bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thatd be a typo.

Edit:

I decided to ride up mt diablo to see if I could see the snow. I couldnt feel my legs the entire time,headwind was on me the entire time, rain was pouring the entire time, and the last five miles to the summit were closed. I was thinking of hopping the gate but decided not. Maybe tomorrow.

Today was fun. Three hours in freezing rain. Only slipped a few times but when I finally rolled into the garage and checked out my bike... it was covered in ice. The edges of my tires were covered in ice. My crotch was covered in ice. My gloves, helmet, neck gaitor... all covered in ice.

What the hell was I thinking?

well i'm new to this this thread and i guess i got a few phrases i'd like to drop.

questions:

--a few pages back i heard stuff about pro-tec helmets. i have one. its all i could afford at the time. plus it was a snowboardhelmet so it was insulated which helps me. first timer when it comes to winter. whats wrong with pro-tec?

--i live in minneapolis. a coworker of mine mentioned this stupor bowl thing next saturday. anyone from here going? i know one other bike enthusiast here and i havent talked to him yet.

http://www.myspace.com/stuporbowlxi

--i want to learn about fixing/modifying/building my own bikes. there are classes offered at a local bike co-op (the hub) and i was thinking of taking a few classes when my budget permits (the co-op also has its own workshop you can rent. tools and all. which is probably what i need since i have no tools and once again. im basically on monetary survival mode)

i guess all i had were questions. i apologise for not really contgributing to the tvread. ive read several pages and im still in the dark about basically everything.

i'm done. thanks

oh i remember. i tried out the critical mass thing on friday for the first time.

apparently they were "raided" Or something by the cops a few months ago. no surprise. i dropped out when i realised that it was an asshole parade. i felt embarrased to be seen with them. then i wanted to apologise to all the motorists. i went home and ate dinner instead. no wonder people i talk to tend to dislike bikers.

then i searched the omniscient 12oz. and i was right. basically an asshole parade. which i think is a shame. it seems like a good idea gone bad.

\

--a few pages back i heard stuff about pro-tec helmets. i have one. its all i could afford at the time. plus it was a snowboardhelmet so it was insulated which helps me. first timer when it comes to winter. whats wrong with pro-tec?

in and of itself, there is nothing wrong with pro-tec helmets. when it comes to performance i vouch for them doing their job personally. i used to dirt jump. the reason they were probably being mocked is solely image oriented--skate helmets are good for skate, bmx, snow, rollerblades--the image works w/ park sports. bikes with big wheels have different style helmets (though lots of mtb dirt jumpers still wear pro tec or tsg or the like)...

it'd be like me showing up at the skate park on my 20 in bib shorts and cycling cap...

just wondering.............did anyone stateside or anywhere follow the tour down under??

Andre Greipel just won.

but really do many people outside of australia even care about this race?

its the first pro race outside of europe, and was hyped a lot here. but still a lot of bigger name riders didn't come out.

thoughts?

I followed it. I usually do every year. It seems like a fairly boring race to follow but I enjoy keeping up on Pro races, and being that it's the first one of the year... I get hooked. There's no online video coverage that I've found, but plenty of text and photo coverage to whet the appetite.

It's crazy how many stages Andre won... it was like three, right? That's a great start to the year for Team High Road. He beat out McEwen and O'Grady, and O'Grady was talking about how on form he is right now.

The Tour of Qatar starts today. Talk about a boring race! Pan flat with high winds for every stage. Boring! But I guess when there's a big cash prize waiting for you at the end...

does anyone know anything about a 1980's Bianchi Mondial? I tried to look it up but all i could find is the 2000 something hybrid version. Heres what I'm talking about

Bianchi Mondial 56 Circa. 1980's - $275

010209010304011606200801276decadfa3f47e2f588003d6f.jpg

"Very good condition. Sante Group front and rear derailleurs, Ofmega cranks, Mavic G40 wheels with shimano hubs."

seller says it is Reynolds tubing, but isn't sure.

and before anyone asks, no i am not planning on converting it to fixed gear street machine.

any thoughts?

If it's not something instantly (historically) special looking, old road bikes are sold by the pound. Price is more customary than that thing actually having a monetary value. $150. No more than $180 if you like the guy.

On second look the dude's got track drops on it. Walk away.

I followed it. I usually do every year. It seems like a fairly boring race to follow but I enjoy keeping up on Pro races, and being that it's the first one of the year... I get hooked. There's no online video coverage that I've found, but plenty of text and photo coverage to whet the appetite.

It's crazy how many stages Andre won... it was like three, right? That's a great start to the year for Team High Road. He beat out McEwen and O'Grady, and O'Grady was talking about how on form he is right now.

The Tour of Qatar starts today. Talk about a boring race! Pan flat with high winds for every stage. Boring! But I guess when there's a big cash prize waiting for you at the end...

yea it isn't the most exciting race on the tour. still followed it. being local and all.

greipel definitely dominated, with 4 stages.

i managed to see two stages live. i rode to one of them, and had a bit of fun trying to race to various spots where i could watch from. :spent:

If it's not something instantly (historically) special looking, old road bikes are sold by the pound. Price is more customary than that thing actually having a monetary value. $150. No more than $180 if you like the guy.

On second look the dude's got track drops on it. Walk away.

nah soup, a lot of old school bikes had drops that deep. they didn't have the same bend at the stem that track drops have. it's just an older style, pre-ergo drops. i like it myself.

i have no idea what a sante group is. if it had all campy record he could ask a lot more. i'm gonna say no more than 180-200 if everything is in perfecto working order.

sante was shimanos aesthetically 80s 'upgrade' of ultegra 600.

they are 600 quality components painted white to compete with suntour

which, stylistically, had been giving shimano a run for their money.

unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your POV, shimanos bottom line

philosophy pushed suntours less profitable style and substance out of the market.

I picked it up for 210. needs a new front hub though, so I'm probably going to end up paying a little too much after thats all said and done. Its a pretty nice bike from what i can tell, and its barely been ridden at all. Guy said he spend 1200 on it in the 80's but who knows. Looks a lot nicer in person.