the linux noob question thread 2004

casekonly

ok, right now, i'm seriously considering switching to linux. here are my main probs with it, though.

i use 3de studio max, and i hear that there is a version made for linux, but i can't afford that...the version i use were free. i know linux has a 3d prog for it, but i don't know how similar, etc. it is to 3dsm.

i really can't afford to relearn a whole new program now.

also, i use photoshop. i can't stand "the gimp"...

someone suggested i learn how to recompile the progs so i can use them on linux, but i know nothing when it comes to that.

i hate micro$oft. i'm on a win2k pro os right now....it's ok...but...i feel vulnerable...even though i have a firewall up, and various other security measures...

also, i hear that linux is alot more stable than windows could ever be.

what do you linux guys think? please don't get too hardcore with the linux lingo, i'm a noob, remember?

any info would be appreciated....forums, links, etc....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

linux is good if your like a legit user who pays for most of your software. but most people who get software "free" will find linux really lacking.

its nice to have an alternative but its not really on par with windows xp if you actually want to be productive. depends what your doing though, computer security and programming , server, is for linux but everything else? eh

Originally posted by casekonly

ok, right now, i'm seriously considering switching to linux. here are my main probs with it, though.

i use 3de studio max, and i hear that there is a version made for linux, but i can't afford that...the version i use were free. i know linux has a 3d prog for it, but i don't know how similar, etc. it is to 3dsm.

AFAIK there is no version of Max for Linux yet.

i really can't afford to relearn a whole new program now.

also, i use photoshop. i can't stand "the gimp"...

someone suggested i learn how to recompile the progs so i can use them on linux, but i know nothing when it comes to that.

You can't do that with commercial software. With the amount of multimedia you do I suggest staying with Win 2k and not even thinking about Linux again for the next 15 years, because you'll get nothing but hacked together crap on Linux at the moment, or a copy of Maya if you're lucky.

i hate micro$oft. i'm on a win2k pro os right now....it's ok...but...i feel vulnerable...even though i have a firewall up, and various other security measures...

also, i hear that linux is alot more stable than windows could ever be.

what do you linux guys think? please don't get too hardcore with the linux lingo, i'm a noob, remember?

any info would be appreciated....forums, links, etc....

If you're worried about security, I suggest picking up a hardware firewall, such as one of those cheap netgear routers, and using that instead of software. Or, since you want to use linux but want to keep the graphic design stuff going as well, buy an old 486 or Pentium Pro machine and run a linux based firewall on it.

Linux is for networking/unix people, but mostly for angsty 14 year old hacker wannabees with god complexes who do nothing but sit around and design new desktops for an operating system that they are using primarily to chat in IRC all day about how good their operating system is.

Linux was more stable than Windows back in the 9x versions, but with 2k and good hardware you shouldn't notice the difference. I've had extremely long uptimes running Win2k pro. The Linux people will disagree with me here, because even though I said both OSes have good stability it is required that they believe Linux to be better than fucking life itself at all costs.

Archived