Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"i dont think if you have seen SEENs photos makes you beeing a better writers learnig the history of graff doesnt make you a better writer.thats a poor excuse "

-This mentality is the reason why there are so many dodoo writers these days...

don't waste your time, go find another hobby, just like near 99% of the people who post in here.....art with an urban twist, but has no soul,

or substance.....show your girlfriend that new oversprayed stencil and you want to be down...

"I'm down by law, these niggahs still don't understand"...

i love the seen stuff, good to see he's still droppin some tight steez. no sculptures ? wasn't that his next step.

nice vinyl stuff

paint2.jpg

i've only just started doing canvases i work on more of an urban setting, rather than an urban style.

Originally posted by SENAS@Apr 23 2005, 06:15 AM

nice canvas shine!

IMG_1356.jpg

yo senaz nice to see this up again, if you dont know who this is its vanillasqueeze from BS.........quick question, when i do black backrounds usually i end up freestyling a piece onto it because its harder then hell to see any other material..... what do you use?

ok just how i asked above, here is a more explanitory description.

i need some back up on my work

ok for all you canvas freaks out there.... i love dark backrounds, and im painting a pure black backround right now.... but thats just it, its just a backround and how do i put a forground on it when i cant see the lines im sketchin???....that means i pretty much just freestyle it.... which is what i always end up doing....

so my question is is there any type of material i can use to sketch on a dark backround but still be able to erase my mistakes?...

hit me up if you know..

solution is to draw what you want on paper, then cover the back od the paper with a bright colored hard pastel ( best to cover just where the lines are one the bac as be make sense if you dont) then place paer on canvas and trace the lines on lightly, peak around on to the canvas every so often to make sure your applying enough presure.

or you can draw a hard pastel with a lil dry brush and or maybe a damp rag you can erase.

Originally posted by KING OF HELL+Apr 20 2005, 11:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING OF HELL - Apr 20 2005, 11:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tough Love@Apr 20 2005, 07:54 PM

y'all seem to be really caught up in talking about nothing

let a nigga do what he wants to do and if theres some advise u wanan drop then do it

if ppl are pulling drips and doing lame ass canvases then who cares, let it be, ur words sure wont stop em

if ppl feel ike doing lame letters let em do so

iono its all questionable and up for analysis in the grand scheme of things, ur so caught up in speech u seem to be missing the work ppl are doing hurr

actually people have been asking for advise and responding well to more intelligent conversation. what they do NOT need is terrible ebonics and chat room abreviations.

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[/b]

you're right dude, I'm really stupid for making that post....my mistake

Originally posted by heavyLox@Apr 12 2005, 01:22 PM

SO this isnt canvas, its on paper. I like paper better than canvas; i think papers more

absorbent and i like that. i like paper that will eat what you put on it.

I also am very interested in the process of creating pictures. Much of the time i enjoy

unfinished works more than finished; the unfinished gives me insight into the artist process

and i feel like i get a better idea about who or what the artist is.

So in the vein I started documenting the stages of drawing and paintings i do ( graff too when

i can get away with it, [read legal eagle shit]).

This particular set of drawings was done after i had the displeasure of hear DJ spooky give a

talk (last fall). What i took from that talk was that there was still a lot of power in the remix

(a really broad definition, Duchamp to HIP-hop) and that DJ spooky is an IDIOT;

which i wont get into here. Suffice it to say I tried to combine the elements of a drawing and

continue to reuse and change them with in the same drawing.

The final version of this was an interactive Macromedia Director file, that in the end had sound

and allowed the viewer/user to remix the final state of the drawing with all of the other states

of the drawing so they could make there own composition form mine. In the end there were

144(changeable bits)*38 (stages of the drawing).

So what you see here is more of just a build test animating the drawings process and changes

over time.

_________________________________________________________________________________

<embed src="http://www.heavylox.com/webshow/TEST.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#636656" width="657" height="545" name="TEST" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

_________________________________________________________________________________

I added, play pause, and stop buttons to aid in viewing.

If you can't see it in the forum you can see it.here.

Holy shit, i want to jump kick myself.

Damn... i didn't think your sketches were all that complicating. like 9 different outlines and shit. wow. pencil, pen, marker, watercolor, and acrylics? i dont think i have the patience to do that all in one day.

pffffft!!@!

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Apr 23 2005, 09:31 PM

^Wow, what a nut hugger.

Anyway, I have something for this thread. It's only in the sketching stage though. Not too sure where I am going with the sketch either...

why is anytime someone makes a compliment to anyone on this website, they are a nut hugger or on the jock?... that compliment was relitive to the technique used by lox to do what he did.

next:

Wise one. about drawing on dark backgroiund....if you are using paint apliquable by brush( this to say NOT spray paint) to do your dark back ground it should be fine.... i use a white colored pencil to draw my shit and then most of it erases ok as long as im not grinding it into the back ground and what doesnt get erased can be covered over with more dark paint... just get a few smaller detailing brushes to get the nooks......and i highly advise that after you are done you gloss it with either a spray coat or a polyeurathane and all the layers of dark will be seemless.

Originally posted by KING OF HELL+Apr 24 2005, 01:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING OF HELL - Apr 24 2005, 01:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Yellow Feets@Apr 23 2005, 09:31 PM

^Wow, what a nut hugger.

Anyway, I have something for this thread. It's only in the sketching stage though. Not too sure where I am going with the sketch either...

why is anytime someone makes a compliment to anyone on this website, they are a nut hugger or on the jock?... that compliment was relitive to the technique used by lox to do what he did.

[/b]

I was calling myself a "nuthugger". I had one post complimenting and a follow-up post calling myself a "nuthugger" because of it. It was a joke. And jokes are flippin' sweet..

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by Yellow Feets+Apr 24 2005, 05:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yellow Feets - Apr 24 2005, 05:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by KING OF HELL@Apr 24 2005, 01:22 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Yellow Feets@Apr 23 2005, 09:31 PM

^Wow, what a nut hugger.

I was calling myself a "nuthugger". I had one post complimenting and a follow-up post calling myself a "nuthugger" because of it. It was a joke. And jokes are flippin' sweet..

[/b]

word.

i heard this one about a ninja, a jedi and snake eyes from g.i.joe...they all walk into a bar and.....

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by casekonly@Apr 24 2005, 04:18 AM

i wanna see more of those king of hell monster canvases.

p.s.-dammit

i think i only have a few of them scanned. i will dig around. bad quality photos none the less.

Just got my site up finally. Still learning the programs. A ton of recent canvas work and some design ish too. Check it out...I value your opinions and welcome feedback. Im feeling the majority of work posted in this forum, keep it up.

Originally posted by KING OF HELL+Apr 24 2005, 02:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING OF HELL - Apr 24 2005, 02:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Yellow Feets@Apr 23 2005, 09:31 PM

^Wow, what a nut hugger.

next:

Wise one. about drawing on dark backgroiund....if you are using paint apliquable by brush( this to say NOT spray paint) to do your dark back ground it should be fine.... i use a white colored pencil to draw my shit and then most of it erases ok as long as im not grinding it into the back ground and what doesnt get erased can be covered over with more dark paint... just get a few smaller detailing brushes to get the nooks......and i highly advise that after you are done you gloss it with either a spray coat or a polyeurathane and all the layers of dark will be seemless.

[/b]

yeah i am just thinkin about that, i have some white erasable pencils... prisma's, or watercolor pencils..... so i will give that a try..... and also i usually paint a primer backround color with spray paint, then do some work with acrylic on top of that..... i can just try it on that..... and i just bought a can of kamar varnish (krylon) should that cover and protect my canvas pretty well?

thnx for your help.....and i like that pastel idea...

post up some work!

Originally posted by yAhoO@Apr 23 2005, 07:17 PM

canvas7kw.jpg

somthin im workin with i dont feel its done but maybe it is

hey im really feelin that, a dope piece at the bottom would be tight ( just do a simple outline, no fill) i think that would work out great

question what did you use to glue the labels on the canvas..... elmers spray glue ?.....

what do you all use to glue stuff, i usually use rubber cement, but i have some elmers spray glue (comes with a NY fat i think?) and that stuff sprays out like spidermans web, it is very stick and hard to get off, i have only had bad experiences with it........... what else is out there? :huh2:

Originally posted by The-WiseOne+Apr 24 2005, 03:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The-WiseOne - Apr 24 2005, 03:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-yAhoO@Apr 23 2005, 07:17 PM

somthin im workin with i dont feel its done but maybe it is

hey im really feelin that, a dope piece at the bottom would be tight ( just do a simple outline, no fill) i think that would work out great

question what did you use to glue the labels on the canvas..... elmers spray glue ?.....

what do you all use to glue stuff, i usually use rubber cement, but i have some elmers spray glue (comes with a NY fat i think?) and that stuff sprays out like spidermans web, it is very stick and hard to get off, i have only had bad experiences with it........... what else is out there? :huh2:

[/b]

on the contrary, i think he should leave it as is. maybe a signature in the bottom corner, but a "graffiti piece" would cheapen it and distract the viewer from the primary purpose in my opinion.

as for the spray glue, photo mount will work too, and isn't as thick as elmers spray.

when judging advice, you have to view the advisor as well as their words. 'the wise one' paints hack ass cardboard canvases with shitty letters and played out techniques. of course he thinks a piece would look good on it, because it's what he would do. after he did it, he'd post a picture and we'd tell him to go back to the lab, he'd get mad, say we're assholes and the world would keep on turning.

personally, i really dont even think that thing is worthy of really being a 'canvas' it's a background at best. i mean, no offense, but its some labels glued down with a mist of paint over it. theres really nothing to that. no composition, no thought, just glue sticks and thumbs. theres nothing wrong with that i guess, but theres also nothing 'right'.

seeks/sorry, im being a dick today, sue me.