Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

spelling lessons with THE LAW

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by THE LAW, Oct 15, 2001.

1. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

as a service to the registered users of 12ozProphet Writer's Forum, THE LAW will be hosting a new thread containing the most frequently misspelled words on this site. Please enjoy.

Definition text comes from dictionary.com

First word up for the day:

DEFINITE/DEFINITELY

DEFINITE(df-nt)
    adj.
    Having distinct limits: definite restrictions on the sale of alcohol.
    Indisputable; certain: a definite victory.
    Clearly defined; explicitly precise: a definite statement of the terms of the will. See Synonyms at explicit.
    Grammar. Limiting or particularizing.
    Botany.
    Of a specified number not exceeding 20, as certain floral organs, especially stamens.
    Cymose; determinate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English diffinite, defined, from Latin dfntus, past participle of dfnre, to define. See define.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    defi·nite·ly adv.
    defi·nite·ness n.
    Usage Note: Definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (that is, the biography that sets the standard against which all other accounts of Nelson's life must be measured).

DEFINITE/DEFINITELY

ok, you see....all you kids have been spelling it DEFINATELY, and well...THAT'S JUST WRONG.

it helps THE LAW to think of the word FINITE as the root, even if he's not sure if that's true. you have to be very careful when typing this word outside of word processing programs, THE LAW knows for sure that Microsoft Word changes it automatically for you...so you may not even know you've been spelling it wrong.

2. CATS

CATS Senior Member

Welcome back, we definitely missed you!!!:king:

3. I like that.I live in europe and english is not my mother language.It seems that i could use those spelling lessons,i know it's all text in here
    but i could also use the pronunciation definition on some rare ones.

4. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

i spell what wrong all the time. but thats only because im typing to fast, it always ends up as 'waht'. i dont know why. same with that. "taht"

5. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Guest

who cares how u spell the shit its what you say that matters. this is graffiti your supposed to spell shit however you want
    as long as you get your point across, plus most kids on here are like 14 trust me

6. beardo

beardo Guest

but what about the real world. school papers, job applications.. etc.. why would anyone WANT to spell shit incorrectly anyway? lazy asses.

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if the point your trying to get across is that your lazy and ignorant, then yes ghost writer, do it by any means necessary...

8. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Guest

did i say that i'm the one that spells shit wrong stupid????naw i said who cares if the little kids that go on here which is like 75% of the people on here spell shit wrong. haha i dont even look at seeking as a writer sware to god. i just look at him as the guy thats on the internet.

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

jets, glad to see you got your L key fixed. we almost didnt recognize you.

10. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

OH SHIT! someone dropped the ball on this one.
    a perfect example of tomorrow's lesson: YOUR vs. YOU'RE

11. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

damnit, i know that one too, i just get lazy. fuck. i'm at your mercy LAW, i have sinned.

12. CATS

CATS Senior Member

This is great, eventually with enough of THE LAW's lessons we will all be up to snuff on our grammatical dialect. I only hope that I'll be able to keep up with the rest of the class.:king:

13. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

The most annoying error I've noticed in the last year or two is the frightening number of otherwise literate people who can't get the its/it's complex right. For the few heads bothering to read this thread, here it is:

The word it's is a contraction of two words, it is (or rarely it has).
    It's a nice day.
    I can't paint because it's my bowling night.
    If you put the apostrophe in there, make sure you meant to say it is.
    You can also use it as a contraction of it has.
    It's been a long night.

The word its is the possessive neuter case, just like saying his or hers.
    This can has gunk in its valve.
    Its face will give you nightmares.

Here's a sentence with both. Remember, when you see the apostrophe, automatically think contraction of it is. When you don't see the apostrophe, it's like his or hers.
    I can't tell if it's a guy or girl because of its weird clothing and androgynous appearance.

14. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

THE LAW wishes to thank Mr. Ass and was sincerely hoping that he would be willing to help with this thread. Cracked, your continued participation would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow our lesson will be YOUR's and YOURS, followed by THERE, THEIRS and THEY'RE.