1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Koyaanisqatsi

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_El Mamerro, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Koyaanisqatsi

Discussion started by imported_El Mamerro - Feb 17, 2003

I'd been putting off watching this film for a while, which makes me very stupid. Fucking incredible stuff. Anyone else seen it?

2. imported_Tesseract - Replied Feb 17, 2003

i cant afford to get more stupid than i already am,
    get on aim though, i need some help

3. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

uncle-boy - Replied Feb 17, 2003

whats it about??

i've been wanting to see that movie "battle royale" i heard its crazy.

4. test pattern

test pattern 12oz Elite Member

test pattern - Replied Feb 17, 2003

havent seen or heard of it

what is it?

test pattern - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Feb 17, 2003

dood, i've put it off forever too...partly cuz of philip glass.
    maybe i'll rent it tonight..

6. Al Green

Al Green 12oz Veteran Member

Al Green - Replied Feb 17, 2003

dood.. youre horrible at calling..

_and who would watch a movie with a chinky rice title like that.?

Al Green - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  7. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Feb 17, 2003

Word Browner, as I watched I thought that you'd enjoy the crap out of the visuals (good explosion/demolition footage reminiscent of your BANG BANG thread), but wouldn't be too thrilled about the music... some of it is quite awesome (opening/closing song), but a lot of it was rather unimaginative. The ambiance definitely fit the movie for the most part though. So I watched it twice... once with the original score, and another while listening to a Tetsu Inoue/BofC/Arovane playlist on my headphones. Good stuff both ways, its as if youre watching two different stories.

And for those who don't know what it is, it's a film about... nothing really, it doesn't have characters, story, or dialogue... it's just a montage of intensely ill visuals with an early 80's ambient score, meant to portray what the title means: Life Out of Balance. It's from 1983, but a LOT of the camera techniques, ideas, and overall style used in there are actually being copied a lot in today's stuff. Definitely worth a watch with a good TV and stereo, and chocolate milk if possible. Oh yeah, and the last shot of the movie absolutely kills it... it made my hairs stand on end. Beer,

El Mamerro

8. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Feb 17, 2003

Im horrible at calling because Guillermopants is great at erasing messages and saying "Oh, hey so and so called", but not remembering the number. Gimme a hollar today, I dont think Im leaving with all this fucking mess outside. Beer,

El Mamerro

9. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

haha, nice..i think i will definitely check that soon, i'm all over the detonation imagery
    right now. instead of a phil glass soundtrack, i'll go with a steve reich
    piece i think. much doper on the minimalism front.

10. destroya

destroya 12oz Senior Member

destroya - Replied Feb 17, 2003

me too, but it's like 700 mb, so i've been putting off downloading it.

destroya - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. DISCO BRYSO

DISCO BRYSO 12oz Senior Member

DISCO BRYSO - Replied Feb 17, 2003

I really enjoyed this one.. powasqatsi or whatever it was, the second one I think, kinda sucked.. it's a nice concept overall, but I think there are ways of doing it even better. something that tries to make this broad, over-arching point about civilization, our planet, etc., but also holds the viewer captive for more than just a few seconds.

in the same vein there is always Baraka which I've been meaning to revisit as of late. or not in the same vein, but one of the best fucking movies ever made is Microcosmos. get that shit ASAP.

also, this seems to be the general group I was going to recommend this too, you guys would all enjoy any films from the Brothers Quay.. I don't know how I put them off for so long, absolutely incredible. all the sets are handmade and all the action is done in stop-animation which makes for some very meticulous work. every shot looks like it could be an installation on its own. I meant to recommend it to you personally al so you should definitely get your hands on some ish, I've got a tape of short films I'm willing to dub.

check it out, ya dig?

DISCO BRYSO - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. DISCO BRYSO

I just did a search, here on 12 oz., for "brothers quay" and realized this is all old news..
    BROWNer. I have that video of short films. I will make you a copy because I like you. hit up my e-mail: storyfone@hotmail.com.

there is also a feature-length film called Institute Benjamenta which is amazing. I am glad this board discusses such a wide range of topics.
    toodles.

13. sneak

sneak Guest

sneak - Replied Feb 17, 2003

perhaps if i could pronounce the name of the film, i mcould then consider watching it :eek:

14. DISCO BRYSO

step one: pretend as if you are about to sneeze.

step two: say, "coy-anna's-cot-sea" as you are expelling the imaginzry sneeze.

step three: spit furiously on anyone within range and excuse yourself.

repeat if desired.

15. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

baraka was pretty good, i've seen it a couple times now.
    i thought it was dope until the nazi stuff, which ruined it for me.
    microcosmos is wicked...i saw that at the theater, definitely
    an amazing movie.

on topic of dope storyless visual type movies, one of the dopest
    movies i've ever seen is a movie called Picture of Light..awesome
    soundtrack too.

disco, check your mail.