Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

I don't think you can really discount that canvas as not being a canvas simply because you don't see any....I dunno, creativity involved, or whatever. Someone could very easily discount your work by just saying "it's just some random splotches of paint. There's no substance." But you can't make a simple blanket statement like that.

**This is me playing devil's advocate. Because I agree with your opinion. I guess I just don't agree with how you stated it. Although I'm not sure I know of a better way...I'll think about it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by seeking@Apr 25 2005, 03:21 PM

when judging advice, you have to view the advisor as well as their words. 'the wise one' paints hack ass cardboard canvases with shitty letters and played out techniques. of course he thinks a piece would look good on it, because it's what he would do. after he did it, he'd post a picture and we'd tell him to go back to the lab, he'd get mad, say we're assholes and the world would keep on turning.

personally, i really dont even think that thing is worthy of really being a 'canvas' it's a background at best. i mean, no offense, but its some labels glued down with a mist of paint over it. theres really nothing to that. no composition, no thought, just glue sticks and thumbs. theres nothing wrong with that i guess, but theres also nothing 'right'.

seeks/sorry, im being a dick today, sue me.

hahah you make me giggle.... i take good advice greatly, and i attempt to make art on regular canvas's to, i was just trying out cardboard.... look at the last pick i posted up....

but you do have some good points....... but isnt all canvas's just something either mounted or sprayed on.......either way all it is is just paint ontop of material....

This place has been so motivating. The conversation is going great, If you are paying attention you should be learning lots !!!!!!

To make sure I dont post another comment here without posting any flicks here is a test canvas board for one of my recent projects. little 8x10 sucker.

digi016.jpg

cipher,

i can do anything i want. ha. no, i know that 'art' is subjective...but only to a point IMO. if someone can realy 'connect' on some level with dudes piece, then more power to them, im just not seeing it, thats all.

i'm very sick today, i have the flu.

SO this isnt canvas, its on paper. I like paper better than canvas; i think papers more

absorbent and i like that. i like paper that will eat what you put on it.

I also am very interested in the process of creating pictures. Much of the time i enjoy

unfinished works more than finished; the unfinished gives me insight into the artist process

and i feel like i get a better idea about who or what the artist is.

So in the vein I started documenting the stages of drawing and paintings i do ( graff too when

i can get away with it, [read legal eagle shit]).

This particular set of drawings was done after i had the displeasure of hear DJ spooky give a

talk (last fall). What i took from that talk was that there was still a lot of  power in  the remix

(a really broad definition, Duchamp to HIP-hop) and that DJ spooky is an IDIOT;

which i wont get into here. Suffice it to say I tried to combine the elements of a drawing and

continue to reuse and change them with in the same drawing.

The final version of this was an interactive Macromedia Director file, that in the end had sound

and allowed the viewer/user to remix the final state of the drawing with all of the other states

of the drawing so they could make there own composition form mine. In the end there were

144(changeable bits)*38 (stages of the drawing).

So what you see here is more of just a build test animating the drawings process and changes

over time.

_________________________________________________________________________________

<embed src="http://www.heavylox.com/webshow/TEST.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#636656" width="657" height="545" name="TEST" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

_________________________________________________________________________________

I added, play pause, and stop buttons to aid in viewing.

If you can't see it in the forum you can see it.here.

his right here is pritty amazing! I saw it yesterday for the first time.

I Saw a sprite remix commercial last night, same concept not as hot though. There was a riter painting it though anything to do with you, or just coincidence?

Olease disregard Question if its out of line

Originally posted by seeking@Apr 27 2005, 10:48 AM

propaganda, yurr funny.

oneeightyone,

keep an eye on your perportions.

also, stick some shadows on the bear.

shadows/dimmension are what seperates men and boys.

yea, thanks for the advice, my proportions are so skewered, even when i have a model in front of me ive yet to fully capture it. yea i know about shadows, good tip ill add some, most of my work has it but i always miss it at times.

Right now im venturing into the world of trying to imitate the techniques of the masters, it's difficult and so time consuming, as opposed to these thrown together art peices, to us a work that takes 3 weeks might seem long, but in reality that's short compared to how the masters used to take, 18 months at times, 3 years even on some, paitence is key and that's what's alluding (sp?) most every artist in this dy and age.

Guest Propaganda

propaganda, yurr funny.

May I ask why?

Because you posted flicks of finger paintings....

I didn't use my fingers, just playing around with brushes and aryclic so don't hate and judge so qucikly just cause it is not advance graff art. Still learning process for me and I never claimed anything.

aerosol on rodent...

says Old Man Gloom

'open close, previous open close - you don't need to repeat this...there is not any ceremony anymore - everyone is gone, and you say this out loud to your self. "You are alone at the time, and the time now is ALWAYS. Always was a word you used in Promises. It Is VALUOUS (??)." All officers, Warrant Officers, and all enlisted men, will be provided with a copy of their own true loves that they will never see again, and all these copies will be returnable to the proper channels.'

DSC00834.jpg