about people and do things on my own.........and i've kinda dropped out of the metal music genre cuz most of the known stuff out is crap.

my taste is good, but probably neutral in all areas.

Except i hate new hip hop, country and i DISPISE r and b.

during my elementary years.. i wwanted to be the big guy who was all hardcore rap.. gangster shit.. that followed me for about a year....

then i just stopped listening to music..

i started to get into more rockish shit.... i started listening to rage against the machine and deftones..listened to that about a year.. but i still listen to RATM

then i got into all that techno shit...that was for about a year.. i cant stand techno now.. then i got into turntablism.. which i still love.. great stuff..

then i got more into music with meaning.... this is has been going on with me for a while.. about 2 yrs or something.. at first i liked anticon.. now i cant stand them.. mainly now i listen to.. aesop rock, mrlif, cannibal ox, blackalicious, co flow, mos def, talib kweli, dilated ppls, j5..

i have no idea what the future holds for me in music..

occasionally i'll listen to some punk music.. but its not my favorite choice..

Originally posted by BilboBaggins

r....went on a vacation and this "cool" kid who was staying at the same place as us played me the BEASTIE BOYS - ill communication, that was my first hip hop exposure, my dad ragged on me when i started listening to it at home....

I hear that. I managed to convince my mum to buy it when we were at the mall. I think I was 10 ('94?). I remember singimg "Sabotage at the dinner table and saying "Fuck". My parents were mad pissed, so they listened to it, the first song they put on was "Get it Together" with Q-Tip. Needless to say, they took it away from me.

parents and most of my fam: working class and hippies

one of my earliest musical memories: michael jackson

'nother early musical moment: lacing up new pumas and listening to run dmc's rock box

it was down hill after that i went from metal/early hardcore to 80's alternative stuff. then i did a 180 and went right back into metal and a full blown hardcore addiction. that lasted for yearss... oof ahhh. now i'm on the punkier side of things with a good heaping of emo/indie? rock.

hehe, man i listened to some shitty music when i was a kid.

i used to hold one of those box shaped tape recorders up to the screen and record mtv top twenty, back in like 88,89. i didnt know what a walkman was.

i think the first tape i bought was michael jackson bad.

vanilla ice in 5th grade like whoa.

the next musical thread of my life was nirvana type shit when i was in 7th 8th grade. then i rediscovered skateboarding,( it had come a long way from the wide nosed old school boards of my youth) met this kid who was listening to green days old tapes on lookout about 6 months before they blew the fuck up. first punk tape i bought was bad religion how could hell be any worse. from then on it was punk through high school, and while skating met some kids who listened to more hip hop.

by the time i got halway through college, i was listeneing to punk, hardcore, hip hop, drum and bass, indy rock, and other shit.

nowadays i listen to about the same, but i try and buy varietys of music to keep it fresh. i like it when people flip thorugh my cds and say "what the fuck?"

Guest BilboBaggins

michael jackson!!!!!

i totally forgot him,,,,i was THE michael jackson fan on my block, i can moonwalk like a motherfucker,,....i got moves, hell i even rocked white pants and a glove for a while....seriously.

My dad listens to music constantly- apparently I knew the words to some of Frank Zappa's raunchier songs when I was too young to know what I was saying. My dad is cooler than me- he has all the music I wish I had- blues, funk, jazz, old hippie rock and some weird off the wall shit too... he's got an entire bedroom with stacks of vinyl- maybe 7 or 8 thousand albums. My aunt and uncle (bro and sis to dad) both play in the Houston Concert Band. My brother plays in a metal-band- he got me into actually purchasing my own music. There have been other influences- children's books on tape still have me whistling Peter & The Wolf. I do own quite a bit of hip-hop but I'm starting to like the music my dad likes again- enough to spend money on it.

Archived