Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Style Wars, Seen says that Rustoleum doesn't come out in a mist, that it's real paint.

What is exactly the difference between major brands?

And how many changes Krylon made in their formula?

'Cause i paint with some of my stock(early 90's-mid 90's) since two weeks, and some colors come out real nice(violet, a darker violet, mauve) with the stock cap(fat cap makes too many drips) but the other ones are so fuckin' drippin'(Ford Blue!)

And the Ultra-flat black is the worst can i have ever used for the smell, it's so toxic, i couldn't believe it, it sting my nose really really bad i had to get my arm straight to paint to get far from the smell.

Krylon has gradually gotten worse since 1991. First they got rid of the best graffiti colors like pastel aqua and hot pink. Then they replaced good colors with similar but less opaque colors ie pastel yellow to chamois, daisy yellow to sun yellow. Then they just watered down everything so that the same colors that were good in 1996 were unusably thin and drippy by around 2003 or so. Every time they changed the label, it got worse. Some good colors they added in the 90's, like terracota and pacific blue only lasted a few years. Last year they changed over to fan spray caps, and so krylon has become essentially useless for graffiti.

Most younger writers who started writing in this decade never even used krylon and we have all the graffiti made paint from Europe now so by the time krylon kicked the bucket, no one really cared anymore.

Rustoleum has more solids in the paint so it is very opaque and very good on porous surfaces like brick and old concrete. The disadvantages to rusto are that most caps don't work well on it, it gives rougher lines, it can't be made to spray extremely fat or extremely thin. it takes a long time to dry too. Until recently, it had fewer/worse colors than krylon, but now they seem to be making colors for graffiti writers. Rustoleum and its various lines like America accents and painters touch are what 90% of the graffiti in America is painted with now.

I've just spotted a very vintage can of Rust-Oleum Pink in a hardware store in my neighborhood...

same make as this navy grey (stolen from flickr) but near perfect condition, still with the original store price tag.

What's it worth? Anyone interested?

I'll pursue further..

Pick up what you can, and I would love to see a pic of one sitting on a store shelf. You don't see big faces on shelves too often.

This has been one of my favorite threads for years but I never posted here because I have no good old cans anymore.

I know old cans is the topic but does anyone else collect old markers? I'm starting a collection. I posted this in the Marker thread but no one seemed to care. Thought I'd share here among other collectors.

Pre zip code (which started in 1963) Flo Master: Paid $0.99

DSCN2683.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2693.jpg

Flo-Master Advanced of unknown date. Seller stated outright they will not help with Esterbrook history. I was perplexed.

DSCN2688.jpg

Just won this today. (also no pre-zip code)

Bcb5VJw2kKGrHqQH-DEqu5fmE5eBK0g5LlY.jpg

I used only Rusto and AA as well but I see what he's saying. I think I would of lost respect for Rusto if it made a 'graffiti' brand paint. In fact all these graffiti brand paints piss me off. To me the fact that one can have and tint, shade or hue they want undermines the whole color tip creativity. Colors that didn;t exist off the shelf you had to make yourself.

what are you talking about? all i use are rustos...

I think you missed his point.

the american paint companies never marketed their product to writers the way european paint companies do. without a doubt rusto and krylon left alot of money on the table.

but then again i dont think graffiti carries the stigma or negative stereo type in europe that is has here. americans (for the most part) associate graffiti with crime and poverty.

in europe i'm assuming they are a little more accepting of the art form.

same shit happened with jazz music in the past.

long live miles davis and iz the wiz

This has been one of my favorite threads for years but I never posted here because I have no good old cans anymore.

I know old cans is the topic but does anyone else collect old markers? I'm starting a collection. I posted this in the Marker thread but no one seemed to care. Thought I'd share here among other collectors.

Pre zip code (which started in 1963) Flo Master: Paid $0.99

DSCN2683.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2693.jpg

Flo-Master Advanced of unknown date. Seller stated outright they will not help with Esterbrook history. I was perplexed.

DSCN2688.jpg

Just won this today. (also no pre-zip code)

Bcb5VJw2kKGrHqQH-DEqu5fmE5eBK0g5LlY.jpg

I'm not really sure the history on Flo Master stuff but I know that some of it dates back to the 50's and even earlier. I have flomaster ink in glass bottles not tin cans!!!!

One thing is for sure Purple Flo Master and Silver ae SUPER rare... In all my years of collecting I have only seen a few tins of Purple but have never been lucky enough to get one. I love Garvey and have a lot of old bottles and Garvey pens whch is why I want a purple Flo.

The Silver Flo, I have NEVER seen and don;t know anyone that has some so if anyone here does speak up... LOL And if anyone has purple Flo they wanna sell hit me up I'll drop good coin on that!!!!

:D

I think you missed his point.

the american paint companies never marketed their product to writers the way european paint companies do. without a doubt rusto and krylon left alot of money on the table.

but then again i dont think graffiti carries the stigma or negative stereo type in europe that is has here. americans (for the most part) associate graffiti with crime and poverty.

in europe i'm assuming they are a little more accepting of the art form.

same shit happened with jazz music in the past.

Thats what i meant . And i still use RUSTO.

Archived