running - marathons - endurance training

ubejinxed

ok, 2nd thread of the day.

so i've decided to train for a half marathon in October, i'm up to like 5mi now and i know some of you said you did track or cross country in school, any tips or related experiences?

how about triathalons, or road races i know some of you are crazy bike types.

any stories or advice.

maybe this thread will flop, since ya'll are cubies like me or nerd machine lovers. maybe not.

running like a maniac!!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I ran a marathon in '99. The training for the January race started in August, as I was a first-time long distance runner, so it's good that you're starting now.

Search online, as there will be a good number of training schedules that you can follow depending on your speed (they usually measure it using your 3 mi./5k time). I'm sure you can find a free one that will provide a good amount of detail.

I just Googled "half-marathon training schedule," and it came up with a ton of results.

Just don't give up. Keep running and good luck.

Hey dog I'm in the army and I used to run from the cops and angry mobs and shit alot. You know you can run and you will plateau unless you keep maxing yourself out. I mean I thought I was in pretty good shape last year from running mi and mi in the army and I went for a swim.... wait no maybe this was 2 years ago.. anyways yeah I tried to swim across this lake and I almost fucking drowned! So yeah swimming is some damn good cardio. So the other day I'm doing suicides and I'm like hey I used to do these all the time piece of cake... I DIDN"T EVEN DO A QUARTER OF A SUICIDE! I even puked for the first time from exercise! Yeah so do alot of sprints. You got to raise your threshold.

I dont run nearly that much, maybe tops three miles, but I usually just go for about two miles, So your well on your way if you continue running, and thats great, I used to hate running with a passion but now I feel its a great release.

I also usually run trails, not tracks, which I find funner, but whatever like PMB said search for info. oh and drink lots of water! ;)

yah the sprinting thing kills me. at the end of the run i try to sprint the last 1/4 mile, it burns so badly.

PMB yah i have a girl i run with, but we're not so good at following schedules. so you ran a full marathon??? was it brutal? did u make it through? were you training with a group? did u ever run the full distance before the race, or just get close?

sorry for all the questions.

Originally posted by ubejinxed

PMB yah i have a girl i run with, but we're not so good at following schedules. so you ran a full marathon??? was it brutal? did u make it through? were you training with a group? did u ever run the full distance before the race, or just get close?

Good. It's easier to run with another person than alone. I still recommend you try to stick to a schedule .. it'll make it much easier in the long run (harhar).

Yeah, I finished the full marathon. I wasn't too concerned about my time (a hair under 5 hours), I was simply concentrating on finishing. The race itself was pretty brutal, as I had trained in 35-40° weather most of the time, and it was upwards of 85° during the race. Ugh. But I finished, which was all I wanted to do.

I trained with a group every Saturday morning. That was when we had our long runs. During the week you ran on your own (or with whomever .. just not with the group). Our Saturday runs started at 5 am or so, depending on the distance. We had to finish before the Texas sun got too high in the sky and started kicking our asses. My longest long run before the marathon was about 25 miles, so I never did the complete distance prior to the actual race.

Again, I know it sucks being tied down to a training schedule, but I really recommend it. If you don't follow it to a t, at least use it as a foundation to build off of by using the long distance runs asa measure of your overall progress.

Originally posted by JimmieWalker

Villian....What exactly are suicides?

Suicides are usually done on a basketball court, you sprint from the outside of the court to the free throw line and back, to the half court and back, to the other free throw line and back, full court and back. Repeat as necessary.

Crave: I just came back from Korea 6/37th FA BN I am currently a patient at Walter Reed in D.C. FYI.

82nd's barracks are right down the road from where i stay. i think the army is going to have some serious reenlistment issues. everyone i know is like fuck this shit.

i'm deployed to southwest asia at the moment. i'm lucky, i'm a computer tech so i stay on the comp.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Villian, crave -

What is the general mood where y'all are at re: the possiblity of year-long Iraq deployments, the war in general, etc.?

I'm just interested.

i'm about to get off shift so i'll have to elaborate on this more in depth later. but, as you could probably guess, the majority feel as though they've been forgotten about.

details later bro.

Ube...I don't really do a lot of running, but I do a LOT of cycling. If you want any info on supplements for helping with endurolyte replacement holler. I can get you 15% off, direct from the manufacturer. The stuff I'm taking for bike races is amazing. I'm sure it would work miracles for running as well. I'm only gonna be here for a few hours more...than I'm off to do a week long ride across one of our 50 states. Hopefully I'll be able to get pics. If so...a thread of debauchery awaits.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

You lucky bastard. Enjoy yourself..

you have no idea man. its like dpc adventures...only on bikes. there is so much alcohol and nudity on this thing its insane. I'm probably going to go out and buy a cheapy digital just to record the stupidity.

and oh yeah...thanks...I most certainly will.

its basically fuel (for your body). ie gatorade...only much, much, much better...without the sugar crash. it keeps you from bonking. water alone is not going to help.

benefits

· Superior support for the prevention of cramping, spasms, and other heat related issues

· Enhanced endurance from effective, complete, balanced electrolyte replenishment

I suppose you probably don't need it if this is a one time deal. If its something you're planning on doing on the regular...it would be highly beneficial.

i've started running latley, just a few miles 3 times a week. i have looked into signing up for some kind of race to have soemthing to work toward, seems like it would help alot. nothing too crazy, maybe a 10k. my sister did some triathalons and was trying to give me some advice on 'target heart rate', but that was when i was just thinking about running. i'll try to see what she was talking aboot and post it.. probably next week though.

i'm really not fan of running but it seems much more effective as a cardiovascular workout over a given time period, say 30 minutes, than biking, am i mislead in my thinking?

Guest TEARZ

nomad... pretty much yes...

steve, what supplements are you rocking? i pretty much just use the gu20 mix and cliff bars... old skool i guess, what's the new science?

villian and poop man bob both provide great advice...

i actually only run probably once per week, and for nomad, it's usually the time when i feel i need a cardio workout and don't have enough time to ride my bike. but i ride everyday, play hoops, tennis, and hike a lot. i have never ran a marathon, but i helped a friend train for one, and he's run 3 so far...

i can tell you from his experience and my own in training for big events (last fall i cycled 5 centuries- 100 miles+ in a day, 5 days in a row) that if you don't keep "upping the ante" like villain said, you won't get anywhere. your body is far stronger than you believe it to be (and your mind is even stronger), so you must "shock" it into getting stronger. it will hurt, but that's the only way to improve.

like PMB said, check something online for schedules, but i can bet that they'll be something like this for the first week:

M:3mi

T:3mi

W:5mi

Th:3 mi

F: 3mi

S: 7-8mi

Su: rest

just remember to keep "shocking" yourself and don't get complacent. and keep motherfuckers updated on the progress, aight?

I did cross country in high school last year. I was really out of shape when I started from smoking so much. But by 2 months I was able to run 10 miles. We would usually run distance on 3 or 4 days a week, and run hills one day and do sprints one day. I think our races were usually 4 or 5 miles.

i know its off topic but....pmb asked.

to elaborate on my earlier post...

most military personel that have been here for more than six months feel as though they've been forgotten. 3rd ID is getting fucked seriously. you see, in their case they were the tip of the spear for OIF. they were told that after they were done entering baghdad and securing the area they'd be some of the first folks home. but that didn't happen. once they were finished they got pulled out of that part of the country and put somewhere else, and then somewhere else. each time being told that after the current task is complete that they'd be going home. this is just an example of whats happening throughout this AOR. people are being told that they'll be leaving on or around a certain date, only to have their hopes crushed.

in my case, i'm an augmentee. which means that the unit that i'm over here with now is not actually my home unit. i'm basically being borrowed. i came over here on a 6 month TCS(temp change of station) order, my 6th month was last month. i don't know when i'll be going home, november hopefully. but there are a lot of people in the exact same situation that i'm in. there isn't a light at the end of this tunnel and morale is low, to say the least.

as far as iraq becoming a short tour (1yr), there are mixed feelings on this one. i have no doubt that iraq will become a short tour duty station, just like korea is now. if you ask me, it sucks. its an unaccompanied tour and units will probably just rotate through. its gotta be done at this point. i mean, what other choice have we left ourselves with?

hopefully, pmb, i've given you a little insight.

Archived