MURDER OF THE DAY

BOZACK

so new orleans averages about a murder a day.

here is where you may read about them.

these are from the past 2 or 3 days before we start fresh tomorrow! yay!

Man may have resisted robbery

Tuesday March 16, 2004

By Walt Philbin

Staff writer

When McKinley Coleman's wife of 36 years died 18 months ago, he was devastated, said his daughter Lana Coleman. But he rebounded and recently began dating.

Now family members are reeling again.

Coleman, 58, was killed outside the door of his girlfriend's home in the Iberville public housing complex Sunday shortly before 10 p.m., police said. They think he was killed when he resisted a robbery attempt by three teenagers.

He died of a gunshot wound of the chest.

A longtime resident of the Lower 9th Ward, Coleman was carrying more than $100 when the young thugs caught up to him on a stairwell as he climbed to his girlfriend's apartment, police said.

Witnesses told investigators they heard an argument, the sounds of a scuffle and then a single gunshot. Two community policing COPS officers in a nearby patrol car heard the gunshot and rushed to the scene, where they were flagged down by a neighbor and directed to the rear hallway of a building in the 300 block of Basin Street.

The money was still in his pocket, police homicide detective Gary Dupart said. Coleman was shot once in the chest and was pronounced dead on the scene, Dupart said.

Coleman's girlfriend was inside her apartment and heard the shot, but she didn't see who did it because they had already fled, police said. When she opened her door, she saw Coleman lying in the hall.

Officers said the youths may have been dealing heroin in the area and robbing people. So far, the suspects have not been identified.

To his daughter, Coleman was a hero, in part because he used his post-graduate degree in mathematics to teach for many years in the New Orleans public school system. She also admired him for his work with church groups and his fight against blighted housing.

"My father was an all-around man," she said. "He was active in civic affairs, spending a lot of time lobbying to get the law changed so that something could be done about blighted housing without having to wait forever."

Allen Stevens, a deacon at St. Philip the Apostle Church, said Coleman was active in church work there and at St. Peter Claver.

Coleman said her father was born and raised in New Orleans, where he attended George Washington Carver Senior High School. He received a bachelor's degree from Southern University at Baton Rouge and a master's degree in mathematics from Xavier University. He taught at his alma mater, Carver, as well as at Green Middle School, she said.

He retired in the mid-1990s to pursue carpentry, a weekend hobby. He also worked closely with the church group, All Congregations Together, Lana Coleman said.

. . . . . . .

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Police say they acted swiftly after shooting

Friday March 12, 2004

By Joan Treadway and Tara Young

Staff writers

Leaders of the Vietnamese-American community in the New Orleans area Thursday demanded upgraded help when they dial 911 and more police officers of Vietnamese heritage.

If those improvements had been in place, they said Mai Thi Nguyen, fatally shot Tuesday in a robbery at her grocery store on Loyola Street, "may have lived," said Quan Huynh, president of the Vietnamese American Community in Louisiana

The group is an umbrella organization that represents 26 smaller Vietnamese business, civic and religious groups.

Nguyen, 56, was co-owner of Kim's Supermarket with her husband, Vo Le, 63. Le, who was in their store when his wife was shot, was also on hand at Thursday's news conference led by Huynh, at a Vietnamese business group's eastern New Orleans office.

Meanwhile, relatives of one of the two young men booked with first-degree murder said the surveillance tape that led to Kenneth Gaines' arrest clearly shows he was not involved. Gaines, 21, was arrested, along with Palmer Jackson, 19, who police say admitted to the shooting. A third suspect has not been identified.

Jeannette Oliney, Gaines' mother, believes there's no way her son could have participated in the slaying.

"For one, the camera shows it clearly that he had nothing to do with it," Oliney said.

In a surveillance tape, Gaines is shown lifting up his hands and leaving the store when one of two masked suspects approached the counter and opened fire.

"He raised his hands up and backed up," Oliney said. "How can he be charged with first-degree murder? If a video camera can be used to prove guilt, why can't it be used to prove his innocence?"

The family spent much of Thursday posting fliers in the Central City neighborhood where the slaying occurred, asking anyone with information that may exonerate Gaines to come forward.

Le recounted what happened Tuesday in the store that he and his wife ran without problems for five years. He said he was back in the kitchen when he heard his wife screaming in the front of the store. He rushed over to find her bleeding "but still breathing."

Le said he immediately called 911, but because of his spotty English, it took three or four minutes to get his urgent plea for help across. The operator kept making him repeat his name and the store's address and he had to laboriously spell out Loyola, he said.

After that, it took another 20 to 25 minutes before the police or an ambulance arrived, Le said. Nguyen was finally taken to Charity Hospital, where she died an hour later, he said.

But Capt. Marlon Defillo, a spokesman for the New Orleans Police Department, disputed parts of that account. Defillo said the call came in at 12:06 p.m.; a police car was dispatched within 60 seconds and it reached the scene at 12:10 p.m.

"Minutes can seem like hours when a loved one has been injured," Defillo said. "We empathize with the family, but the response time was good."

As far as the requests from Vietnamese officials, Defillo said the New Orleans police force already includes three Vietnamese-American officers "and we would welcome more."

One of the officers works exclusively with the Vietnamese community, doing crime prevention training, translation for victims and also recruitment, which resulted in the other two Vietnamese officers, Defillo said.

Patrick Evans, a City Hall spokesman, said he had no information on the ambulance response time.

As to the delay that Le said he encountered while trying to communicate with the 911 operator, Evans said: "We are willing to working with any group to find solutions to public safety issues, like language barriers."

Meanwhile, Cindy Nguyen, vice president of the Vietnamese American Community group, said the organization will try to train its members who are business people to clearly give their names and their stores' addresses to 911 operators.

Huynh said that about 1,000 people of Vietnamese background own small groceries around the New Orleans area and that they are often the target of robbers, simply because they deal with cash.

There will be one less soon, Le said. After his wife's funeral service today , he will close their store and leave for Wheaton, Ill., a small city near Chicago where his mother-in-law lives.

None of the children -- in college at Xavier, Louisiana State University and Baylor University in Waco, Texas -- want to end up in New Orleans, because of its heavy crime, said Le, a former South Vietnamese army major.

He and his wife both considered their customers "family" and would give $2 to neighborhood children who brought in report cards with all A's, and $1 for B's.

Notes of appreciation from grateful customers were found posted around the entrance to the grocery Thursday. One, signed by Frank Spears, said, "You will be sadly missed, but God will take care of you. May God bless your family."

. . . . . . .

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

lesson of the day for tomorrow: don't go to new orleans.

<span style='color:black'>this coupled with "dont resist 3 heroin dealers" is probably all the advice we need. that and "dont starve your quadrapalegic brother then try to claim the money" </span>

Originally posted by BOZACK

The money was still in his pocket, police homicide detective Gary Dupart said. Coleman was shot once in the chest and was pronounced dead on the scene, Dupart said.

To his daughter, Coleman was a hero...She also admired him for....his fight against blighted housing.

pretty obvious someone put a hit out on this guy. stupid fucking cops.

Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

Originally posted by iquit

pretty obvious someone put a hit out on this guy. stupid fucking cops.

you serious? 3 guys in that close of a vacinity to his place of residence, or his girls that is. Now, i know they got away, but the risk is way to large for that, it probably was some heroin dealers...

Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

Originally posted by onesecondple

you serious? 3 guys in that close of a vacinity to his place of residence, or his girls that is. Now, i know they got away, but the risk is way to large for that, it probably was some heroin dealers...

yeah, it was heroin dealers who got paid to kill someone. at least that's how it looks to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

yeah, it was heroin dealers who got paid to kill someone. at least that's how it looks to me.

i mean, it just dosent make sense, i know that heroin pushers are idiots and will do whatever, but its way to ellogical for them to do it right there in the place they did for it to be a hit...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

i mean, it just dosent make sense, i know that heroin pushers are idiots and will do whatever, but its way to ellogical for them to do it right there in the place they did for it to be a hit...

???

it makes perfect sense. if you want to kill someone you stake out the place you know they are going to be. information that the dealers would've been given by the people who wanted the guy dead.

they didn't take his wallet, because they already got paid a shitload.

one shot, right to the chest. sounds like a good clean hit to me.

the guy was fighting against housing laws. he pissed off some people who were making money off of the slums.

don't you watch the sopranos???:lol:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

???

it makes perfect sense. if you want to kill someone you stake out the place you know they are going to be. information that the dealers would've been given by the people who wanted the guy dead.

they didn't take his wallet, because they already got paid a shitload.

one shot, right to the chest. sounds like a good clean hit to me.

the guy was fighting against housing laws. he pissed off some people who were making money off of the slums.

don't you watch the sopranos???:lol:

nah, i dont watch the sopranos.

I mean, i guess it makes sense, the risk is just way to high for me to comprehend, i mean, you know he will be at work, you could tail him, just right there seems to risky. Now, i dont, nor have ever been in this crazy of a situation, but i would never do that in that risky of a sitation...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

nah, i dont watch the sopranos.

I mean, i guess it makes sense, the risk is just way to high for me to comprehend, i mean, you know he will be at work, you could tail him, just right there seems to risky. Now, i dont, nor have ever been in this crazy of a situation, but i would never do that in that risky of a sitation...

tail him to where? where would be a better time or place? man, it's as if you've never comitted pre-meditated murder before or somethin!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MURDER OF THE DAY

tail him to where? where would be a better time or place? man, it's as if you've never comitted pre-meditated murder before or somethin!

haha, iquit=baller like whoa....i give up, they were hired

Outside a little bar down here last week (butlers) a kid gets shot in the street, and the police show up in couple minutes. No ambulance is called, even though there is a little health clinic 2 blocks away, and this kid bleeds out on the street. A neighbor had to drive thru the tape and put the kid in her car. All this some 3 weeks after a girl from the same neighborhood caught a stray during a mardi gras parade. The offical report by police says that an officer deemed the victims wounds mortal, and therfor no ambulance was needed.

The bar was closed and put up for sale, and yesterday some fat beaurocrat says it was due to his new program to curb "unwanted" business in uptown. I love this city but so many fucked up things happen.

Originally posted by SWIMS

Outside a little bar down here last week (butlers) a kid gets shot in the street, and the police show up in couple minutes. No ambulance is called, even though there is a little health clinic 2 blocks away, and this kid bleeds out on the street. A neighbor had to drive thru the tape and put the kid in her car. All this some 3 weeks after a girl from the same neighborhood caught a stray during a mardi gras parade. The offical report by police says that an officer deemed the victims wounds mortal, and therfor no ambulance was needed.

The bar was closed and put up for sale, and yesterday some fat beaurocrat says it was due to his new program to curb "unwanted" business in uptown. I love this city but so many fucked up things happen.

that's fucked. cops are supposed to call for an ambulance even if the victims are dead, just to be sure. let me guess, white cop black kid?

Say iquit, don't you think that it was a simple robbery, maybe the guy tried to be a hero (he has done some heroic things in his life), they didn't expect him to resist and scuffle ensues, some kid caps him and they are all like "Oh shit, let's get the fuck outta here!". I think this scenario is actually more common than the more interesting tale of conspiracy and slumlords and hitmen that you wove.

more common but less interesting. and why would they hit him there? it seems like way too many people coulda seen them. if they wanted to whack him, just shoot him when he was getting outta his car. why wait till he gets to the appt building and into the hall to bust a cap? they were amatures its obvious. :dazed:

Originally posted by villain

Say iquit, don't you think that it was a simple robbery, maybe the guy tried to be a hero (he has done some heroic things in his life), they didn't expect him to resist and scuffle ensues, some kid caps him and they are all like "Oh shit, let's get the fuck outta here!". I think this scenario is actually more common than the more interesting tale of conspiracy and slumlords and hitmen that you wove.

yeah, maybe i been watching too much sopranos. :shrug:

MAN i wish i was friends with hoodrats who got in knife fights when I was 14.

Woman strikes deal in teen's fatal stabbing

March 17, 2004

By Gwen Filosa

Staff writer

A New Orleans woman pleaded guilty to manslaughter Monday for supplying the knife used by a 14-year-old girl to kill a teenager in Algiers last summer, but under the deal struck with prosecutors, she will not spend more than five years in prison, her attorney said.

Ida Barrow, 25, admitted her role in the fatal stabbing of Jasmine Jackson, 16, after prosecutors agreed to lower the charge from murder to manslaughter.

Manslaughter carries up to 40 years in prison, but the deal includes a five-year cap on the sentence, said Barrow's attorney, Frank Larre.

Barrow originally was charged with being a principal to second-degree murder, which carries an automatic life sentence upon conviction. She also pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated battery, for the knife wounds that two other girls sustained during the fight.

Prosecutors said Barrow handed a kitchen knife to Krishawna Miller, 14, who was convicted of STABBING JACKSON IN THE CHEST (the bitch was 14!) during a fight after a block party July 6. The knife was never recovered.

Barrow will be sentenced in May, after probation officers complete a review of her background. Larre said his client has three children, has held a steady job for eight years and has no criminal record, other than a single juvenile arrest.

Prosecutors said they did not recommend a sentence for Barrow and that no sentence is certain until the judge hands it down.

District Attorney Eddie Jordan said it was imperative for Barrow to take responsibility "as an adult contributing to the murder of a teenager," and that the plea secures a felony conviction.

"I hope this sends a message to our adult community that we will not tolerate this type of irresponsibility with our children," Jordan said.

Larre said his client maintains she didn't supply the murder weapon, but she took the deal because she "couldn't handle a life sentence."

The plea ends the criminal cases that followed Jackson's murder. In September, Miller was convicted of second-degree murder in juvenile court for stabbing Jackson, and Troynika Douglas pleaded no contest to simple battery. Both girls were 14 at the time of the killing.

Miller was sentenced to "juvenile life," meaning she may be held until she turns 21. Douglas received time served.

. . . . . . .

Originally posted by SWIMS

ha. butlers is "the jam."

Archived