bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
HELLO! Earth to Joker.

BUY THE LOOK! Fuck all that Cannondale noise. Look has been making Carbon

bicycles longer than just about everyone. Very nice stuff. You need a good mechanic

to cut the post for you though. Buy the Look.

Unless you want to buy American, but the Americans that will sell you one are jerks

so forget them...buy the Look.

You prolly have race wheels already. If you don't like DA sell it and

buy Chorus or Force.

My 2 cents.

That's some funny shit! Thanks Nerd... I do appreciate the feedback.

I knew Look made great bikes and in comparrison was more than likely the better of the two. Though sometimes you can never be sure, so I wanted to get some thoughts from anyone on here who might of known something. You seem to know a great deal so I trust your feedback.

I went with the Look 595 Ultra ...

Look_595_Ultra_2008_Frameset.jpg

I'm placing my order this evening. The best part about the deal is I can build it up how I want. I'm cool with DA but am really interested to try the new SRAM Red. However, my budegt told me that DA is just fine. I don't have race wheels anymore but I have a set of the carbon Reynolds SDV66C on order through the team deal. A few of my team mates rode them this year and rave about them so I made the leap. I rode the Ritchey Carbon Clinchers this year and they were great wheels but I've sold them to try these Reynold ones out.

So I'm pretty excited to get this new bike. Now I just have to find someone to buy my 07 Scott CR1 SL... that should be fun.

my boy joe rides that frame and loves it.

funny, last season he was on the scott cr1.

i hate my schedule so bad w/ the current times of sunset... i work through every light hour, get off work in the dark. and its been raining on the weekends. and i know, plenty of you man up during the rain... i don't. i get unmotivated and end up watching van wilder or something...

Yo Joker: That is gonna be a serious Protour machine. Reynolds wheels are top

notch. I don't know much about the Scotts but I can tell you the Look is a predictable

and stable ride. Comfortable road racing bike geometry. But it is racing geometry. No

doubt about it. I have assembled some older KG586's and the craftsmanship is

amazing. The Look tubes are only stiff where they need to be. Each tubeset is

different for each size frame as well. Comfort is a big consideration in a Euro road

frame for the big mileage. US bikes are usually crit machines super stiff at all costs.

Boooo. Cannondales are great racing machines but I think you are getting something

special with the Look. Way more racing knowledge behind the Look marque. Yeah

that SRAM is nice Force or RED. You will be posting the flicks no?

I have a few I'll get around to posting myself.

I have some cool racing machines.

Somebody's goning to be a happy camper.

Are you goning to assemble it?

Have fun. I'm jealous.

HAhAh.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to be getting the 595 for the deal I got. It's definitely going to be a bike worthy of someone much better than me, but that's okay. I'll defiintely post flicks once I get it. I will not be building it myself... I have a friend who's a bike mechanic who'll be building it. I can barely adjust my brakes...

Ive been wanting a motorcycle for as long as ive wanted a bicycle, but so far I definitely like cycling more. Dont tell the motorbike thread.

I can try to sum it up this way: Wild Cat canyon is an eight minute drop from Inspiration point onto San pablo dam road. Most of the turns have decreasing radii with *15 mph* warning signs, meaning you either gotta wuss out or commit to speed and prepare to lean the shit out of the bike. Ive seen newbies wreck into trees on this road before. Some left turns have been dug up like they're gonna be repaved, but they haven't in two years. Some of the right turns are totally fucking blind right until you pass the apex. There is also some road work actually going on so on one part a sign says *fresh oil* and the road is fucking slicked. All this you're going about 35 mph the entire time, which is always to the surprise of traffic since right before the road goes downhill they try to pass you. If they pass you, youre tailing some dumbass in his MR2 who thinks he can drive, so your options are to either sprint up the hill and cut off the driver, or sit on his ass until he brakes for the hairpins and pass him on the inside.... into an oncoming car... then down a cliff.

On a Motorcycle:

Rough road? No problem. Fresh oil? Doesn't matter. Too much entering speed? You've got nine hundred times the grip and a billion times the braking power. Worried about getting passed on the up-grade? Nope. Try to pass a car on the inside and hit an oncoming truck? Your face will be fine!

On a bicycle: You can actually feel the speed because the wind is actually ripping at your eyeballs and ears. The rough road is a jarring and scary fucking experience and right as it smooths out you're up on the bike pedaling to pickup up lost speed. Everything about a bicycle is a fight. You're fighting to stay with or ahead of traffic, you're fighting the hills, the road conditions as you predict the dips in the road and use your arms to dampen the shock, the wind as you try to aero yourself out. Thats what makes it fun and exciting. On a motorcycle with the helmet and crash gear you're as numb as if you're in a car. Its not something I connect to like i do with cycling.

The only difference between a bike and a car is when youre on the freeway going 100. That wind is retarded.

maybe because you don't know shit. or you're just a sarcastic internet forum dood, i don't know.

anytime i want to make fun of a bike, i can conveniently label it a mongoose, and everyone will start laughing.

on the real, 100 dollars is a lot better spent on craigslist buying some old 70's 10-speed than it is on the vast supply of retarded walmart "mountain bikes" that you see idiots riding on the sidewalks in every major metropolitan city. these are the guys drivers love to love, and pedestrians hate to hate, not only because their handlebars take out every oblivious pedestrian in site while sidewalk steve chats on his cell phone and eats a donut, but he's so afraid of the street that he'll never veer off into the bike lane / traffic.

oh trust me, i'm not mad. i'm just trying to make a point. ignorance isn't bliss, it's a bitch. buying a craptastic walmart bike for a "dependable" commuter only to have it fall apart on you is a lesson to be learned i suppose. i'm just saying, as far as 100 bucks goes, buying a used road bike off craigslist that's been sitting in some guy's basement for the past twenty years is generally going to give you more bang for your buck. just a heads up.

my bike is just fine..take your elitist attitude and shove it were the sun dont shine man

First... I'm just glad you ride at all.

Second... you came into a thread dedicated to bikes. Now, think to yourself for one minute... did you really think all you'd find in here is a bunch of folks talking about how cool their Walmart / KMart / Target / Fred Meyer / Costco bike is?

C'mon... it's a thread dedicated to cycling. It's not a thread dedicated to tooling around the neighborhood on a beater.

Some of us are elitists and damn proud of it, so trust me... you're not dissing anyone with that comment.

Besides... how can anyone take anything you say seriously with a screen name like that?

Soup: I feel you on the bike sentiments. Shit is rugged. When tough guy fools

I know bust on me for racing and the tights they always shut up when I break it

down. 60 MPH in a millimeter of lycra is serious shit. One mistake and its ICU for

weeks. Even at 30 or 40 a crash is disaster. It's just like graff. You're on point or you

pay the price. Some of the craziest and most psycho people I know are all about road

racing for exactly those reasons.

Don't know you're living until you're dying.

why you say that? mongoose is a good bike

Okay dude with crazy Butter issues.

Here's the deal with Mongoose. Several years ago they were bought by a larger

company. In an attempt to get a bigger market share the new owners started to

sell Mongoose to department stores. This is a very bad thing for a quality bicycle

brand only sold by independent bike dealers. Why?

Two things happen.

1. In order to sell at walmart prices the quality of the bike goes down considerably.

2. #1 causes the brand to loose it's reputation as a legitimate bicycle maufacturer.

The repercusions of this are independent bike dealers (local shop) can no longer sell

a $1500.00 Mongoose or a $350.00 for that matter because walmart has em for

$100.00. The loose there cache.

$100.00 bikes last about a year with daily use. If you are a teenager shit will last half

a summer. The first repair cost will generally eclipse the initial cost of the bike.

So to hear you are on two years you are doing well.

If you were to depend on that bike you would have been dissapointed a long time

ago. I'm sorry to say you fell for the plan and bought what you thought was a

Mongoose of old (the guys who made em' good) so the new guys could get rich.

With that said you are having fun riding and the bike is lasting. That is good.

I bet you take care of your possessions which is nice. You know the value of a dollar.

If you ever decide to get more bike invoved come back and ask questions "bicicletas"

is good for info.

I'm not hating either. This may explain why doods were all Ha ha.

YAY! Getting my bike today

tt_sml.jpg

peep this

Yo that shit is nice and simple.

Shop or interwebz?

Make sure the lock ring is tightened all the way. Kids were stopping into

the shop I was at with loose lockrings out of the box. If you just got it in the mail

tighten everything down. Manufacturers only put it together for shipping not out the

box riding.

Local shop ignore what I said and enjoy the new bike day.

I just put together my old cross bike as a get around Mischief Machine. All the good

spots are far apart skating or trackside.

hmm. mercier kilo tt is a good track bike for a start up. just be aware you'll probably upgrade everything on there except the frame. you may want to replace the cog right out of the box too - had a friend buy the same bike, cog stripped into the hub threadings pretty quick. the frame itself is good - it's just a rebadged khs flite 100, so double butted reynolds 4130, oversized tubes, a little stiffer for a steel bike. overall a good ride and nice geometry... just be prepared to ditch everything else as it slowly craps out on you (headset and bb especially).

Soup: I feel you on the bike sentiments. Shit is rugged. When tough guy fools I know bust on me for racing and the tights they always shut up when I break it down. 60 MPH in a millimeter of lycra is serious shit. One mistake and its ICU for weeks. Even at 30 or 40 a crash is disaster. It's just like graff. You're on point or you pay the price. Some of the craziest and most psycho people I know are all about road racing for exactly those reasons.Don't know you're living until you're dying.

Haha yeah noone really understands how you cant compare motorsports to cycling. Motorcycles are awesome and all but using four hundred pounds of technology instead of my body just seems kindof nerdy. It makes no sense why motorcycles are "badass" and cyclists as "dorky."

I get fucking agro for those downhills. When I'm climbing I'll sit in the middle of the road and block a line of cars behind me just so I don't have to sit on their wheel the entire time on the way down. If they try to pass me in the oncoming lane I'll block them because if they chill the fuck out for a few seconds I'll be gone and they can get back to driving the speed limit.

I'll also jokingly cuss out cyclists when Im sitting on their wheel downhills, but usually because they passed me up the hill.