Koyaanisqatsi

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'd been putting off watching this film for a while, which makes me very stupid. Fucking incredible stuff. Anyone else seen it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Word Browner, as I watched I thought that you'd enjoy the crap out of the visuals (good explosion/demolition footage reminiscent of your BANG BANG thread), but wouldn't be too thrilled about the music... some of it is quite awesome (opening/closing song), but a lot of it was rather unimaginative. The ambiance definitely fit the movie for the most part though. So I watched it twice... once with the original score, and another while listening to a Tetsu Inoue/BofC/Arovane playlist on my headphones. Good stuff both ways, its as if youre watching two different stories.

And for those who don't know what it is, it's a film about... nothing really, it doesn't have characters, story, or dialogue... it's just a montage of intensely ill visuals with an early 80's ambient score, meant to portray what the title means: Life Out of Balance. It's from 1983, but a LOT of the camera techniques, ideas, and overall style used in there are actually being copied a lot in today's stuff. Definitely worth a watch with a good TV and stereo, and chocolate milk if possible. Oh yeah, and the last shot of the movie absolutely kills it... it made my hairs stand on end. Beer,

El Mamerro

Originally posted by Al Green

dood.. youre horrible at calling..

_and who would watch a movie with a chinky rice title like that.?

Im horrible at calling because Guillermopants is great at erasing messages and saying "Oh, hey so and so called", but not remembering the number. Gimme a hollar today, I dont think Im leaving with all this fucking mess outside. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest BROWNer

haha, nice..i think i will definitely check that soon, i'm all over the detonation imagery

right now. instead of a phil glass soundtrack, i'll go with a steve reich

piece i think. much doper on the minimalism front.

I really enjoyed this one.. powasqatsi or whatever it was, the second one I think, kinda sucked.. it's a nice concept overall, but I think there are ways of doing it even better. something that tries to make this broad, over-arching point about civilization, our planet, etc., but also holds the viewer captive for more than just a few seconds.

in the same vein there is always Baraka which I've been meaning to revisit as of late. or not in the same vein, but one of the best fucking movies ever made is Microcosmos. get that shit ASAP.

also, this seems to be the general group I was going to recommend this too, you guys would all enjoy any films from the Brothers Quay.. I don't know how I put them off for so long, absolutely incredible. all the sets are handmade and all the action is done in stop-animation which makes for some very meticulous work. every shot looks like it could be an installation on its own. I meant to recommend it to you personally al so you should definitely get your hands on some ish, I've got a tape of short films I'm willing to dub.

check it out, ya dig?

I just did a search, here on 12 oz., for "brothers quay" and realized this is all old news..

BROWNer. I have that video of short films. I will make you a copy because I like you. hit up my e-mail: storyfone@hotmail.com.

there is also a feature-length film called Institute Benjamenta which is amazing. I am glad this board discusses such a wide range of topics.

toodles.

Guest BROWNer

baraka was pretty good, i've seen it a couple times now.

i thought it was dope until the nazi stuff, which ruined it for me.

microcosmos is wicked...i saw that at the theater, definitely

an amazing movie.

on topic of dope storyless visual type movies, one of the dopest

movies i've ever seen is a movie called Picture of Light..awesome

soundtrack too.

disco, check your mail.

Three, as a matter of fact... this one, Powaqqatsi (Life in Transformation), and Naqoyqatsi (Life as War). This last one came out in 2002, and is very different from the other two in that it has a lot of digital collage-type stuff in it...

Im gonna cop Powaqqatsi sometime this week... the previews don't seem to engage me as much, but I'm sure it is equally amazing. And the last one, Naqoyqatsi, just looks damn nuts, don't know what to make of it, but I'm also sure it'll be good stuff. Beer,

El Mamerro

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org

Archived