Your Favorite Train Car

nocalfr8tr

i like em all...why?

hopper - pretty flat...good for end to end's or wholecars. if you got a crate or two the hump is no problem

tanker - they're fun, different. look good when they're rocked

boxcar (flat n ridge) - i dont need to mention why

gondola - they're short...huge ass ridges suck...nothing a pro cant handle

my favorite...old school sp flatty woodchip carriers!

a steel wall...ummmmm

many other types, but i like the usual trains...and i never get to paint autoracks so i'm not bringin them into this....i just did, but damn id love to paint one.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest SIKFUK

that would have to be, the jrsx simplot,reefer[flat white], or the ic central's grey car with the smooth doors, graff just looks so good on those cars.

I'm gonna move this to the Trainspotting forum, since it seems better suited there.

I personally like coiled steel cars for variety. We hardly ever get them, but they're an interesting surface, hanging onto that bar across the side with that little catwalk.

Boxcars of any kind are a healthy part of any trainiac's diet, but I support the four food groups....boxes, hoppers, holies, and gondolas.

Reefers all day. Green BNFE, red/white BNSF, UPFE, Solid Colds regardless of reporting mark, Simplots, Golden West reefers, SPFEs.

Close followups include flat or baby ridge boxcars, especially not from my area (SLSF, SFLC, BAEX, VCY, GVSR, BN, BNSF, IC, UP, SP, WP, MP, etc.), autoracks, and good old Railboxes for the play.

I'd like to try a steel coil car.

Hoppers - ehh. Unless they're a type that might get good play, or I just feel like burning any car, I'll stick to hollows with 3D and all the usual effects, just no fill, to save paint for better cars.

Tankers are real low priority due to buffing and sometimes lousy play, but I'll bomb em up or rarely go for a mini piece, stamp or character.

Ridged boxcars are my meat and potatoes. I'll do any door, bar or gnarly surface, but I've done so many that I would opt for the flat box (of 2 boxes with equal play) over the ridged.

Gondolas are fun once in a while, especially foreign ones. An e2e is practically a wholecar so you can go wide solo or stick a bunch of people across it.

Guest railroadjerk

baex...good call cracked

waffles...we need more here. ic, csxt

baby ridges, another good call cracked....beer car atsf, bnsf...

vcy reefers, other flats...oofah

the reefers always seem to be my fav's especially the western fruit express. cars...also a big fan of the old frisco cars sflc? or something like that...cant remeber....the older atsf's have some extreemly nice panels as well ,its always nice to have a nice day photo with the fucking santa fe logo right behind yourletters...with me its also nice to get cars that are predominately found on the opposite coast....and always gotta love the old low budget companies and there are just to many to name...

Guest professor poopatronic

well there's shitloads that i'd kill to hit, mostly reefers, but here are a few of my favorites that i actually get sometimes

friscos of any kind

those huge shiny red CP boxes

UPFEs

golden wests (especially flats)

rboxes

and if i have to do a hopper, i like those blue golden west ones.

a couple of these i've only done one or two of.

any car with a nice logo... If I could pick any car, it would have to be a green bn, with the huge logo of course.

the more rusted, busted, strange, foreign and weird the better... I like really strange cars with strange marks that Im not likely to ever see again.

GT's are so rare out my way that I forgot to mention them as a favorite.

As for play, the extendos carry auto parts and will shuttle back and forth from manufacturing to assembly plants (which could still be a long way), but they rarely leave set routes. Regular size GT boxes probably get more varied play and have to be up there on anyone's list, unless they're absolutely sick of them due to high frequency.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

GT's are so rare out my way that I forgot to mention them as a favorite.

As for play, the extendos carry auto parts and will shuttle back and forth from manufacturing to assembly plants (which could still be a long way), but they rarely leave set routes. Regular size GT boxes probably get more varied play and have to be up there on anyone's list, unless they're absolutely sick of them due to high frequency.

The GT's sometimes come back with some Miami, L.A., or even some Canadian stuff rocked on them. I get what you said about them sorta being played out in a way. For the time I was living near the lay-ups. I wouldn't touch them because I felt as if they were just "local."

i cant fathom the fact that everyone on this board is sleeping on coal cars!!! they move more than you think!!!

other than that...

the only cars i get down here that live this black hole of a town are:

boxes: sou/ns/csxt/railboxs/atw/sm/kcs(i like the orange ones)/ and a rare gnwr(which i must play with myself as i paint it)

hoppers:ns/sou/san/and some of the acfx's roll a little ways...

tankers:i'll hit them all... but i hate it when the nasty shit in it spills all over the side and covers my shit up!

and you want to talk about intermodels..shit please take some of the ones down here with you!!

but all and all i think all the cars i have hit are hiden in the yard around here somewhere in like a bunker or something...:D :D

Guest mike tyson
Originally posted by nocalfr8tr

just got the opportunity to dance with an eucx hopper. anyone seen one of those? they're very similar to the grey cn hoppers with the reflectors we used to see. no more of those come much.

hoppers are gay.

Re: Who See's "Grand Trunks?"

Originally posted by Box-Boy

Who the hell catches GT's in their yards? Those have been my favorite trains to rock. I just don't know their circulation routes.

hell yeah..i also kinda forgot about gt's those were some real tight shit coming up on....those are some nice panels....i know that they travel between colorado and oregon on the very regular iv seen the same cars both places...we you use to get alot of old la shit on em too....

Re: Who See's "Grand Trunks?"

Originally posted by Box-Boy

Who the hell catches GT's in their yards? Those have been my favorite trains to rock. I just don't know their circulation routes.

mmm....we get those..

i dont mess with them but so much.

busy ass routing.

my favorite car changes with the wind..

when i first started out i remember wishing i had a spot that had

those white flatcars (Hoppers) hahah

then for a few years nothing was better than a UPFE

soon after that i fell in love with gvsr flats

then southerns, csxt flats etc etc...

lately ive been on a reefer kick again so who knows

i guess i didnt make much sense

Guest TrustEvil

hoppers can get boring very fast, but the smooth surface is always sweet....i give priority to the colored hoopers (ATSF,BN,ChessieSystems,GT)....shit looks hella hot.

Anything Chessie Systems of course....can't get enough.

Boxcars....anyone will do, obviously if i have a choice its gonna be something odd like a Route Rock or McCain reefer or one of those god damn clover green extended height ridgie slgg style cars i see from time to time...clover fucking green !

Gondolas....nice for a change...i missed my chance to hit the RBOX ones a while back, won't do that again.

Procor tankers...they look great when someone paints them, but are hardly worth the hassle.

Engines, cabooses and track equipment...ya right, i have respect, do you ?

im not from the US, im interested to know what is the difference between a boxcar and a reefer? i presume a reefer is a variation of a boxcar?

Originally posted by NATO

im not from the US, im interested to know what is the difference between a boxcar and a reefer? i presume a reefer is a variation of a boxcar?

"Reefer" is short for "mechanical refrigerator", a type of boxcar which has a generator running at one end, keeping the perishable stuff inside cold. Most of these are A) flat sided (or have easy baby ridges) and B) in a hurry to go places, and travel far and wide, often coast to coast in the US in a couple days.

Archived