1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

running - marathons - endurance training

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ubejinxed, Jul 18, 2003.

1. ubejinxed

ubejinxed 12oz Veteran Member

running - marathons - endurance training

Discussion started by ubejinxed - Jul 18, 2003

ok, 2nd thread of the day.

so i've decided to train for a half marathon in October, i'm up to like 5mi now and i know some of you said you did track or cross country in school, any tips or related experiences?

how about triathalons, or road races i know some of you are crazy bike types.

any stories or advice.

maybe this thread will flop, since ya'll are cubies like me or nerd machine lovers. maybe not.

running like a maniac!!!

ubejinxed - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. JimmieWalker

JimmieWalker 12oz Senior Member

JimmieWalker - Replied Jul 18, 2003

I run 5 miles a day also...did you have to work up to that distance or have you allways been run long distances?

JimmieWalker - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. ubejinxed

ubejinxed - Replied Jul 18, 2003

my usual run is about 3/4 miles, so 5 miles isn't too bad but i have to get up to 13miles, which i think is a stretch for me and my short ass legs (5'3")

4. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Poop Man Bob - Replied Jul 18, 2003

I ran a marathon in '99. The training for the January race started in August, as I was a first-time long distance runner, so it's good that you're starting now.

Search online, as there will be a good number of training schedules that you can follow depending on your speed (they usually measure it using your 3 mi./5k time). I'm sure you can find a free one that will provide a good amount of detail.

I just Googled "half-marathon training schedule," and it came up with a ton of results.

Just don't give up. Keep running and good luck.

Poop Man Bob - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Jul 18, 2003

Hey dog I'm in the army and I used to run from the cops and angry mobs and shit alot. You know you can run and you will plateau unless you keep maxing yourself out. I mean I thought I was in pretty good shape last year from running mi and mi in the army and I went for a swim.... wait no maybe this was 2 years ago.. anyways yeah I tried to swim across this lake and I almost fucking drowned! So yeah swimming is some damn good cardio. So the other day I'm doing suicides and I'm like hey I used to do these all the time piece of cake... I DIDN"T EVEN DO A QUARTER OF A SUICIDE! I even puked for the first time from exercise! Yeah so do alot of sprints. You got to raise your threshold.

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. yoink

yoink 12oz Elite Member

yoink - Replied Jul 18, 2003

I dont run nearly that much, maybe tops three miles, but I usually just go for about two miles, So your well on your way if you continue running, and thats great, I used to hate running with a passion but now I feel its a great release.
    I also usually run trails, not tracks, which I find funner, but whatever like PMB said search for info. oh and drink lots of water! ;)

yoink - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. ubejinxed

ubejinxed - Replied Jul 18, 2003

yah the sprinting thing kills me. at the end of the run i try to sprint the last 1/4 mile, it burns so badly.

PMB yah i have a girl i run with, but we're not so good at following schedules. so you ran a full marathon??? was it brutal? did u make it through? were you training with a group? did u ever run the full distance before the race, or just get close?

sorry for all the questions.

8. JimmieWalker

Villian....What exactly are suicides?

9. JimmieWalker

I was surprised how far you can really run if you pace yourself.

10. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Poop Man Bob - Replied Jul 18, 2003

Good. It's easier to run with another person than alone. I still recommend you try to stick to a schedule .. it'll make it much easier in the long run (harhar).

Yeah, I finished the full marathon. I wasn't too concerned about my time (a hair under 5 hours), I was simply concentrating on finishing. The race itself was pretty brutal, as I had trained in 35-40° weather most of the time, and it was upwards of 85° during the race. Ugh. But I finished, which was all I wanted to do.

I trained with a group every Saturday morning. That was when we had our long runs. During the week you ran on your own (or with whomever .. just not with the group). Our Saturday runs started at 5 am or so, depending on the distance. We had to finish before the Texas sun got too high in the sky and started kicking our asses. My longest long run before the marathon was about 25 miles, so I never did the complete distance prior to the actual race.

Again, I know it sucks being tied down to a training schedule, but I really recommend it. If you don't follow it to a t, at least use it as a foundation to build off of by using the long distance runs asa measure of your overall progress.

Poop Man Bob - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. crave

crave 12oz Veteran Member

crave - Replied Jul 18, 2003

what unit are you in??

crave - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  12. JimmieWalker

I used to run with other people to help keep me motivated but i allways had problems with them flakin out. I bought an MP3 player to listen to and it works better for me than any running partner.

13. villain

Suicides are usually done on a basketball court, you sprint from the outside of the court to the free throw line and back, to the half court and back, to the other free throw line and back, full court and back. Repeat as necessary.
    Crave: I just came back from Korea 6/37th FA BN I am currently a patient at Walter Reed in D.C. FYI.

14. crave

crave 12oz Veteran Member

crave - Replied Jul 18, 2003

i hate FA. i'm currently an augmentee on deployment but i'm in 3/321 FA out of bragg.

can't wait to hit the house...at the moment there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

crave - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. villain

Hey my brother is 82nd FA out of Ft. Bragg too! He's hooah and he hates that shit too. He said if he has to do another 4 years of that shit he's going to kill himself!:D
    Where you deployed at crave?