The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

a kid i know that lives near the soup kitchen i volunteer at.

870279345_031265964b.jpg?v=0

dylan, for all those photos, the one thing i would say is to watch your highlights and shadows. try to get a more balanced image. the black and white isn't too bad but even in that one there is a lot of blown out area.

what kind of camera/lens are you using?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
a kid i know that lives near the soup kitchen i volunteer at.

870279345_031265964b.jpg?v=0

dylan, for all those photos, the one thing i would say is to watch your highlights and shadows. try to get a more balanced image. the black and white isn't too bad but even in that one there is a lot of blown out area.

what kind of camera/lens are you using?

im actually looking for an inexpensive camera right now, but that was with my dads camera.

and its some olympus 6 megapixel. It was my first run with his camera, and i didn't catch what it was. Any ideas for inexpensive camera buys?

although i haven't got to play around with one yet, nikon came out with the d40, which is it's most basic digital slr, but it's only about 499, i'd say.

but if you're lookin to shoot film, you could snag an all manual slr for like 100 probably on ebay.

best way to increase your keepers with film is to buy a light meter and learn to use it properly. now that things are going digital and its so easy to check our highlights/histograms many people are forgetting the value of a light meter. imo the most important tool a serious photographer owns, after the tripod.

^most modern film (and even the center weighted in my nikon FE2) light meters are good enough where you will not need to buy an off camera meter. i believe that the canon ae's had a pretty nice center weighted meter as well. I'm not saying that off camera meters are a bad buy, just that it might not be the perfect route to go for everyone.

Now i strictly use spot meter on my digital and it works perfectly. I definitely agree though that many people are idiots when it comes to using meters...and waiting for the shot. ive gone out with people that have taken over 200 shots when im still on my 10th. at that point it becomes more about luck than actually knowing how to compose a photo.

^most modern film (and even the center weighted in my nikon FE2) light meters are good enough where you will not need to buy an off camera meter. i believe that the canon ae's had a pretty nice center weighted meter as well. I'm not saying that off camera meters are a bad buy, just that it might not be the perfect route to go for everyone.

Now i strictly use spot meter on my digital and it works perfectly. I definitely agree though that many people are idiots when it comes to using meters...and waiting for the shot. ive gone out with people that have taken over 200 shots when im still on my 10th. at that point it becomes more about luck than actually knowing how to compose a photo.

yea in camera meters have come a long way but i still prefer to use a 1degree spot meter with a incedent meter too. Im just sayin if u go on ebay and buy an old film SLR your gonna really increase ur keepers with a meter. As you move up in format size it becomes more important to imo.

lightmeters become neccesity when using any lighting(especially strobes) as well as something like a metz flash. it really helps in controlling blown out highlight areas.

is it shoot for highlights and print for shadows or vice versa? i can never remember.

damn i wish i would have taken advantage of all the resources i had while i was in school. post-school workflow can be difficult if attempting to start from scratch with little money.

dylan resistance: an old instructor of mine has a series based on composites of skies and clouds.

http://www.kenfandell.com/

thought you might be interested in taking a look.

i cant rember who posted it, but when i walked past the pile of tires it poped into my head and i couldnt help but fail at trying to recreate it

it was me who posted that. thanks for giving me cred although im sure there is a million pilles of tires and another million shots of them, i just posted it in your faces first. look good though dose

when they were getting new equipment at my high school when i was a senior i guess my roommate snagged an enlarger and a lot of other shit, and it was just sittin at her dad's for a couple years. so, we decided to bust it out and get back to shootin film, so i'm really stoked. once it's all set up, i'll take some flicks and post em.