Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

VIEWPOINT SPYWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER!!! (IMPORTANT)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by fermentor666, May 18, 2006.

1. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

Ok, my computer has been acting funny lately and I've been combing over things to pinpoint any problems. Aside from a Java trojan, not much has come up. I did a scan with this website program called Housecall by TrendMicro that works well and is free. Something came up that was labeled AWS or something, and it was unnamed so I did a search for it. A while later, I started learning about Viewpoint Media Player.

This is secretly installed with several programs, the biggest infiltration is with AIM. With AIM, the program is not only installed secretly, but upon removal it is automatically re-installed, EACH TIME YOU OPEN AIM

What does it do? Well, it used to just look for updates and hijack your browser with pop-ups, along with allowing AIM to do those video ads. As of this year, they have begun something much more devious: TRACKING AND COLLECTING YOUR EVERY MOVE ON THIS INTERNET AND DOING SO WITH PRIDE, CLAIMING IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST. - http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

This means that it is using not only your internet connection, but a heavy amount of resources on your PC. If you are experiencing any sort of slowdowns on your computer (not just the internet), this might be why. They claim to have 120 million "customers", so there is a very good chance that it is installed on your computer.

Here's a bit from their "privacy statement":

"Our clients are wide-ranging, from online retailers to auto manufacturers to online advertisers. For example, Sony uses Viewpoint to display complex features of its notebook, desktop, and server computing products. Toyota, Ford, and other car manufacturers use the Viewpoint player to highlight capabilities that are difficult to promote in a showroom or on a test drive. Many other product and service companies, most notably AOL, Coke, M&Ms, Sega, and Visa use Viewpoint for high-impact rich media advertising on a variety of popular web sites. The Viewpoint Media Player comes bundled with AOL, AIM, Adobe products and most retail computers sold today."

THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT SHOW UP ON A VAST MAJORITY OF SPYWARE DETECTION PROGRAMS AND WEBSITES, INCLUDING:

PestPatrol (Computer Associates)
    Norton
    Mcafee
    Hijackthis
    liutilities
    -----> Ad-aware <----------
    System Info
    Computer Cops
    Webroot Spysweeper
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    Spybot Search & Destroy

This is probably because either Viewpoint has paid these guys off, or they have found a loophole where you automatically sign their agreement when you install AIM. Also, they have only just recently started their tracking and collection, so the spyware detectors might still be playing catch-up.

If you open your Control Panel, you will most likely find Viewpoint has installed an icon even in there, as if it were an essential component.

Here's a way to remove it:

ViewPoint Media Player manual removal:
    Uninstall Viewpoint Media Player from 'Add/Remove Programs'. Make sure you close any programs that might use this and also check your taskmanager (ctrl+alt+delete) for the "viewmngr.exe" process, or anything else with it's name. If you see it, close it, because if you try to remove the program, it will not fully do so when it is open. CLOSE AIM, FOR SURE.

Misc:
    These Related files needs to be deleted if you want to remove viewpoint:
    AxMetaStream.dll, ComponentMgr.dll, MetaStreamID.ini, MtsAxInstaller.exe, npViewpoint.dll, npViewpoint.xpt, JpegReader.dll, Mts3Reader.dll, SceneComponent.dll, SreeDMMX.dll, SWFView.dll, WaveletReader.dll

BEFORE YOU READ ANY OF THE SITES BELOW, READ THIS ONE: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

YOU WILL SEE THE PRESS RELEASE REGARDING VIEWPOINT'S BLATENT DESTRUCTION OF YOUR PRIVACY. THIS IS VERY RECENT AND KEEP IT IN MIND WHENEVER YOU READ ANYTHING ABOUT THEM NOT BEING SPYWARE.

Here are some links to help you:

Removal:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-viewpoint-media-player.html - This site lists it as being "legitimate", obviously they have been comprimised, but still tell you how to get rid of it. You should also read the comments, because they go much further into the illegality and the removal.

http://www.download.com/ViewpointKiller/3000-2092_4-10492072.html - A "Viewpoint Killer", I have not tried this, but will after I begin the removal process.

Explanations:

Recent (March), guy also offers a hidden way to stop AIM from re-installing it, and a pathetic excuse for a man named "Michael Tzez" defends Viewpoint: http://edeldoug.blogs.com/thoughts_rants_raves_and_/2006/03/aols_forced_ins.html#comments

A very recent Slashdot discussion: http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/05/026202&from=rss

http://ask-leo.com/is_viewpoint_spyware.html - A guy named "Leo" explains some things, plus more of Michael Tzez's ranting, the guy is becoming a well-known name for those who try and speak out against Viewpoint.

For more information, simply search for "Viewpoint", "Viewpoint spyware", "Viewpoint removal", etc on Google.

Viewpoint has more users than Realplayer and nearly all of them never even knew they had installed it. Think about that and then go and rid yourself of this plague. They claim they are not spyware and campaign that statement, but they are lying and you should not be fooled. Please spread this information. The more people that know, the sooner this will end.

2. fermentor666

I'm going to go disconnect my computer from the internet, close all my programs, and destroy all traces of this spyware.

3. Feel Good Lost

Feel Good Lost New Jack

One of the many reasons I'm happy to own a Mac.

I read an interesting article in the Globe about how spyware companies need to clean up their act in the near future or risk prosecution / pay money damages.

It really is fucking insane how far they have gone to fuck with personal users.

4. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Veteran Member

thank god i dont have it
    id prolly be in jail right now
    im a pirate

5. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

is this the shit that comes with the newer versions of AIM?

Thats why I always stuck with 5.5

6. Fondles

Fondles Veteran Member

I had it, just removed it. Thanks for the tip.

7. trackstand

trackstand Senior Member

Fuck that... I got AIM 4.8 still on my PC.

Soon enough will I be getting a new laptop running OS 10 and I won't need to worry about the bullshit that comes along with running windows. I'm sick of it.

8. Mainter

Mainter Veteran Member

yet another example..................misteraven

9. Mainter

Mainter Veteran Member

you do not need to have AIM installed on your computer you can use multiple various other instant messenger clients like Gaim, Miranda, Trillian, Jabber that do not have viewpoint in them

viewpoint is on a mac so that would not matter anyway

10. Mainter

Mainter Veteran Member

oh might i also add it only tracks users that use IE, and netscape no matter how many times casek and i tell you GET FIREFOX

11. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

12. El Jefe Uno

El Jefe Uno Dirty Dozen Crew

yep, there it is in my process list
    atleast i use firefox

13. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

thanks for the info

14. WrIot

WrIot Senior Member

same here. as soon as i saw the name im like "What the FUCK does this "program" do anyway" *DELETE*

15. fermentor666

Older versions, too. Apparently, I've had it on my computer since at least 2003. According to the 2002 article I posted, Viewpoint had a 57% hold on North American internet users at that point, and they were mainly bundled with AIM and AOL. I would recommend GAIM or Trillian, in it's place.