Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the linux noob question thread 2004

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Jan 24, 2004.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

ok, right now, i'm seriously considering switching to linux. here are my main probs with it, though.

i use 3de studio max, and i hear that there is a version made for linux, but i can't afford that...the version i use were free. i know linux has a 3d prog for it, but i don't know how similar, etc. it is to 3dsm.

i really can't afford to relearn a whole new program now.

also, i use photoshop. i can't stand "the gimp"...

someone suggested i learn how to recompile the progs so i can use them on linux, but i know nothing when it comes to that.

i hate micro$oft. i'm on a win2k pro os right now....it's ok...but...i feel vulnerable...even though i have a firewall up, and various other security measures...

also, i hear that linux is alot more stable than windows could ever be.

what do you linux guys think? please don't get too hardcore with the linux lingo, i'm a noob, remember?

any info would be appreciated....forums, links, etc....

2. metallix

metallix Elite Member

linux is good if your like a legit user who pays for most of your software. but most people who get software "free" will find linux really lacking.
    its nice to have an alternative but its not really on par with windows xp if you actually want to be productive. depends what your doing though, computer security and programming , server, is for linux but everything else? eh

3. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

yeah, i'm mostly concerned about stability. security is nice, too....don't get me wrong, but stability is key

especially since ineed to squeeze all the power i can out of this 400mhz i'm on.

4. 23578

23578 Elite Member

sounds like a linux partition may be the cure.

5. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

AFAIK there is no version of Max for Linux yet.

You can't do that with commercial software. With the amount of multimedia you do I suggest staying with Win 2k and not even thinking about Linux again for the next 15 years, because you'll get nothing but hacked together crap on Linux at the moment, or a copy of Maya if you're lucky.

If you're worried about security, I suggest picking up a hardware firewall, such as one of those cheap netgear routers, and using that instead of software. Or, since you want to use linux but want to keep the graphic design stuff going as well, buy an old 486 or Pentium Pro machine and run a linux based firewall on it.

Linux is for networking/unix people, but mostly for angsty 14 year old hacker wannabees with god complexes who do nothing but sit around and design new desktops for an operating system that they are using primarily to chat in IRC all day about how good their operating system is.

Linux was more stable than Windows back in the 9x versions, but with 2k and good hardware you shouldn't notice the difference. I've had extremely long uptimes running Win2k pro. The Linux people will disagree with me here, because even though I said both OSes have good stability it is required that they believe Linux to be better than fucking life itself at all costs.

6. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

word. thanks gnometoys.

7. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

XP professional..The shizzle OS...

8. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

i hated xp pro when i was using it...i switched back to 2k pro for that very reason.

9. adderall

adderall Elite Member

a technical discussion on 12oz.. on linux no less.. wild

10. non-hetero

non-hetero Member

You are just gonna want a linux partition. You can try to run Windows Applications with a WinEmu like Wine but you should just save the frustration of trying.

Dual Boot my friend.