Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

Went to the seen exhibition yesturday - nice little shop in their too. will get myself the t shirt as soon as i stop being so poor. Saw D-Face in there too.

i know this is from a few pages back, but since i doubt the exhibition is anywhere near my home, where can i get a shirt or check out some other stuff online?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i really like the idea behind the veto canvas. the way it was executed i'm not as into. i think having that nice scene with the boats and then "ruining" it, as a lot of you are saying, is a lot better way to represent graffiti on a canvas that a bite of a bite of a twist character or something that belongs in a blackbook with some wild spraypainted mystical background. anyone who really loves graffiti knows that ruining shit is really fun and graf looks the best where it doesn't belong...for example in the middle of a serene painting of boats. i don't really like the letters because they remind me of that new super artfag ugly on purpose style, but that's just my personal taste. not meant as a diss or anything. and even though the letter style is really not my thing i still think it's a successful canvas.

Originally posted by JFKFC@May 25 2005, 08:58 AM

. anyone who really loves graffiti knows that ruining shit is really fun and graf looks the best where it doesn't belong...

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Assuming someone else did the painting of the boats, that is just disrespectful. It's like going over someone's piece with a throwie.

Just because the boats aren't graffiti related doesn't mean shit. I can't believe how annoyed I just got over your whole fucking statement.

It gave me the same feeling I get when new jacks start complaining about how "graffiti is art and why don't the police understand I'm just trying to express myself"

shut the fuck up. shut the fuck up. shut the fuck up.

First of all leader your full of shit even if he didnt paint the boats its his right im not going to tell you not to do anything wit your property. and on another tip graff is art and is accepted by anyone with a brain (wich is why cops dont like it) every one is entitled to their own opinion so stop bein an ass

Originally posted by Empty_throne617@May 26 2005, 06:03 PM

First of all leader your full of shit even if he didnt paint the boats its his right im not going to tell you not to do anything wit your property. and on another tip graff is art and is accepted by anyone with a brain (wich is why cops dont like it) every one is entitled to their own opinion so stop bein an ass

There are actually a lot of very smart officers in the world. Generalizing them shows how ignorant you are. Graffiti isn't accepted by many intelligent people because it requires businesses to purchase paint, new windows, new mirrors in their bathrooms, better cleaning agents (which usually means more expensive) and not to mention (actually, to mention) a lot of the graffiti everywhere is ugly. Very. Fucking. Ugly. Drippy tags do not look "cool" to business owners or soccer moms. The orange metallic color you just made in your basement will not excite Sally Secretary when she is walking to work. Please. Think about shit before you talk.

Yes, I agree that if the piece was purchased by veto it is his property, but that doesn't change the fact that he is disrespecting someone else's work, which is on the same level as going over someone for no reason.

Originally posted by The Leader@May 27 2005, 12:24 AM

Assuming someone else did the painting of the boats, that is just disrespectful.

I kind of get what you mean but just for argument sake, would you say the same about sampling another artist's music to make a hip hop track? or dropping a MADFRESHGRAFTAGBOMBPIECE on a wall that was a tasty piece of architecture? Because this is what it's all about - stealing media and reinventing it in a nasty way.

My argument was based around the possibility that he took someone's original work and painted over it. Which would be totally different from sampling music. When sampling music you still have the original piece somewhere.

And painting on architecture..

If the person built the building with art in mind, I wouldn't touch it. But the rectangular buildings lined up and down every street in north america i would hardly consider art.

Not following the cope2 analogy..

and i'm gonna have to disagree with you on the sampling point too. You said 'when sampling music you still have the original piece somewhere'....just like the painting!

You must have quite a strange screening process on buildings when you go bombing - how do you know if the architect did or didn't have art in mind??

um...

here let me help you.

because im too lazy to find any real pictures of buildings.. here's a shed.

MVC-013S.JPG

most buildings everywhere look exactly like this. except there will be windows in a few places and they are usually taller.

And that's why I used the cope2 reference, the architect may have had art in mind, but all he was doing was making a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy (this could go on forever).

And, as I said before, for this debate since we are not sure I'm going to assume he went over the original canvas, not a copy of the canvas so no, the painting would not be available somewhere.

And the bombing comment - I haven't gone bombing in acouple years. Strictly metal my friend.