Tracksides!!

Guest sneak

Guest swindle

I agree, I always liked Acrids old school things - that throwup is WEAK though, always has been...

Anyone remember that old (non-graf) mag with Drax/Elk interviews in it? It had a mini glossary of graffiti terminology in it, I guess they just asked them for some words and their meanings. Anyway, 'Acrid' was defined as 'a bad writer with no style/experience', made me chuckle...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zeeizm

Acrid....

I've got some really bad tubes by him from the early 90's

But he did kind of king it... he had nuff runners

The dudes done every tube yard, he king`d it!

(excluding newly built one`s i.e stratford)

I asked him while out in Dublin about what he`s doing now, his answer as " I want to experiment, I dont like doing the same thing over and over"

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Mista_Merc

Pardon?

Are you actually ignoring the stuff Europe is posting? On that spread leg prod you could take any of those pieces and as a solo with simple 2 col fill, thick black outline and border it would still rock as bold as fuck. I guarantee you they would stick in my mind on a journey far more than any generic silver.

The other thing is with some people who do loads of silvers, you can find out who good they really are by giving them colours to use...some people you thought were alright end up having no colour sense at all or try too hard and churn out a mess.

im not ignoring what europe posted...a lot of that stuff is fresh as hell and would kick the majority of english tracks back to where they came from.

its just that for some unknown reason, i love chromes and blacks. not saying that colour pieces arent better (hell they are). its just a personal thingy mista merc...

*edit* if this explains what im trying to say better then its good..

chromes and blacks always enforce the illegality of the situation for me. for example, if i see a huge chrome and black in an obviously illegal spot i would probably think higher of the artist than of someone whp pieced a colour piece of relative size on a legal. i dont know if that makes sense...but i hope you get me.

Originally posted by sneak

i see a huge chrome and black in an obviously illegal spot i would probably think higher of the artist than of someone whp pieced a colour piece of relative size on a legal. i dont know if that makes sense...but i hope you get me.

The term "legal" has nothing to do with this thread. The Danish stuff above is 100% illegal. So what would your opinion be then if someone whipped out a full colour piece in the same spot you talk of and of similar scale? Surely your opinion would be higher than that of the person only doing a chrome?

Guest imported_b0b

^^^^

Yo sneak

What if that spot where the dub is, someone had done a colour piece there instead of a dub. Both had the same outline, but one was a dub one was a colour piece: which would you prefer?

Just trying to get things clear.

Guest sneak

i didnt mean to bring this to an arguement...

however, to answer bobs q...im really not sure. ive spent a good 5minutes thinking about this and i reallly dunno....:(

i spose id have to go with the colour....but only if it was done well. where im from, colour pieces tend to be horrible pieces of shit such as orange and lime green which is horrible and the lines are always fucked.

yeh, and sorry for bringing legal issues into this. i have no idea why i did..

Guest sneak

http://www.graffiti.org/dj/n-igma13/district/large/pure2.jpg'>

^^

this is what i mean or have been trying to explain. i love that style etc...

but however, i realised i posted this

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/Dump/sneak/thcproduction.JPG'>

which is colour and roughly the same size as the pure dub..

and ok ill admit...the 2nd one is heavy and rocks. so i guess i like colour pieces if done well / big enough.

Originally posted by sneak

i didnt mean to bring this to an arguement...

however, to answer bobs q...im really not sure. ive spent a good 5minutes thinking about this and i reallly dunno....:(

i spose id have to go with the colour....but only if it was done well. where im from, colour pieces tend to be horrible pieces of shit such as orange and lime green which is horrible and the lines are always fucked.

yeh, and sorry for bringing legal issues into this. i have no idea why i did..

No argument here Sneak, more of a debate than anything...

I just feel that people should use colour more if the chance arises, the more its used the less likely you are of seeing ugly colour clashing shit. ATG seem to doing the stuff that's catching people's eyes on the tracks, this could bring a different form of competition to the tracks hopefully, it won't just be about more, but about who's rocking the best colours and letters.

Guest swindle

I WAS GONNA SAY THE SAME BUT THIS MAN SUMMED IT UP BETTER IN ONE SENTENCE THAN I WAS GONNA DO IN FIVE!!!

RESPECT TO THOSE WHO CAN KEEP IT SIMPLE AND STILL ROCK WITHOUT MULTICOLOUR FILLS...

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by porque

...the strength of a dub comes from the strength of the letters...there's no color to fall back on...

Porque

I agree totally, but don't you reckon if someone has their style down already doing colour stuff just makes that style look better?

...the strength of a dub comes from the strength of the letters...there's no color to fall back on...

True but unfortunately there's a lot of people doing dubs in London whose letters have NO strength and surely writers shouldn't just be one trick ponies.

I was more talking in a progression sense. Is the writer with nice letters and shit colour sense better than the writer with nice letters and clever use of colour? Too much of one thing is unimaginative and boring as fuck.

Guest imported_Europe

Sorry, not to diss, but very few dubs have strong letters.

taking that arguement to an even simpler level - I'd just like to see colour pieces everywhere because it brightens up the dull grey cities we live in... I reckon people like silvers / pieces for different reasons

silvers - the dirty grimey vibe

pieces - the 'fun' make people spin out sort of thing

... I wanna see pieces everywhere because I like the city looking wierd, fucked up and anarchic but really, in my heart of hearts, I don't want to live in a city thats just dirty chromes that expose toy letters that make the place look fucked up...

Now I know thats not 'hardcore' but I don't give a fuck!

ps - I'm not saying I don't like chromes or tags (blatatnly I do) but for me, what they represent goes a little deeper...

Guest sneak

^you summed up what i was trying to explain. i like the way that chromes bring the "grimey" vibe to graff, but then again, colours bring out the funky side of me!

my dilema about tracksides:

I like using colours, more so than chrome and black. But if I buy colours I've got to either find a spot where the wall won't just absorb the paint or buy emulsion, which I can't afford. With chrome and coversall I can paint any surface. So for me chrome is basically a convinience thing.

Also, I'll add some pics on the weekend.

can of W's...

... mate emulsion aint that expensive if you look hard....

Basically, get bulk tubs of shit white emulsion and mix in with colour 'testers' that you can pick up for about a quid...

don't go to b + Q's, go to builders merchants where its much cheaper...

Also you can usually go to places where they'll mix the colours for you and ask if they've got any 'offcuts' where they've mixed a colour for someone but balls'd it up and have to sell it for real cheap....

I know a couple round the area that I think your from, email me and I'll tell you (I don't want every man and his dog rinsing them!)

arfadailey@graffiti.net

Guest sneak
Originally posted by can of worms

Also, I'll add some pics on the weekend.

safe bro...was hoping you and grandmaster would rock out in this thread!

As I like the size of tracksides I will nearly always go for a chrome.

I cant think of many examples where big colour peices look as good to me as an equivilent size chrome and black

I prefer the Bates with the Hulk than the full colour Bates just because of its simplicity.

But Ive always loved dubing more than peicing (Mostly due to not being very good at peicing! Haha)

Also I must say the Delta below again outs most of the UK tracksides to shame as well.

Archived