INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

I agree a little with Omen. Garvey is definitely the most permanent shit I've come across so far. But until I try ever fucking alcohol based ink and dye I can get my hands on, I'm not going to agree 100%...

And don't sleep on the additives... Plenty of people out there have great luck of that shit.

EDIT: I'd just like to say that there are times when mixing is good. Say you have an ink that stains but isn't opaque at all. You can mix that shit to the right proportions with an opaque ink and have the best of both worlds. Another time when mixing is preferred is when you have a nice ink that is a little too thin or thick. You get the idea. Not everyone can get their hands on the perfect shit... And just as Omen said, custom colors are another thing you can get out of it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have Garvey that I got in the mail 2 days ago. I added it to a pilot and poked a shitload of holes in the tip. Its drippy and really nasty. I am getting one of those flowpens from OTR and filling it up with Garvey. I am also thinking about mixing Garvey with Feibings just to see what I get. I have another Garvey 8oz XT-70 Bottle coming in the mail, so I'm gonna fuck around with the Garvey I have now because if I mess it up I have more. So I should be expecting the following stuff in the mail within the next week - 6 XXXL Montana Hardcore Cans, 2 Montana Hardcore Pocket Cans, 4 4oz Bottles of Purple Feibings, and 1 8oz Bottle of Violet Garvey :cool:

EDIT:

What is the white shit omen talks about to add to the inks to get nice colors?

Originally posted by chumbawumba

I have Garvey that I got in the mail 2 days ago. I added it to a pilot and poked a shitload of holes in the tip. Its drippy and really nasty. I am getting one of those flowpens from OTR and filling it up with Garvey. I am also thinking about mixing Garvey with Feibings just to see what I get. I have another Garvey 8oz XT-70 Bottle coming in the mail, so I'm gonna fuck around with the Garvey I have now because if I mess it up I have more. So I should be expecting the following stuff in the mail within the next week - 6 XXXL Montana Hardcore Cans, 2 Montana Hardcore Pocket Cans, 4 4oz Bottles of Purple Feibings, and 1 8oz Bottle of Violet Garvey :cool:

EDIT:

What is the white shit omen talks about to add to the inks to get nice colors?

White Marsh.

Sounds like you been hitting up ebay alot lately. haha

By thet way, in case anyone has any interest in ordering some vintage, lead based Marsh, here's an auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=35682

Fuck OTR....get empty bombing flow pens from urban designz. They are exactly the same as OTR, same size same nibs and are cheaper...Put your Garvey or whatever in them and get busy.

Empty Flow Pens...Urban Designz

ps,

If you really want vintage lead die hard ink try to find Flomaster....it is better than Marsh...Not only is it not made anymore...The company is not around anymore. So, you would really score with a pint or two of Flomaster.

I wasnt going to get them directly from OTR, I was going to email newz12 and see if I could get empty ones off bombing science but since they already have them on urban designz it'll save me the trouble, thanks. Yeah rubbish I have been on ebay lately, my birthday passed and I got lots of money to spend. I might even get that Marsh, havent looked at it yet depends on the price.

EDIT:

That auction comes out to around 7 dollars and its for 1oz, correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats pretty damn small. I might be interested, is it that much better then old Marsh?

Don't forget that you can get a Zig marker, empty that water ink without getting any on the nib and refill with your own shit.. The only thing is that it can be leaky... very inconvenient.

If anyone does decide to do this, refill as followed:

Take the nib out, get a pen and poke the little valve thing under the nib - hold the marker upside down under a sink. As long as you press down the valve thing, ink will flow through. After you drain all the ink, get it thoroughly clean and dry, and than add your custom stainers...

This way beats the other method of untwisting the marker and breaking the seal...

edit: Yeah, it is a bit overpriced. I have no idea how that shit is, never used it - but one ounce is pretty damn small. I was going to get some but I've changed my mind.. I'm going to try out that T-Grade Pigment because no one really seems to know anything about it...

I had a posterman and I unscrewed it and filled it with very thinned out rusto oil based. I closed it back on and I kept pressing down on the nib and it wouldnt flow through at all and it was the drippiest, thinnest paint I ever made. So I unscrewed it again and popped the flow thing out from under the nib and it still wouldn't flow. Then I poured the paint out and soaked the nib in the paint for 3 days, it still wouldn't soak into the tip, so I wound up throwing it out. Oh well. Thats how you learn I guess.

EDIT:

Yeah I thought so too. Where are you getting this pigment ink from? Maybe I'll try some myself. Thanks.

Thank you both of you.

EDIT:

Woo, that Marsh is pricy. I'm going to put the Marsh on hold for now but I'll definitley check that out some time soon.

You are right about the Marsh paint ink being a little pricy.

But, the Marsh T-Grade Dye Type Black (below) is a pretty good deal....you get a whole pint for about 15 bucks. It is better than Nero and OTR hard to buff and you get twice as much for about 5 bucks more...15 bucks for a pint of any good ink is a good price.

T-Grade Dye Type Black Marsh,,,15 bucks a pint, click here.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

White Marsh.

Sounds like you been hitting up ebay alot lately. haha

By thet way, in case anyone has any interest in ordering some vintage, lead based Marsh, here's an auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=35682

It is not worth it...Especially, if you want it to actually use it...it is for collectors, like people who collect fine wine. It is only one once, it looks to be 25 to 30 years old. I remember getting a container of 4 oz marsh that was on the shelf for 6 years and it was only 2 thirds full...Plus, the ink did not really flow that well. You are better off not getting ink that is that old...unless you are collecting it and not using it to tag with. 1 once is not even enough to do shit...you would be better off getting a 3 dollar container of black pilot ink...that stuff is pretty good by the way...But, only the black.

What it means when they say transparent, means it is not a paint or opaque type ink. That's all. With the transparent, it is thinner and flows better. It is just as black on a wall. But, if you use it on glass it will be dark to the point that you can hardly see through it...But, if you use paint/opeque ink. It is a solid black and if it is used on glass. and you covered the whole window with marsh opaque. No light will shine through at all.

I would rather use the transparent...Because, it is a dye type ink and it is drippy as hell.

@rubbish...Good find!

By the way. Garvey, Marsh T-Grade "Dye Type," OTR-Hard To Buff, Pilot Ink, Nero, are all transparent inks. That does not mean that they are not dark as hell on things you can't see through. But, if you cover a piece of glass with the above inks, and shine a light through the glass...you will see the light...It will just be very dim. But, if you use paint/opeque ink and cover the glass. You should not be able to shine any light through it at all.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

hey omen, i found some flomaster ink on ebay. it's expensive (10 for 2 ounces). http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/72/f5/40_1_b.JPG is a picture.. i'm not sure if it's the right shit, it says "transparent black ink"... the transparent is what gets me.

Anyhow, it is not even worth getting these old inks.... Especially if you intend on using it. It is just for trading purposes.

Flomaster was all we used back in the days. It came in 4oz and pint containers. They had so many colors that I can't name them all. You could get at the local graff store for like a $1.99 for 4oz. it was worth it. Too bad they stopped making it:(

Yeah I know how that goes. Anywho this sort of has something to do with ink. I was in my local yard a little while ago when I found a dickies messenger bag sitting by a freight. It had dusty footprints on it. This lead me to think the kid was chased.. I opened it up and I found 3 empty cans of krylon, and a few markers. I took the tips off the cans and got 1 NY Fat and 2 German Outline caps. I found 2 markers, a bronze Krylon paint pen, and a miniscule version of the sanford king size - called "Deluxe" It writes pretty wide, wider then any king size I have ever had. This is the part that stumps me - it writes in violet/purple. It might be garvey or feibings but I don't understand what you would do to take apart a king size to add your own ink.. anyone know?

Picture of the "Deluxe Marker" here - http://www.whitey-ford.com/imagestore/delux.JPG'>

I took the bag, too :cool:

That is a nice find...I used to find a lot of stuff like that when cops used to raid the yards. I used to scoop up what the other writers left so the cops could not find it on them. I used to come off with sacks of Rusto and Krylon...Pints of flomaster, uniwide and miniwides...you name it. I even found a brand new pair of Kazal glasses solid gold (they were in style back then), just the frames no glass in the glasses.

As far as sanford king size deluxe, you can get them mostly at any k-mart, rite aid, CVS, type drug stores. Just go to where they sell school/art supplies and go to where the markers are. I even got a few white large 100w big Pentel markers at rite aid. Who would think rite aid would sell white pentels. Being I make a good living and have plenty of credit cards and cash...I don't bother trying to steal anything nowadays. When I had nothing to lose and I was a teenager I racked everything...except the stuff that was either locked up or locked behind glass at the counter.

I am 37 years old and I just could not picture myself getting pinched for a marker or a few cans of paint. I have too much to lose. Besides I can afford it. I could spend $100 on graff stuff and not even miss the $100.

But, if you are young and know what you are doing and you don't have any money and if you want graff stuff, you have to rack or vamp other writers.

:rolleyes:

Thanks omen, that helped. The only place I have seen the jumbo 100w's are on urbandesignz. I don't know if you mean the fat ones, or the jumbo fat ones that they have on urbandesignz, because I knew they had the fat 100w's at rite aid.

At first I thought it was a bootleg of the king size but I saw it said sanford on it. The only part that gets me is that it writes in violet...

Yea, I would not go out of my to get a Sanford...they are in the same class as el-markos and marks-a-lot. If the one you found works cool. They are considered "toy boy" markers

I would rather have a Magnum which is made by Sanford by the way. But, you can't refill mags that well. Your best bet is to go with a pilot...I used to take out the felt on the pilots and stuff felt or cotton on the sides to keep the ink from just pouring out. But, when you carry a pilot with no felt inside...make sure it is always upright...because, in a few seconds the ink will flood through the cotton or extra felt you used to stuff the sides of the nib.

But, that marker you found seems to be OK, which is surprising.

Thanks omen, that helped. The only place I have seen the jumbo 100w's are on urbandesignz. I don't know if you mean the fat ones, or the jumbo fat ones that they have on urbandesignz, because I knew they had the fat 100w's at rite aid.

At first I thought it was a bootleg of the king size but I saw it said sanford on it. The only part that gets me is that it writes in violet...

Thats the ones I am talking about...the 100w. They have the mini size and the large size. But, the nibs are the same size.

Re: ink ink ink

Originally posted by gush

hey does anyone have a easy but nice flowin and well staining ink recipe, done a fuckload of testing n shit and have ruined to many markers....

cheers

From over 20 years of bombing and experimenting with every single type of ink and mixture you can think of. I have determined to not mess with the inks original components...unless you have no money and very shitty ink. Your best bet is to get your hands on high grade ink and just leave it alone. Get ink like Garvey or Marsh Paint or Dye type ink. Put it in your favorite flowpen, marker or mop and get up. The more you get up the better you get. Trying to make permanent ink more permanent is just a waste of time and it is messy. Like I said many times. The chemists at these ink companies make their ink as permanent as possible. (some are just better than others, because some use better ingredients and some use cheaper ingredients to make it cheaper). As the saying goes "you get what you pay for." Sure, it may be fun to mess around with ink. But a real graff writer puts in more time practicing their handstyle and getting up. If you have good ink and a good marker, then you are all set...the only thing left is getting up and making your style phat.

That is just how I see it and other people I bombed with showed me.

But, it that is what you are into and it makes you happy, that is all that matters.

omen two

that is so tolaly true.i have been talking to a ink chemist

and he told me the very same thing.with the only exception

of break flue as it eats in to metal.but in turn waters down

your shit.here in euroland the best i find is nero for black

or powerstain all colors and fibeing/red/purple for colors.

adding shit just fcuks

it up..

the man omen knows his shit end of story

If you want to go that route simply get etch bath...or hydro acid.

The only problem with that, is you have to use metal containers for your mops for the hydro. Otherwise it will melt your plastics and be prepared to go through ALOT of nibs or home made nibs from chalkboard erasers.

Because, it will also tear up your felt. Also, your color will not look that fresh at all. It will look dull and pasty. You simply need a dye type ink. If you go with dye type just get black marsh or violet garvey....there is nothing you can compare them to, There is nothing you can make that will be better. NOTHING!

Trust me, it took me over 20 years looking for the perfect ink and I have done it all and tried everything, every combo.

I have finally come to the conclusion that Garvey Violet or Blue is the best dye type ink. Ask anyone that has used it...ask them how hard it is to even get off your hands....the shit is gravy (not Garvey....GRAVY!) Garvey is Gravy...the best of them all. Marsh Black T-Grade comes in second.

I know Garvey is hard to find...But, once you get your hands on it DO NOT WASTE IT by trying to enhance it. You will just fuck it up. There is nothing that you can make that is better and the imitations don't even come close.

I have nothing to gain by telling you this...I don't work for Garvey. I just want to see the younger writers not waste their time with bullshit.

If you can't get Garvey...try to get marsh, if you can't get marsh...get black pilot ink....only black and you will be OK. Just don't fuck with it.

If you have to use griffin...just use it the way it comes....don't mess with it...you will just fuck it up....if you can't get ink, then bomb with spray paint....that works on anything.:cool:

cheers for the reply

omen two obviously you know your shit down to a T and i dont want ot waste your time but do you know if that marsh or garvey shit is avaliable in australia and also if i'm going to use leather dye do i dilute it into anythin or is it safe to use by itself???

cheers for ya time...