bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

not really man, the better stopping in the wet argument is a favorite and its straight up wrong. maybe on some beat ass huffy calipers youd win but even the lowest sora or mirage brakes will son the fuck out of some fixie bullshit. straight truth. caman, you know im right.... :D

Disc brakes... fuck calipers.

When I train on my fixie and have to stop on a dime with some calipers, life sucks. On my winter bike with the disc brakes... it's glorious.

It doesn't help that it's been raining for what seems like two months now...

not really man, the better stopping in the wet argument is a favorite and its straight up wrong. maybe on some beat ass huffy calipers youd win but even the lowest sora or mirage brakes will son the fuck out of some fixie bullshit. straight truth. caman, you know im right.... :D

you're probably right but still. i've ridden with the roadies in the rain and ended up getting along fine, even having to stop on a dime when someone in front got a flat. calipers stop faster in the rain but it's not that significant of a difference and obviously it depends on a bunch of different factors on both sides of the equation. if someone has to put their balls to the stem to skid... all bets are off. joker is right on the disc brake thing though, i would never debate that.

idk hesh, you're still goign to go and talk shit for getting hit by some lady. i ride a bike through most weather, almost every day in the winter and absolutely every day in the other seasons, it's simple probability that someone isn't paying attention somewhere down the road.

Ok, so coming up here pretty soon, I will be looking into buying a new bike. I have had my last 2 bikes stolen, one on campus, and the other was in front of my house, so I dont want to buy anything too expensive, but I want something that is good and I can use everyday.

The bike shops around here are ok, there are 3 near me, one specializes in selling bianchi bikes, one does giant bikes, and the other is an ironhorse retailer.

I was wondering if you all could give me any suggestions on purchasing a fairly decent bike at a good price?

From what I have read about so far, bianchi is good,but ive seen far too many pistas ridden by hipsters to want to get one, ironhorse has good bikes, but the mountain bike I was looking at has some plastic components which I dont really dig on, and the giant and trek bikes I was looking at seem ok, but I want something a little bit more. The Mercier KiloTT looks like a pretty good starter bike, are there any other bikes that you all could possibly recommend? im open to mountain or road, I have realized though that while riding previously, I usually never shift my gears, and usually keep it on the lowest (hardest) gear.

Thanks.

I have been through many o pages of the bicicletas, I just thought asking for advice might stir up some new discussion and conversations.

But I am fully aware of the fail status that alot of people have been receiving, seems like asking a question around the Ch0, people are quick to give the banhammer.

I think im going to go with the Mercier Kilo TT. Seems like a good choice.

im looking to get a new bike for road riding in portland so i was wondering if i could get some advice. i am currently riding a pista and wanted to get a new frame. i was wondering if this frame is any good and if its a good deal, also i wanted to know if i should stick with he chro-moly or go to aluminum. here are the specs

Do not let the aero tube set fool you, 720TR is perfect for commuter or messenger bike, and just cruising around. 720TR is drilled to accept calipers, and it comes with 2 sets of water bottle bosses. 720TR is made with tough Series 6061 T6 HT double butted aluminum. The 720TR Fixed Gear frame geometry is similar to road bikes with an aggressive, exciting and comfortable ride. 720TR frame has horizontal dropouts, 120mm rear spacing. The horizontal dropouts have ample room for adjustment; you can use any combination of chain ring/cog choices. 720TR also has built in chain tensioners (set screws) so you can adjust it as hard as you like. You can also convert this frame into a track racing bike by just flipping your seat post around.

720TR_white_S1.jpg.f9573c5ce31b73f9d28ac2ad662577d1.jpg

Fun Haver...

Your image isn't there but a Google search for 720TR told me what you're looking at. I have no experience with those frames so I can't tell you much. I can tell you that the one thing that frame is missing is holes for full fenders in the winter time. I know a lot of fools roll without them and choose to because it just ain't cool to have fenders on your fixie... but be practical, you live in the Northwest. It's been raining for the last month. Sure, you can attach full fenders without the holes but it's a pain and doesn't always hold.

My advice is... if you want to be cool, sure go for it. The KISS-style typeface screams look at my coolness. But if you want to be practical, and stay dry, find something that has drilled holes to mount full fenders. If drilled holes for brakes doesn't bother you then drilled holes for fenders shouldn't either.

I have been through many o pages of the bicicletas, I just thought asking for advice might stir up some new discussion and conversations.

But I am fully aware of the fail status that alot of people have been receiving, seems like asking a question around the Ch0, people are quick to give the banhammer.

I think im going to go with the Mercier Kilo TT. Seems like a good choice.

unrelated, but BETELGEUSE how did you get your original join date? did you get it from the premium account? I would upgrade to premium if i could get my original sn back.

sent requests a few times to raven but never got any response...

i miss my old name...:crying:

unrelated, but BETELGEUSE how did you get your original join date? did you get it from the premium account? I would upgrade to premium if i could get my original sn back.

sent requests a few times to raven but never got any response...

i miss my old name...:crying:

I signed up this sn back in 2002 but hardly ever used it, but I wanted to show some propers to the 12 oz so I upgraded to premium. I used to have a sn even before this one but I dont remember what I put as the name so I just forgot about it.

Fun haver, those Leader frames are way harsh for street riding IMO. Maybe if you also plan on using it at the velodrome... but yeah that fat downtube stiffens the shit out of the ride immensely.

betelgeuse, what locks were you using when your 2 bikes got stolen? The Kryptonite Evolution is a tried and true u-lock for most of the time, it's important not to go cheap with locks and get a crappy cable or no-name u-lock.

and with the KiloTT, be aware that over the course of a year you will have to replace almost every part on it except the frame. The frames themselves are good stuff. The headset and BB are garbage, as are the hubs (threading strips easy) and cog (cheapo stamped POS if i remember right).

joker, what holes do i need to have full fenders because i agree wholeheartedly with getting them. and also what frame would you suggest for me under the 200$ price range. thanks

Not all frames are going to have them, especially frames with horizontal drop-outs, but what you're looking for are drilled and threaded holes just above the slide in the rear drop-out. And on the fork there should be the same thing just above where the wheels hub sets in the fork. These drilled and threaded holes give you a solid mount for full fenders and also give you the opportunity to take them off really easily come the nicer weather.

If you go with a frame that has no holes you can still mount full fenders but it's best to have a shop do it for you.

I don't know much about fixies or prices for frames of fixies so I can't be of too much help there. I bought my IRO for about $240 at Cyclepath on MLK. I'm sure if you shopped around online or on ebay you could find a good deal on many a bike...

Hope that helps.

So for the last hour or so I've been catching up on the world of cycling news. I've been paying more attention to other things lately so I wanted to catch up.

Rock Racing... whoa. That guy is really building a team he hopes will cause damage. Tyler Hamilton, Santiago Botero and Oscar Sevilla? Three guys involved in Puerto and this guy signs them. I like Tyler, doper or not, but dude should just let it go and pick up skiing again or maybe triathlons. I don't think he's going to get a fair shake in the cycling world. I think there are more folks who want him gone for not owning up than there are folks who are stoked he's back on a team, even a domestic one. And the Spanish boys... If they can ride like they have in the past, without the dope... Rock Racing is going to be a team to contest in the big races. Botero is a good TT'er and Sevilla, an in form Sevilla, can climb pretty well. But both have been way off their game in years past. I hope they've been training right and are ready to clear their names.

As for Michale Ball himself... not sure what to think about the guy. I kinda like his "Fuck you!" attitude and his desire to build the best team while building his brand but is he really good for the sport? Part of me likes the freshness of some guy telling a sponsor who's dropped the team (due to signing Hamilton) that it's no big deal. He'll buy the company and build better, cooler wheels. I doubt he could but I like that kind of 'tude. BUt is it good for the sport? The team? The riders? I mean, say this guy burns every possible bridge with sponsors, race organizers and whoever else... will those people hold their grudge against the riders as well? Obviously I'm looking out for local hero Doug Ollerenshaw.

I also read that Astana had their training camp in the states. Kinda weird, but whatever.

The wife wants to go to the Tour of California again this year because her "crush" - Tom Boonen - is racing it this year. She gets all gooey-eyed when Tom is racing. She's even trying to get me to go to Belgium for some spring classics so she can get closer to him. I'm not worried though. She's cute as a button but Tom's girlfriend is blazing.

Weather is so shit right now... no desire to go out and train. And my indoor trainer is at a friends house. Oh well. Maybe I'll make some cupcakes.