Was the election hacked?

!@#$%

Evidence Mounts That The Vote May Have Been Hacked

by Thom Hartmann / Common Dreams

When I spoke with Jeff Fisher this morning (Saturday, November 06, 2004), the Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 16th District said he was waiting for the FBI to show up. Fisher has evidence, he says, not only that the Florida election was hacked, but of who hacked it and how. And not just this year, he said, but that these same people had previously hacked the Democratic primary race in 2002 so that Jeb Bush would not have to run against Janet Reno, who presented a real threat to Jeb, but instead against Bill McBride, who Jeb beat.

"It was practice for a national effort," Fisher told me.

And evidence is accumulating that the national effort happened on November 2, 2004.

The State of Florida, for example, publishes a county-by-county record of votes cast and people registered to vote by party affiliation. Net denizen Kathy Dopp compiled the official state information into a table, available at http://ustogether.org/Florida_Election.htm, and noticed something startling.

While the heavily scrutinized touch-screen voting machines seemed to produce results in which the registered Democrat/Republican ratios matched the Kerry/Bush vote, and so did the optically-scanned paper ballots in the larger counties, in Florida's smaller counties the results from the optically scanned paper ballots - fed into a central tabulator PC and thus vulnerable to hacking - seem to have been reversed.

In Baker County, for example, with 12,887 registered voters, 69.3% of them Democrats and 24.3% of them Republicans, the vote was only 2,180 for Kerry and 7,738 for Bush, the opposite of what is seen everywhere else in the country where registered Democrats largely voted for Kerry.

In Dixie County, with 4,988 registered voters, 77.5% of them Democrats and a mere 15% registered as Republicans, only 1,959 people voted for Kerry, but 4,433 voted for Bush.

The pattern repeats over and over again - but only in the smaller counties where, it was probably assumed, the small voter numbers wouldn't be much noticed. Franklin County, 77.3% registered Democrats, went 58.5% for Bush. Holmes County, 72.7% registered Democrats, went 77.25% for Bush.

Yet in the larger counties, where such anomalies would be more obvious to the news media, high percentages of registered Democrats equaled high percentages of votes for Kerry.

And, although elections officials didn't notice these anomalies, in aggregate they were enough to swing Florida from Kerry to Bush. If you simply go through the analysis of these counties and reverse the "anomalous" numbers in those counties that appear to have been hacked, suddenly the Florida election results resemble the Florida exit poll results: Kerry won, and won big.

Those exit poll results have been a problem for reporters ever since Election Day.

there's more...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=284

yes, i know, it's from michael moore.

so, there's more..

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

"Please excuse our temporary reconstruction

This site went down recently when we posted sensitive information."

the site is still up..

http://www.equalccw.com/voteprar.html

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/110804A.shtml

A Media Blackout: Media Blacks Out Voting Problems

http://www.ilcaonline.org/modules.php?op=m...order=0&thold=0

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happened.

i was in the Philippines back in 2001, right after Bush was elected the first time. i explained the whole situation with florida how the courts ruled in Bush's favor, and possibly voter fraud, which gave him the election.

to my surprise, they were just like, "yeah, that same stuff happens over here every election."

now, the philippines is a very, very corrupt country and it shocked me that the US could possibly be going down that road, because for some reason i held the states to a higher standard. but after the past 4 years, i can see the slippery slope that your country is starting to slide down.

I wouldn't be suprised if there was voter fraud, but at this point I don't care.

We need to look ahead, and get focused on '08. If there was some sneaky business, well, I doubt there's much we can do about the Republicans control the entire gov't and I think any attempt to bring this issue out would be automatically labeled 'tin foil hat conspiracy' so there is no point.

We just have to keep on keepin' on.

Yeah. Guess I can't say I'm surprised.

The fucked up thing is that this makes me happy and pissed off at the same time. It restores my faith in people a little bit. Namely because it just seemed too hard to believe that so many americans could be so stupid.

I really would love to see a scandal the size of watergate break from all this info with the end result being John Kerry in office, but I know better.

This really makes me want to escape to some part of the world where life is simpler. Just me and my hut.

Originally posted by fatalist@Nov 8 2004, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if there was voter fraud, but at this point I don't care.

We need to look ahead, and get focused on '08. If there was some sneaky business, well, I doubt there's much we can do about the Republicans control the entire gov't and I think any attempt to bring this issue out would be automatically labeled 'tin foil hat conspiracy' so there is no point.

NO!!!

fuck that shit!

they lied, they stole, and WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT!!

what in the fucking hell?!?!

oh well, they stole the election, there is nothing we can do about it??

dubya is in prime position to fucking DESTROY the WORLD!

i'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that the rightful winner of the election is in office!

how the fuck will anything change if we just keep rolling over and swallowing their shit?

the truth must come out.

it can't just be swept under the rug because we are afraid that rightwingers won't believe it!

these are the same people who perpetrated this fraud.

of course they won't be happy when it gets uncovered.

a reminder:

the election winner is only the "president-elect" until december or january, when the electoral college votes.

there is still time to set things straight if they've been fucked up.

^ I completely agree.

the first step for all americans was an easy one. go vote.

we did that. we made our voice heard.

the next step is more difficult. it requires more than taking a little time out of our schedules. we need to stand up for our rights. its time to stop rolling over. thats why we're in this position. its been happening for years.

This is the perfect response to contain disenchanted voters that decided to get involved and vote again. They're used to us rolling over. What better way to turn the people back into disenchanted voters than to fraud the vote and make them think their voice doesn't count.

everyone that voted for Kerry needs to start making some noise. we are 56 million voices strong (according to the fraudulent elections).

I agree 110% with symbols. Fuck this shit.

Where is this army of lawyers at?

What's it going to take to crack this open?

Can we get an audit?

Can I get a witness?

This is too serious to let slide.

We are running out of time.

If we don't make a stand now there will be no second chance.

i read some memos online by doing a google search for the company who makes the machines (i forget the name) and 'memo' and there were these papers that somene leaked about how to hack the machines....straight from the company itself. it was all over the net. i wouldn't be surprised if the whole fucking deal was rigged.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by fatalist@Nov 8 2004, 01:12 PM

If someone steals your car and changes the VIN number making it appear as if they own it but in all reality they do not, do you "conceed you lost" and simply wait until you can buy a new one?

Test of Electronic Balloting System Finds Major Security Flaws

John Schwartz | New York Times | January 30, 2004

A report presented to the Maryland state legislature indicated that Diebold voting systems, which have been purchased by many states, are not tamper-proof.

Electronic voting machines from Diebold Inc. have computer security and physical security problems that might allow corrupt insiders or determined outsiders to disrupt or even steal an election, according to a report presented yesterday to Maryland state legislators.

But authors of the report — which described the first official effort to hack Diebold voting systems under election conditions — were careful to say the machines, if not hacked, count votes correctly. And they said the vulnerabilities the exercise found could be addressed in a preliminary way in time for the state's primaries in March.

"I don't want to beat people up," said Michael Wertheimer, a security expert for RABA Technologies in Columbia, Md., who oversaw the exercise. "I want to get an election that people can feel good about."

Further steps could be taken to ensure a safe general election in November, the report concluded. But ultimately, it said, Diebold election software had to be rewritten to meet industry security standards and limited use of paper receipts to verify votes would be needed.

A spokesman for Diebold, which is based in North Canton, Ohio, emphasized the report's positive elements. "There is nothing that has not been, or can't be, mitigated" before the election, David Bear, the spokesman, said.

In a statement, Bob Urosevich, president of the Diebold election-systems unit, said that this report and another by the Science Applications International Corporation "confirm the accuracy and security of Maryland's voting procedures and our voting systems as they exist today."

Maryland has spent more than $55 million for the machines. Georgia has chosen Diebold for elections statewide, and major counties in California and Ohio, among other states, have picked the machines.

The report's authors said they had expected a higher degree of security. "We were genuinely surprised at the basic level of the exploits" that allowed tampering, said Mr. Wertheimer, a former security expert for the National Security Agency.

The report supports the findings of a study released in July, by academic security experts at Johns Hopkins and Rice universities, that found Diebold software lacked the level of security needed to safeguard elections. Diebold stated that the code used by the researchers, which had been taken from a company Internet site and circulated online, was outdated. A subsequent report by Science Applications International found some similar problems.

Aviel D. Rubin, who led the Johns Hopkins effort, said, "If our report was unable to convince Maryland that the Diebold machines were vulnerable, then surely this work will set them straight."

The latest study found that some problems identified in the Hopkins study had not been corrected, and discussed other issues it found equally troubling.

Security experts found that the touch-screen voting machines all used the same key to two locks that protect them from tampering. With handheld computers and a little sleight of hand, they also found, the touch screens could be reprogrammed to make a vote for one candidate count for another, or results could be fouled so that a precinct's vote could not be used.

Communications between the terminals and the larger server computers that tabulate results from many precincts do not require that machines on either end of the line prove they are legitimate, which could let someone grab information that could be used to falsify whole precincts' worth of votes.

The group also found that the server computers did not have the latest protection against the security holes in the Microsoft operating systems, and were vulnerable to hacker attacks that would allow an outsider to change software.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/30/politics/campaign/30SECU.html

a number of links

http://why-war.com/encyclopedia/organizations/Diebold_Inc./

"Elections are not rocket science. Why is it so hard to get things right! I have never been at any other company that has been so miss [sic] managed." [source]

"For a demonstration I suggest you fake it. Progam them both so they look the same, and then just do the upload fro [sic] the AV. That is what we did in the last AT/AV demo." [source]

"I have become increasingly concerned about the apparent lack of concern over the practice of writing contracts to provide products and services which do not exist and then attempting to build these items on an unreasonable timetable with no written plan, little to no time for testing, and minimal resources. It also seems to be an accepted practice to exaggerate our progress and functionality to our customers and ourselves then make excuses at delivery time when these products and services do not meet expectations." [source]

Tamper-Prone Machine

Diebold voting machines are used in 37 states and

lack even basic protection against election fraud.

"I feel that over the next year, if the current management team stays in place, the Global working environment will continue to be a chaotic mess. Global management has and will be doing the best to keep their jobs at the expense of employees. Unrealistic goals will be placed on current employees, they will fail to achieve them. If Diebold wants to keep things the same for the time being, this will only compound an already dysfunctional company. Due to the lack of leadership, vision, and self-preserving nature of the current management, the future growth of this company will continue to stagnate until change comes." [source]

"28 of 114 or about 1 in 4 precincts called in this AM with either memory card issues "please re-insert", units that wouldn't take ballots - even after recycling power, or units that needed to be recycled. We reburned 7 memory cards, 4 of which we didn't need to, but they were far enough away that we didn't know what we'd find when we got there (bad rover communication)." [source]

"I need some answers! Our department is being audited by the County. I have been waiting for someone to give me an explanation as to why Precinct 216 gave Al Gore a minus 16022 when it was uploaded. Will someone please explain this so that I have the information to give the auditor instead of standing here 'looking dumb'." [source]

"Johnson County, KS will be doing Central Count for their mail in ballots. They will also be processing these ballots in advance of the closing of polls on election day. They would like to log into the Audit Log an entry for Previewing any Election Total Reports. They need this, to prove to the media, as well as, any candidates & lawyers, that they did not view or print any Election Results before the Polls closed. However, if there is a way that we can disable the reporting functionality, that would be even better." [source]

"4K Smart cards which had never been previously programmed are being recognized by the Card Manager as manager cards. When a virgin card from CardLogix is inserted into a Spyrus (have tried CM-0-2-9 and CM-1-1-1) the prompt 'Upgrade Mgr Card?' is displayed. Pressing the ENTER key creates a valid manager card. This happens in Admin mode and Election mode."

from http://scdc.sccs.swarthmore.edu/diebold/

more links

http://www.fact-index.com/d/di/diebold.html

wow!

http://diebold.f-451.net/search/search.php

Hmm... some weird stuff on that link...

Look what i found

Re: Ballot Box and Accu Vote modifications

* To: support@gesn.com

* Subject: Re: Ballot Box and Accu Vote modifications

* Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:57:28 -0600

* References: <OKEBJILPEGPGGFGBGOOMCEMKCAAA.fkglobal@earthlink.net>

As far as I know these are ony GBS concerns. Whether these changes were generated by customers or because GBS thought it would be better I am not sure. I personally prefer the present method. It stays with the idea of better security by requiring a poll worker with a key for access. Since the printer only prints at opening and closing I see no need for the tape to be exposed all day.

IMHO Don B

Frank Kaplan wrote:

> Are these primarily GBS / Wisconsin issues?

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Larry Dix

> Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 9:28 AM

> To: Support@gesn.com

> Subject: Ballot Box and Accu Vote modifications

>

> There has been a recent request to make 2 modifications, one to the ballot box and one to the Accu Vote.They are:

>

> 1.Cut a hole in the front of the ballot box to allow access to the yes and no button with out unlocking and opening the front panel.

>

> 2.Cut an opening in the top of the Accu Vote printer cover that would allow the paper tape to feed out the top of the Accu Vote with out unlocking and removing the printer cover.

>

> I would like to get your input on these 2 requests immediately.I would like to know if you are aware of any legal, security, or problematic issues that these requests might raise.Can you give me any reason or state statute that would prohibit this from being acceptable in the states that you are familiar with.I realize that this will raise questions from a manufacturing point of view, put I need your input from a support point of view.

>

> Thank you

>

> Larry J. Dix

>

> Vice President of Operations

>

> Global Election Systems

Hmmm????

----- Original Message -----

To: support@gesn.com

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 7:09 AM

Subject: RE: Removal of "Resume Counting" feature

Consider these scenarios:

An election in which there is a court order to extend the closing of the polls. Some of the precincts do not get word in time and had closed out their machines.

Poll workers revolting and closing their polls early. It has happened in some jurisdictions in the recent California elections

I have used the feature at a precinct where an overzealous poll worker closed the machine at the exact closing time even though there were eligible voters still in line.

Not having the resume counting feature would cause severe problems. Redownloading cards. Resetting the GEMS database to allow the redownloading of cards. Manually adding the two sets accumulated totals of the precinct. Inputting the totals manually into the database.

[steve Ricke]

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Cathi Smothers

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 7:35 AM

Jeff,

In my experience, the “Resume Count” feature has been used to correct the mistakes of poll workers who “accidentally” end the election before it is over. Granted, I don’t have a real life instance that I can tell you about where touch screen has been used but I have utilized the “Resume Count” function in the OS world a number of times when poll workers have used the “End” card in the middle of the day.

Yes, it’s dumb and seems highly unlikely but I guarantee you that it can happen and the “Resume Count” feature is the only way we can recover. It’s our fail safe measure for poll workers who think they have a better idea of how the election should be conducted.

Cathi

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Jeff Hallmark

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 8:19 AM

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Nel Finberg

Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 9:57 PM

Subject: Re: Removal of "Resume Counting" feature

Jeff, Resume Counting is accessible only once an election has been ended on the AccuVote-TS unit, placing the unit in Post-Election Mode,and not before. In order to have accessed Post-Election Mode, the election must first have been ended using the Administrator card and the entry of a Supervisor Password, and presumably also printed a results report. Therefore, the results will be known anyway. The provision of the Administrator card and the Supervisor password provide the security interface necessary that assures that the election is not fraudulently ended on the BallotStation and results reported.

The fact is we can restart the election process after it has been ended, no guarantee exist that there will never be an opportunity for one unscrupulous individual, acting alone and unobserved, to compromise the election by previewing the results either via the Ballot Review process or by printing an “interim report”. This is the point that the Technical Committee has voiced and echoed by Jim Dearman.

We have the opportunity to provide sufficient reason why anyone having Administrator access would ever have the need to end the election before the official closing of the polls.

Respond to this post as soon as possible with reasons we need this feature.

This seems like absurd reasoning to me. We have no way of keep election workers from stuffing ballot boxes, either. All polling activities occur in a scrutinized manner, that is, under the watchful eye of observers. If an administration is not capable of preventing unlawful activities from occuring, ie. individuals absconding with equipment and damaging it, or performing fraudulent activities with the equipment, how can that be our responsibility? As I have indicated, if more ballots have been voted on the unit in Resume Counting and the unit closed again, the count will not reconcile with the amounts in GEMS. An inspection of the audit log will confirm that this occured. I am not familiar with physical poll closing activities, but if the PCMCIA cards are removed from the unit after uploading and placed in sealed containers, the possibility of fraudulent activity also diminishes considerably.

Refer to the comments several others have made as to the justification for Resume Counting on the AccuVote-TS unit. I have to say I also remain to be convinced, as the AccuVote-TS is different from the AccuVote-OS in functionality.

In any event, I was just informed by Tab that Resume Counting would be removed, so it's a non-issue.

All steps of election close must by necessity occur in a secure manner, under the supervision of polling judges, thus preventing any fraudulent entry of results. Remember also that the change in election mode is reflected in the Audit log, that election media may be uploaded once only, and the voting device results reports must balance against the GEMS results reports.

There is a very comprehensive audit trail, yet Jim Dearman has had recent discussions, within the last week, with the FEC Technical Committee concerning this topic of “interim report printing” and has deemed that the audit trail is not adequate. There is no automated check by GEMS of the audit trail during upload and unless a thorough canvas is done the election closing / reopening would go undetected. Keep in mind that the idea here is not to have to rely upon “Jurisdictional procedures” to ensure election security. Uploading multiple times is not at issue.

This behavior is consistent with the AccuVote-OS, which we have been using for many years now. Resume Counting may only be accessed on the AccuVote-OS from Post-Election Mode, and not before. In order to access Post-Election Mode, an AccuVote Ender card must be submitted to the unit, upon which the results report is automatically printed. Again, in order to even have reached the Resume Counting option, a results report must have been printed.

Nel

The results report is not automatically printed, rather the option dialog to print a result report is presented.

At this juncture we need concrete reasons why our customers need this feature Wyle will accept the feature given we can provide those reasons.

Jeff Hallmark

Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 7:09 PM

Subject: Removal of "Resume Counting" feature

Ballot Station 4.3.4.0 is currently in process at Wyle Laboratories for

certification. The Resume Counting feature has become an issue. The feature

is considered undesirable because it is viewed as a breach of security as it

allows the "interim printing" of results and the subsequent resumption of

the election process. We have been asked for the reason(s) that the Resume

Counting feature is available, it is imperative that anyone desiring this

feature respond to this post. Explain how this feature has been beneficial

to customers.

Jeff Hallmark

* References:

o RE: Removal of "Resume Counting" feature

+ From: "Steve Ricke" <steve@gesn.com>

* Prev by Date: Re: Removal of "Resume Counting" feature

* Next by Date: BallotStation NT4-3-4 machine ID/Select Precinct and Party

* Index(es):

o Chronological

o Thread

This one is about black box voting:

Re: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* To: support@gesn.com

* Subject: Re: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:34:40 -0800

* Organization: Global Election Systems Inc.

* References: <PPECJKNKLDJLKJPKPPIOGEGECJAA.ken@gesn.com>

Ken Clark wrote:

>

> It is not the code that is the problem. Electronic DRE sufferes from one

> critical difference from optical scan or other paper based systems. Paper

> is a write-once medium. Memory cards are read-write.

So all doubts would be quelled by using a WORM (Write-Once, Read-Many) device to record votes? I don't think so.

People have concerns about black-box technologies. They are being asked to trust what they can't see. This is reasonable and must be addressed by having trusted experts review the system and expose its strengths and weaknesses. Eva's posting was claiming that it wasn't possible for any expert to do that.

Of course our dear friend Paul Craft has followed up with a good response:

> [This note comes from Paul Craft, from the Florida

> Department of State Division of Elections, a

> long-time subscriber to this list. --LFC]

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Craft, Paul <PCraft@mail.dos.state.fl.us>

> To: 'Lorrie Faith Cranor' <lorrie@research.att.com>

> Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 9:13 AM

> Subject: RE: Waskell Response to Shamos' DRE Challenge

>

> I am so (darn) tired of hearing conspiracy theories about "hidden code". If

> you do a decent job of examining and testing systems, proper acceptance

> testing, maintain strict release control and maintain reasonable security

> over your equipment, you don't have to worry about "hidden code". If you

> fail to do all of these things, then you will have much bigger problems than

> "hidden code".

>

> Paul Craft

>

--- Guy

This one is creepy....

Florida

* To: "Global Support" <support@dieboldes.com>, "Global Sales" <salestalk@dieboldes.com>

* Subject: Florida

* Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:35:08 -0800

WASHINGTON D.C. - Following an emergency meeting Tuesday morning, Congress unanimously voted to eject Florida from the United States of America. The move was a reaction to the confusion and irregularities in the state's voting numbers that have totally disrupted the 2000 presidential election.

"This is the last straw," said Utah senator Orin Hatch. "First Elian Gonzales, now this." Several congressmen told reporters the decision has been a long time in coming. "We're all pretty much sick of Florida," said representative Barney Frank. "They've been a constant embarrassment for too long now." Added Frank, "They had Dan Marino for a while, but what have they done lately? Oh that's right, screw up our entire democracy. I forgot"

In a speech on the Senate floor, Massachusetts senator Ted Kennedy commented that the loss of Florida's sizable elderly population will free up billions of dollars in social security funds. "These are valuable funds which can now be redirected toward national defense. We can finally rebuild our demoralized, weakened military," said the Senator to roaring applause.

From her New York campaign headquarters, freshly elected Senator Hillary Clinton echoes the sentiments of her future colleagues on Capitol Hill, calling Florida "a hurricane-addled hellhole full of scheming Cuban immigrants." "Learn freakin' English already, you banana boat bums," Clinton added.

As a result of the Florida screw-up, the House and Senate decreed a new election will take place in early December. This time, ballots in each state will be tabulated by robots. "It is clear that our human vote-counting system is too inherently flawed," said Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert. "The presence of these new, superior, robotic tabulators will ensure 100% accuracy." "Remember," said Hastert, "every vote counts, especially if it's counted by robots."

Dynamiting will begin in Florida next Wednesday, after which the state will be completely geographically separated from the United States. "After that, they're on their own," said Hastert. "I hope they sink."

This looks like it would have been interesting : sorry if it seems like I am spamming. This is crazy stuff...

VIP Voting Integrety Conf 2000

* To: "Sales" <salestalk@dieboldes.com>

* Subject: VIP Voting Integrety Conf 2000

* Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:53:25 -0800

is anyone going? just curious

attached is brochure text and pdf

Tari Runyan

Global Election Systems, Inc.

P.O. Box 747 (mailing)

2716 Fairview CT. (street)

Montesano WA 98563

voice 360-249-2445

fax 360-249-2285

cell 360-270-1159

trglobal@earthlink.net

Our conference program is building into an exciting two-days of program

offerings you simply cannot find anywhere else!

Our conference registration website is about to launch (by Monday) and will

offer the ability to register and pay on-line, but I thought I would give you

the latest advance schedule of speakers and panels. Seating is limited so

don't wait to sign up!

--Advance Program--

VIP Voting Integrity 2000 Conference

March 30 - April 1, 2000

Marriott Metro Center

Washington, DC

FRIDAY, MARCH 31

9 am - 5 pm Registration

9 am - 5 pm PRESIDENTIAL STRAW POLL & INTERNET VOTING

DEMONSTRATION (Courtesy of I-Politic.com)

9 am - 5 pm Vendor and Election Equipment Displays

GENERAL SESSION

10 am PRESS CONFERENCE

NOON LUNCHEON —The Hon Darryl R. Wold (Chairman, Federal

Elections Commission)

1:45 pm CONFERENCE OPENING SESSION

Welcoming Remarks by Helen Blackwell (VIP Chairman)

2:00 pm DEBATE: "Does Money Corrupt Politics?"

Moderated by The Hon David Mason (FEC Commissioner)

Panel Members: Professor Prof Steve Bronars (Univ of Texas)

Professor Burt Neuborn (NYU School of Law)*

3:00 pm COFFEE BREAK

3:15 pm PANEL: "One Person One Vote in the Twenty-first Century"

Moderated by Linda Chavez (Center for Equal Opportunity)

Panel members: Bob Heghmann (One Man One Vote); Steven A

Camarota (Center for Immigration Studies); Paul Donnelly (Immigration Reform

Committee)*; Gabriel Escobar (The Washington Post)*

4:15 pm PANEL - "Early Voting and Vote-Only-By Mail Reforms"

Moderated by Paul de Gregorio (University of Missouri)

Panel members: The Hon Bill Bradbury (OR Secy of State)*;

Tony Sirvello (Immediate past president of IACREOT & Harris County TX

Election Director); Curtis Gans (Committee for the Study of the American

Electorate)

5:30 pm WELCOMING RECEPTION -- Featuring Darrell Green (of the

Washington Redskins and the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation)

SATURDAY - APRIL 1

8 am - 5:00 pm REGISTRATION

8 am - 5:00 pm PRESIDENTIAL STRAW POLL & INTERNET VOTING DEMONSTRATION

(Courtesy of I-Politic.com)

8:00 am CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST

8:30 am OPENING SESSION REMARKS - Conference Chairman

9:00 am PANEL: "Approaches to Fighting Election Fraud"

Moderated by: Hans von Spakovsky (Fulton County Election

Commission, Atlanta GA)

Panel members: The Hon Jeannemarie Devolites (Delegate

Virginia Legislature), The Hon Sean Cavanagh (Commissioner, Fayette County

PA); Charlie Young (Charlie Young & Associates); George Bruder (Senior VP,

DBT Online, Inc.); Emmit "Bucky" Mitchell (Ass't Gen Counsel, FL Board of

Elections)*

10:00 am COFFEE BREAK

10:15 am PANEL: "New Challenges to the American Voting Franchise"

Moderated by Mark Spradley

Panel members: The Hon Marvin "Doc" Cheatham (President,

Baltimore City Board of Elections); Fred Scheigert; The Hon Kenneth Melvin

(Virginia House of Delegates)*; Cynthia D Waddell (City of San Jose)

11:15 am PANEL: "Open vs Closed Primaries"

Moderated by (TBA)

Panel members: Patrick M McSweeney, Esq. (McSweeney, Burtch

and Crump)*; Others TBA

12:30 pm LUNCHEON - KEYNOTE ADDRESS: JOHN FUND (EDITOR, THE WALL

STREET JOURNAL)

2:00 pm Panel: "Are We Ready for Internet Voting?"

Moderated by Dr Lorrie Faith Cranor (AT&T Labs)

Panel members: Shannon Wainwright (I-Politics.com); Jim Adler

(VoteHere.net)*; Prof Jonathan Turley (Public Interest Law Center, George

Washington University); David Jefferson (Compaq Computers/Member of

California Internet Task Force); Richard Smith (Internet Security Expert)

3:30 pm COFFEE BREAK

3:45 pm CONCURRENT SESSIONS

PANEL: "Ballot Access and Third Party Impact on Election

Integrity"

Moderated by Dr Scott Becker (Ballot Access Coalition)

Panel members: Richard Winger (Editor, Ballot Access News);

Lewis Loss, Esq. (Commission on Presidential Debates)*; Prof Alan Lichtman

(American University)*

PANEL: "Media's Changing Attitudes About Election Fraud"

Moderated by: Larry Hart (HARTCO Strategies)

Panel members: David Broder (The Washington Post)*, Malia

Zimmerman (Pacific Business News); Paul Sunyak (Herald Tribune); Lance

Williams (SF Examiner)*

4:45 pm CONCURRENT SESSIONS

PANEL: "The Changing of the Guard -- Engaging Tomorrow's

Electorate"

Moderated by: Dr Veronica Diconti, American University's

Washington Semester Program

Panel members: Daniel Schorr (NPR)*; Dr William Bennett*;

Prof. Mary Ellen Shearer ("Nonvoters; America's No-Shows"; Ed McElroy

(American Federation of Teachers)*; Karl Kurtz (National Conference of State

Legislatures)*

PANEL: "Direct vs Deliberative Democracy"

Moderated by: Morton Blackwell (Chairman, The Leadership

Institute)

Panel members: Jonah Goldberg (Editor, National Review*; M.

Dane Waters (Initiative and Referendum Institute); J. Ray Kennedy (Internal

Foundation for Election Systems)

6:00 pm SPECIAL VIP SPONSOR RECEPTION

7:00 pm FRED SCHEIGERT AWARDS GALA

Featuring a debate between

The Hon Thomas Jefferson and

The Hon Patrick Henry

(in cooperation with The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation)

Presentation of The Fred Scheigert Award

Keynote Address

Sponsors:

DBT Online, Inc.

Carr Goodson Warner

The Federalist Society

Fidlar & Chambers Company

Initiative and Referendum Institute

I-politic.com

The Leadership Institute

US Newswire, Inc

*invited

conference.pdf

* Prev by Date: RE: Costs of operating a motor vehicle

* Index(es):

o Chronological

They send the votes over the internet! That's scary in itself.

No, there hasn't been a lot of research in the area of digital modems for the AccuVote. I don't think anyone thought that any site in the country (let alone California) would be converting fax lines to digital.

We've been trying to design a new internal modem for the AccuVote-OS. We are trying to design it for worldwide telephone systems (or the ability to be built for either N. American or European systems), but there has been no movement towards creating a digital modem.

Right now, there are converter boxes on the market. If you saw Guy's previous email, then you would have seen my write-up on the PORTS Surelink Adapter. It works, but it needs initial setup for each site (trial and error type of setup) to match the idiosyncrasies of the specific digital system installed in the building (they aren't all created equal). But even that device can or can't do auto-dial (again depending on the digital system in the building).

The Surelink is something we found three years ago. There's probably others on the market but I haven't spent any time looking for them. I'll discuss this with Jeff Dean to see where he wants to go with it.

Ian

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Steve Knecht

Sent: February 09, 2001 8:10 PM

Subject: Accu-vote & digital phones

Today I received call from Spokane WA. They have been out looking at polling locations (RFP to follow).

They are asking what AccuVote capability exists for their schools (they have alot of school polling locations) and many of the distrits have converted all phone lines (including fax - does that make sense - is their "digital faxes"?). They want to know our plan for several years down the line as more and more locations go digital.

Guy said "No, we haven't made any enhancements and at this point we know of none that we could make." Does anyone know of a "converter box" or something that can be attached to AccuVote?? or phone line to make AV modem work with digital lines? "Ian has done a little research in this area but I haven't heard of much success." Ian, can you report on this? Is it a question of having done our homework and there is no solution, or we haven't really done too much research? Comments.

Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 3:16 PM

Subject: Re: FW: Accu-vote & digital phones

> As our polling sites keep changing their analog phone lines over to

> digital, our election workers are having more difficulty in transmitting

> the information from the accu-vote machines to the regional offices.

> Has Global made any enhancements to accommodate these changes in

> telecommunications?

No, we haven't made any enhancements and at this point we know of none that we could make. As far as I know, there are at least several different types of digital lines. Therefore we would require either a universal adaptor, separate adaptors for each type, a universal external modem, or separate modems for each type of digital line. Ian has done a little research in this area but I haven't heard of much success.

Unfortunately we don't have the latest discussion on this in our archives (July 1998) so I'll append the messages here.

Guy

---

Subject: Digital phone lines and Accuvotes

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:44:50 -0700

Tari Runyan wrote:

> Just a curious question... I know that most of the telephone technology

> is heading toward digital lines - many of our customers already have

> them -

> Is this going to phase out analog lines and thus force us to modify or

> change completely the way the Accuvotes communicate using analog lines

> now- and force us to accomodate the digital phone lines?

> Is anyone getting any grumbling ( besides me) from clients regarding the

> ability (currently the lack of ) to use digital phone lines?

Guy Lancaster wrote:

> Okay, here's my 2 bits on the subject. As far as I know, phone lines are

> inherently analog. By phone lines, I mean the lines running from the office

> to the local telephone switching station. They require repeaters to be

> installed about every 2 kilometers and with these they install low pass

> filters to cut high frequency noise that listeners find very annoying. The

> Accu-Vote, like personal computers, use modems to perform digital

> communications over these analog phone lines.

>

> So what do people mean by digital phone lines? They could mean any one of

> a multitude of options. ISDN, xDSL (including HDSL, SDSL, ADSL, and VDSL),

> ATM, and Frame Relay are all digital transmission protocols designed to

> carry both voice and data digitally. These are carried on STD (Standard

> Twisted Pair - i.e. normal phone lines), and coax and fiber optic cable.

> The combinations are enormous and at this point, there is no clear leader in

> any particular application area. All of these techologies require special

> black boxes on the local end of the line(s) to convert these protocols to

> something the customer can use. Which leads to what I am guessing people

> mean by digital lines...

>

> PBX (Private Branch Exchange) systems are phone systems installed in

> business environments to take a number of voice and data "channels" from the

> phone company and distribute them to the telephones and other equipment at

> the local site. These PBX's are accessed through RJ-11 or RJ-45 jacks

> installed in office walls, floors, and utility posts. Since the connectors

> may be the same as those used for "standard" phones, people often think of

> the jacks as "phone lines". However, you cannot just plug a standard phone

> into one of these jacks and have it work. That's because some of the wires

> in the connection are used to communicate with the PBX and without them, you

> don't get any services. Unfortunately each PBX defines its own protocols so

> you will not likely be able to plug in your neighbors PBX handset into your

> lines unless you share the same type.

>

> What this means is that the Accu-Votes telephone line port cannot be

> directly connected to one of the normal jacks in the office. Instead

> customers usually have to borrow a standard phone line (usually installed

> for a fax machine) or have one installed for Accu-Vote use. People would of

> course like to be able to just plug the Accu-Vote into one of their normal

> (PBX) jacks and have it work. This is what I interpret from the request for

> supporting digital phone lines.

>

> It would be very difficult (and expensive) to support this directly. What

> PBX systems would we support? How much additional hardware would be

> required? Are there pocket sized adaptors available that we could install

> in the Accu-Vote instead of a regular modem? I suspect that serious

> investigation of these questions would lead to the conclusion that it's not

> worth it. I could be wrong...

>

> In the Vancouver office we have a PBX that allows us to in plug an

> Accu-Vote and use it provided that you plug one of the office handsets into

> the telephone handset connector on the Accu-Vote. Then you use the handset

> to select an outside line and then the Accu-Vote dials normally.

>

> I suspect that other systems wouldn't support this. Ian has tried to use

> a special adaptor at the McKinney office in order to connect his computer

> modem but last I heard he had not been successful. However, such an adaptor

> would seem to be the logical answer and I'm sure that some telephone

> equipment manufacturers offer them for their PBX systems. I'm afraid that

> it will be up to the customer reps to talk to the customer's PBX supplier to

> check in to this. Just explain that you want to be able to connect a

> computer modem to an outside modem through their PBX. I would be keen to

> hear what you find.

"Ian S. Piper" wrote:

> Adapters:

>

> I have setup the SureLink Digital Telephone Adapter to gain access to outside

> lines from the MCKinney PBX system. This is how I currently access my Internet

> connection. Unfortunately, the adapter only supports auto-dial on about 50% of

> digital PBX systems. On the McKinney PBX, I have to let the computer dial its

> number (not that it is connected to a dial tone or anything), lift the handset,

> choose an outside line, and then dial the number manually. There is also a

> signal strength switch that must be set to an optimum position (1 thru 4) for

> your telephone system. The manual does list the auto-dial compatibility of

> numerous digital PBX systems and the signal strength switch recommended initial

> setting. Once everything is configured and tested, it works fine. But without

> an auto-dial compatibility, a poll worker would require special training to use

> it.

>

> It's not as simple an operation as you would want for a poll worker. I

> recommend still using an analog fax line at the precinct site. But if a fax

> line cannot be found, then this may be an alternate solution for you. The

> retail cost on these items will be 180.00 US each. No discounts are available

> for this item.

Ken Clark wrote:

> > Is anyone getting any grumbling ( besides me) from clients regarding the

> > ability (currently the lack of ) to use digital phone lines?

> > Tari

>

> Digital phone lines are very cool. Everyone is going to dedicated T1 lines

> for their telco systems. There are systems available from 3COM and Cisco

> systems that give you a bank of modems that can communicate directly with

> their T1. They would be extremely nice to work with, because there would

> not be all the cabling hastle that we currently have. They also integrate

> with TCP/IP protocols, which is how the the AccuVote 2.0 firmware

> communicates. This would mean, at the end of the day, two cables (T1 in and

> ethernet out) to handle 24 phone lines. The systems are very reliable.

> This is how you local ISP works.

>

> This is all fine and well, but:

>

> - The equipment is very expensive. In a perfect world, the big counties

> will already have the equipment, but since they usually use their lines

> mostly for voice communication, they probably won't. Very expensive means

> $500 per line.

>

> - You need a lot of network training to know how to set these systems up.

>

> The other route we can go, is to farm out the whole telephone thing to an

> ISP (who already has the equipment) and do everything over the internet.

> This will probably be the way things work in the long term. With the

> internet, what you have to start worrying about is security.

* References:

o Accu-vote & digital phones

+ From: "Steve Knecht" <skglobal@earthlink.net>

* Prev by Date: Accu-vote & digital phones

* Next by Date: RE: Spyrus Card Burning Environment

* Index(es):

o Chronological

o Thread

Somewhere, out there, are hard copies.....

Re: New Generation AccuVote - AT Improvements (Printers)

* To: "Ian S. Piper" <ian@gesn.com>

* Subject: Re: New Generation AccuVote - AT Improvements (Printers)

* Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:01:59 -0700

* Cc: "Support Global" <Support@gesn.com>, "Salestalk Global" <Salestalk@gesn.com>

Ian,

I think that your conclusion that an internal printer be required is a correct conclusion. Just to add to the justification, in our Gaston County AccuVote TS elections we print a " Zero" and an "Election Totals" Report from each AccuTouch TS unit. We then download the results from each AccuVote TS to one Disk for loading into the the Poll book.

RObert

To: salestalk@gesn.com <salestalk@gesn.com>; support@gesn.com <support@gesn.com>

Date: Friday, April 23, 1999 8:14 AM

Subject: Re: New Generation AccuVote - AT Improvements (Printers)

><< Would it be reasonable for the poll workers to take the one or more

>external printers around to eachAT in turn to print out the results? >>

>

>I think this would be possible in the precinct. What I'm wondering about is

>when we are testing hundreds of units and we want to test a line of 20 or 40

>units at the same time, would using external printers be effective. Maybe

>it's better in fact. I'm simply encouraging the development team to think

>about the testing phase as well as the election day focus.

External Thermal Printer

Steve Ricke has found a handheld thermal printer that is battery powered (7.2VDC) and prints 52 characters per line and has an Infra-red (IrDa) Interface or a RS-232C modular jack serial interface. Its dimensions are 6" x 6" x 2-1/2" with the paper holder and weighs less than a pound. Its the Seiko DPU-3445 and it is already Windows CE and Windows 95/98 compatible. The retail cost starts at $242 (with battery and is currently available. It prints at a speed of 2.0 inches per second on a 4 inch wide paper stock. It can print 8000 lines on a single charge.

Some of its benefits/disadvantages:

* requires special paper

* the life expectency of the report isn't as long as an ink report

* it has the IrDa interface which means ease of use (no cables). I don't think printing reports on an IR link can be construed as a security concern (as opposed to uploading results)

* its light and portable

Printing Report Data

Question: Do we want to print a results report from each machine at the end of the election day or do we want to group the election results on one machine and print one report that reflects how that particular precinct voted (like the AccuVote does). I know the polling sites I have visited during election nights were always keen on seeing that report. Besides, they had to post the report as well on the door or window of the polling place.

Another Question: How's that going to work with five DRE's each producing a report. Wouldn't they have to post all five reports on the window?

Accumulating Report Data

Say we want to accumulate the results from each machine onto one machine (i.e., a poll book) and print the results report from that poll book, wouldn't it make sense to have that same printer equipped machine print the zero totals tapes? Would anybody doubt that the zero totals actually came from each machine? I'd say that if somebody pointed an IrDa printer at an AccuVote-TS and printed a zero totals tape or a results tape, I'd wonder about the integrity. It could be perceived that the tapes were generated inside the printer box and not from the AccuVote-TS. Maybe we ought to stick with the cable attached option just for sake of perception.

AccuVote /AccuVote-TS Common Design Features

Question: Aren't we trying to design this AccuVote-TS with a common base that can also be used for the Accu-Vote? If that is the case, then we want an internal printer in every AccuVote because every AccuVote needs to print zero totals. I guess that kills the idea of an external printer unless for election prep, you want to allow the system to print on an external printer. But if you do that then you wouldn't be testing the internal printer that would be used on election day.

Conclusion

I have now convinced myself (regardless answers you might give to my questions above) that the above is drivel and rambling because I have also convinced myself that we must design in the space required to house an internal printer even if we don't install it. You can have the internal printer installed as an option for AccuVote-TS and use an external printer instead, but why bother if you've already got the space available for an internal printer and there really is no cost justification for the external printer over the internal printer.

So, in the words of Rosanna Rosanna Danna, "Never mind".

Ian

* Prev by Date: Belmont City ABC referendum in Gastonia Co.

* Next by Date: Fw: GEMS questions

* Index(es):

o Chronological

o Thread

RE: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* To: <support@gesn.com>

* Subject: RE: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:31:35 -0600

* Importance: Normal

* In-reply-to: <3A3824B7.751AC9EB@gesn.com>

> Actually this would be far harder to do than suggested here. Consider

> the many possible checks to catch just this kind of attack. The simplest

> is to compare the code that is used to a master copy. This can be done by

> computing hash values and/or by a bit-by-bit comparison. Thus, if the

> code changed, it would be easily caught.

It is not the code that is the problem. Electronic DRE sufferes from one

critical difference from optical scan or other paper based systems. Paper

is a write-once medium. Memory cards are read-write.

Ken

* Follow-Ups:

o Re: DRE systems can't be trusted???

+ From: Guy Lancaster <glanca@gesn.com>

* References:

o DRE systems can't be trusted???

+ From: Guy Lancaster <glanca@gesn.com>

* Prev by Date: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* Next by Date: Re: DRE systems can't be trusted???

* Index(es):

o Chronological

o Thread

All's I know is, in many Ohio and Florida counties that run on the Diebold machines, there were more registered votes than registered voters (ie: 7000 registered voters yet 9000 registered votes) and all the extras went to Bush; registered Democrat votes for Kerry seem to have turned to Bush votes in Ohio and Florida; the man who owns Diebold, based out of Ohio, publically announced that he would bring in Ohio for Bush. The whole company is owned by Republicans who make large donations to the GOP.

If this does not anger you, or you think that we should ignore it and look ahead to 2008, you're blind. There needs to be some sort of investigation into this, grassroots or not.

I believe Bush officially becomes the winner on December 18th, so people are saying that is the cut-off date for action.

i honestly don't know that enough americans are enraged enough or they think that there is nothing that can be done about it.

look at it this way: if democrats say anything about it, it's just passed off by republicans as propagandist shit or 'sore losers'.

i don't think this country has been ruled by 'we the people' for a very long time.

Body: Body: Something BIG is about to happen

Dear Friends,

When actress Susan Sarandon appeared on the Bill Maher show over the weekend, he asked her what is the biggest issue we face as a nation.

Her reply was "voter fraud."

The usually knowledgeable Maher had no idea what she was talking about. When he asked, she replied: "Something BIG is about to happen."

What I'm about to tell you is going to be hard to swallow at first. But if you're like most of us, once you start looking at the evidence, you'll scrape yourself off the ceiling, put your eyeballs back in their sockets, and you'll try to figure out what to do. So here it is.

The highest crime in the history of our country took place on November 2nd. The evidence is now mounting (into a HUGE mountain) that the election was stolen. There is already a congressional investigation underway and a consumer investigation (headed by Ralph Nader).

Electronic voting machines that were manufactured by supporters of the Republican Party were used to alter the will of the people.

The internet message boards and chat rooms are bursting with talk about this. You can wait another couple days to hear about it in the mainstream media, or you can read on. Just remember where you heard it first.

I will outline the key points in this email and provide a link with much more information at the bottom. More information is coming out literally by the minute.

The election was stolen with not just one tactic, but with several.

Key points

"Black Box" Electronic Voting Machines The key to it all was the use of electronic voting machines, that produce no paper trail. These were manufactured mainly by the two companies ESS and Diebold. Both of

these companies are big supporters of the Republican Party. Walden O'Dell, the owner of Diebold, said in a 2003 fundraising letter that he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year." Similarly, Chuck Hagel, the owner of ESS used his own machines to get elected to the United States Senate in Nebraska.

A bill was introduced in the House and Senate to outlaw these machines and require a paper printout of each vote so that they could be verified and/or recounted. The bill was stalled by the Republican Party, led by Senate Majority Leader Tom DeLay, and it was not allowed to come to vote.

Shortly after the November 2rd election, countless stories of problems with the machines began to surface. Many people tried to vote for Kerry and said that when the final confirmation screen came up it said they voted for Bush.

In one precinct in Ohio, 4,258 votes were given to Bush were there were only 638 registered voters. Many more stories about the black box voting machines, their problems, and the investigation into their tampering are circulating. Blackboxvoting.org is leading the way in the investigation to proving the results were tampered with.

Exit Polls

Exit polls were taken in every state. In those states that had verifiable paper trails for their ballots, the exit polls were virtually the same as the real results. However, in the states where electronic voting machines were used, the exit polls were mysteriously very different from the final reported totals. You can view the exit poll data directly yourself with the link at the bottom of this email.

Unusual Results

In the areas where computers were used to cast votes or tally them, some very strange results have surfaced. Here is just one example. In Baker County, Florida, there are 12,887 registered voters, 69.3% of them regsitered Democrats and 24.3% of them Republicans. The vote was only 2,180 for Kerry and 7,738 for Bush. Are we supposed to believe that 5 out of every 7 registered Democrats voted for Bush?

This pattern repeats itself in many Florida counties. You can view all the raw data for every Florida county at the link at the bottom of this email.

Shenanigans

In addition to the electronic voting machines, there was widespread voter intimidation and disenfranchisement on election day. In many democratic areas, people waited hours to vote, while Republicans "challenged" voters' rights to vote, forcing them to fill out a provisional ballot instead

of a real ballot.

The provisional ballots were not counted on election day and we may never know how many of them there were, or what rules will be used to qualify them. Flyers were sent to democratic areas with an array of false information on them. People were told their voting precinct had changed, that their voter registration was not valid, or that they would go to jail of they tried to vote. The list of shenanigans goes on

and on.

You can see the some of the flyers that were sent out and read about more of the shenanigans at the link at the bottom of this email.

Investigations

This is not conspiracy theory.

This is not hearsay.

There is evidence.

There are witnesses.

There are investigations underway.

Three Congressmen have sent a letter to the General Accountability Office requesting urgent action and an investigation. Ralph Nader is leading a consumer investigation into voter fraud countrywide, and has

already filed an official challenge to the voting results in New Hampshire.

You can read the letter to the GAO and more about Nader's efforts at the link below. They will call us sore losers. They will have their lawyers and computer experts too. They will refute the evidence. But the truth is on our side and we will prevail.

Here is the link to the information, if you would like to look into the details and become more aware of the biggest story about to break.

http://www.solarbus.org/stealyourelection

What we need now is for the information to get out to more people. The mainstream media will bury this until it's shoved down their throat.

So please forward this email to your friends and family. If every person tells 3 other people, everyone will know before the media decides to wake up.

Peace,

Gary Beckwith

Archived