MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

dam bel killed wit wit the weathering wish mine looked that good i havnt even attempted a unit yet just started tryin 2 weather cars not that long ago i only use spray cans my dood gave me his air brush but it just dont work out 4 me danthrax id like 2 peep that tutorial so far i spent about 100 all on track n 2 buildings everything else is from when i was smaller, n thanks 4 the glue mix that was ganna be my next question but i got another 4 any1 who got an answer, im starting 2 wire my layout n i dont have 2 much wire, 1 of my boys is telling me ill need atleast 100feet which i dont think i will but ill deff need alot more then i have, any ideas?

EAD - just a suggestion but if your going to start weathering you should probably try to get some cheap cars to practice on first. weathering takes a lot of trial and error. I would hate to see u ruin your good cars. you can usually find them at a yard sale or thrift store or something...or even ebay people sell groups of older cheap cars for super cheap.

wiring depends greatly on the size and complexity of your layout. if your going to get serious about it i suggest you do a lot of reading/research before spending any money.

until danthrax tutorial becomes available i would again suggest you check out a couple of forums and youtube for tutorials on everything from weathering, to wiring. here go a couple of recomendations:

if you plan on running multiple trains at the same time read this one: http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm

an excellent source for general knowledge:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php

weathering

http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com

Fresh - its actually not that bad for a first attempt. the pieces look good. only the reporting marks are messed up. i promise it will look better than my first attempt. I truly hate working with decals..i have the decal paper but have not yet tried this..im kind of scared and am also too cheap to spend 30 bucks on a color cartridge for my printer. im sure some light weathering will really bring this out.

^ I agree with everything Zed said^ I am also to cheap to by ink for my printer. I have not really come to terms with using decals for the peices yet. But to really make it photo realistic. They might be the way to go, for most people. A very light weathering a few tiny reflector strips and your golden. As for the marking numbers. If you havent coated the car with a clearcoat or something yet. You might still be able to wet them again and give them a little tilt. To correct the alignment.

yup, what Rusto and Zed already said, the piece decal looks great but the reporting marks decal needs fixing or replacement. If you decide to replace it then lighten the background a little while printing a new one. It looks a little too dark

what scale is this?

as far as weathering, sometimes subtle weathering is tougher to do than heavy weathering. There appears to be eight rust spots horizontally showing through previously primed squares on your prototype pictured car

Freshy.

Dont worry about the weathering. A easy way to do a light weathering is to just brush on a little bit of coffee while the cars on its side. Tip it a little to get that natural dripping rusty look and let it sit to dry. After its dry. You can take a little water to the spots you want to clear up ( with a qtip of small brush). I know it sounds od. But trust me. It works wicked pissa.

I heard of this before, maybe from you on here. Been meaning to try this coffee tech soon

It is HO scale. I am kinda worried about the weathering. I built hundreds of model cars when I was a kid, never added rust though. Heres whats next..

whoa, this is going to be like installing wall paper :p

and post some of those model cars in the models ... not super thread I'd like to see them scales too

hey freshly snapper, do you use decal solvent and decal set? shit works awesome might help with the reporting marks fallin off or peeling.. cant wait to see the ich finished

I have some solvaset but for some reason I remember it messing up decals that I made before. It does work amazing on other decals though I had to use a ton of it building scale motogp bikes.

freshly - that ichabod looks fucking ill! cant wait to see the final. although i have never worked with decals i would suggest trying to cut the letters out only on the ich and maybe hand draw the fumes. use some cheap walmart felt tipped markers and smudge them with your fingers...sounds kind of crazy but the hard cut on the fumes may look kind of off. heres a brief tutorial that may give you a better idea of what im trying to explain..http://www.westportterminal.de/weathering.html#pens

@ fills - yeah, ii thought i would never even consider using decals for graffiti seeing as how i have 25 years of real life experience...but looking at a lot of well done graffiti and weathering, i think im convinced..just scared to really take on the challenge..