bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

40 miles today. The headwind on the first half combined with my lowered tire pressure made for a real bitch of a ride... coming back was great though, tailwind intervals baby :D

My seatpost has been slipping, I haven't been noticing, and it's been fucking with my knees. Ughhh. Gotta figure out the optimal height once again, which I'm in the process of...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Pretty bad crash today. Hit a rock on a descent going about 40mph and it sent me flying. I tumbled for what seems like an hour. Rear derailleur hanger snapped off the frame. Just broke right off. Brand new bike and now it's garbage. I'm in such shock that I'm not even angry...

Whoa Joker, that sucks big time man. Sorry to hear that, hope there's atleast something in your bike that's salvagable for the next build. That must have been one huge ass rock...

I threw a chain descending down one of the biggest hills of my life, my speed had to have been atleast 35 but no more than 40... Luckily it didn't lock up the rear wheel or I'd probably suffer a similar fate. No helmet but no traffic either (country road hill). The feeling of having your life in your hands is scary as fuck, needless to say I no longer run a slack chain.

that sucks joker.

the worst thing i've ever broken on a bike was a rear D hanger. 12 miles in on a there an back... long walk out. i took off my chain and D , it was actually kind of fun working my way down through the rock garden section (very slow, technical part) w/o the tension the chain gives the chainrings.

and of course tacos and blown/smashed spokes

Right now I'm working with the shop where I got the frame to see if the warranty will cover the damage. If not hopefully my homeowners insurance will cover it. Either way... I'm out for the Spring races this year. Which is fine because I hate racing in the rain.

Other than the wheels all the parts on the bike are salvageable, thankfully. The bit that broke is that little piece of the rear drop out that hangs down that the rear derailleur attaches to. The front rim is bent and has a huge ding where it hit the rock, so no truing of the rim is going to fix that. The rear wheel has several broken spokes and the hub shifts back and forth on the axle. Thankfully they were my cheap wheels.

Once again my helmet saved my life. Huge gouges in the thing, ton of scratches and cracks and missing pieces all across the back of it. I'll admit, I hate wearing 'em... but that is the third time I've had one on in a bad crash, and been glad I did. So guys... please, wear a helmet.

not following you here. are you saying it builds up below the UCI limit of 15lb? if so, why not throw some steel drops and a disc to add a little weight, shit.

There's a guy at the track who's got one with disc front and rears and its STILL too light. The bike's a trip. You either love or hate BMC bikes. I feel the same way about Krestels too.

Damn joker that's fucking scary as hell. I've broken a deraileur hanger before. My shop didnt have a replacement in the shop so they found a close enough fit and filed it down.

Lots of road rash... lots and lots. Even in areas where my jersey and shorts had no damage. kinda weird.

I wish I could just replace the derailleur hanger and be done with it. It was part of the carbon frame so the whole frame needs replacing. I contacted a few carbon repair shops, including Calfee and none said it could be fixed. Insurance won't cover accident damage and the warranty on the bike doesn't cover what has happened. Look offered me a deal on a replacement so I took it... and will now be broke for at least a year.

Right now, I do not like nice bikes.

My knees have been hurting lately due to a slipping seatpost + me trying to reevaulate what seat height I should be riding.

Heel of the shoe is supposed to very lightly scrape the the pedal at 6 o clock position, yes? No rocking hips obviously. Got my KOPS dialed in as far as I know with the plum line connecting the inside of my knee to the ball of my foot which lines with the pedal spindle. Anyone got anything else to recommend? Can't afford a pro-fit right now. I know my left foot is bigger than my right which makes cleat positioning interesting, no idea if my left leg is also bigger or not. How about stretches, rehab? I push 73 gear inches on almost entirely flat terrain so I don't think it's the gearing because my RPMs are usually always above 80. I'm trying to race Sunday and I don't care if my knees hurt or not, I'll rest before it and after it's done. I put 40 minutes of high cadence on the rollers yesterday, today probably do the same and go to the store for glocousamine because it beats Advil.

Rubbish... there's this online set-up to help figure out where you should be set on your bike. It's not super scientific but for what it is, it falls very, very close. I have done this once before I had an actual Wobblenaught fit and the adjustments made through Wobblenaught were very minor compared to the measurements I got through this fit calculator. Worth a try if you have the time.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Oooh, bicycle thread! Suffice to say I like bikes of the mountain riding variety.

Cannondale Chase

729 rims

XTR brakes goodrige lines and dangerboy levers

41Thermal cranks (not in this pic)

Azonic shorty stem

Kenda K-Rads

Odi lock ons

Sherman jumper forks

DTSwiss hubs

Can't remember what bars I'm running right now

Sunn Ringle ZUZU's

Picture008.jpg

Unfortunately, this and my other bikes are back home in Australia along with all my pics of me doing silly things on them. I also have/had a Foes 03 fly (super pimped out specs, great bike) Felt EpoXC, another great bike but I cracked the frame, Kona stinky, tough bike and am riding this Cannondale 1FG whilst I'm here in China.

1FG (1 fucking gear)

Rockshox Dukes (old school, top forks)

Dice EFD's laced with DTSwiss spokes, chunky as hell

Formula hubs

LX cranks

Crappy stem/bars/seat

Avid juicy 5s

IMG_4373.jpg

Yeah I know, I 've got to get around to that. I don't have tools here and the bike mechs here leave a bit to be desired.

1FG has Kona Jack Shit pedals; nothing special but do the job.

Chase has Sun/Ringle ZUZUs; best pedals ever along with soljam vipers.

Does Australia have a DH scene???!! Ever hear of Sam Hill, Nathan Rennie, Jared Graves, etc.?

yes, we have a massive DH scene. Just the state series in NSW gets around 300 or more entrants in each race and the numbers are growing to fast for organisers to keep up with. I moderate an Australian MTB forum (DH oriented) that has 25 000 members. That may not seem that big but when you think Australia only has 20 000 000 people in it, that's over 0.5 of our population and it's one of the largest MTB national forums in the world. We're bigger than Ridemonkey in Canada and are starting to gain on Pinkbike as well (can't find their stats anymore though...).

So yeah, it's pretty big back home.

What do you ride? any pics of your bike?

wow. yeah i guess i had no idea what you have down there. thats quite impressive. i don't really follow much mountain bike press, i just ride...

my main bike (picture) i use for everything (inefficiently) but i'd consider myself an xc rider.

here's my bike before fork and a couple other upgrades

l_721d3d7b040002bbf28351075781c855.jpg

mods since:

marzocchi xc 600

crank bros platforms

titec stem

i've got a couple other bikes right now that i'm going to strip down to build a 9 speed. not yet decided on frame

very seriously considering YETI or SPOT.

Can't see any gears on our bad boys up there^^^^

Single speed FTW!

Nice bike Fist666! You're running the avid BB7 mech brakes. A little heavy but better and more powerful than many hydos on the market! What rims are they, they look SWEE'eeet!

Yeti? Now that's some serious bicycling your talking there. I'd love a Yeti!

yeah, the avids are heavy--but for the price...

i used to ride xtr rim brakes, but since i got here (pacific northwest) its such consistently wet riding that disc really seems the only way to be up here. next build i'm going hydro

the rims are vuelta XCs. not the greatest rim on earth, but they've held up well so for the price i'm happy w/ them

yeah, i'd be stoked to get a yeti. i've ridden a few of my buddies and been very appreciative, plus i like them as a company.

honestly i'm hesitant to invest that much though, over the last 5 years i've had 2 bikes stolen and been fucked by my insurance on both.

are those the LX hollowtechs? i've got the XT's for the build. sexy.

not that i am particularly affected by bike legislation but...

dude gets killed doing an alleycat in chicago.

chicago law looking into the sitch.

dude drops off a bomb in front of a recruiting office in NYC.

NYPD on the lookout for hoodie sporting cyclists.

looks like the first and second city might

get a taste of some of that west coast backlash.

brake laws/enforced helmet laws/registration etc.

might prove interesting.

I am about to spend all of my hard earned cash on this........

vn7Celeste.jpg

Bianchi vn, 07 model, 10 spd veloce, alu frame, carbon fork and seat stays. the wheels seem average. and it comes in that awesome celeste green colour.

any thoughts?

I tested it. seems like a good ride and fit. decent quality, good components.

any recommendations for pedals?

I like Barry and I like cinelli, but I'm not paying $3k to combine the two.

Kmart it looks good. Really it comes down to personal preference, which if you've never owned a modern road bike before you havent developed yet. Geometry looks loose, which is good for what you want, and if you decide later you want more competitive bike just get a longer stem which'll give better handling too.

As for pedals: My Look Keos are probably near 13,000 miles now after a year and a half and still good.

I paid $150US but you can find em for half off. I'm on my fourth pair of cleats which were like $16US a pair.

Hey rubbish, I was always taught at the 3:00 position your knee should vertically align with the axle of your pedal, and at 6:00 your heel should just rest without stretching anything. I just ride with a hex and change shit on the fly. Knees hurt = needs to be higher, hips hurt = needs to be lower.

What crank size are you running?

cheers soup.

Yea I dont really have much of a personal preference yet, but i tried a few bikes, this was the one that stood out.

found some look keos on a local net shop site for cheap. probably get those.

and ill sort out shoes/cleats next week or something.

i think i will be spending a lot less time on the oontz.