Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Graffiti Foundation

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Another Creation, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Another Creation

Another Creation New Jack

Down to the core are there only two types of writers in essence besides straight up taggers (handstyles)?
    What I mean is that is a writer either more dominate in "Throw Ups" or in Fill-Ins?
    Sure people can do both styles but once they get to doing murals, pieces, Wildstyle, BlockBusters, Burners, Skyscrapers, Hangovers, etc. their art style is reflected by their comfortability in Filling In or doing it like a Throwie. What I am saying is some prefer to do letters first and then fill them in (Fill-In) while others do the background and color first and then create the border/outline (Throw Ups).

How do you feel about this?
    Should one focus on both or is Throwin' where its at?

For me I started with Paper (doing all styles) then moved on to Tagging (Handstyles) on the streets.
    After that I started doing Fill in Bombs (Bubble Letters).
    And then started doing more detailed Fill-Ins with Characters.
    I then moved on to Throw Ups and Stencils. But as I progress as a Writer I am realizing that my throwing needs to be developed more. I feel it will improve my Pieces in the long run so I am now going back to doing throws again.

What do you think?
    Are there two fundamental (Foundation) Styles: Throw Ups and Fill-Ins?
    Is Throwin' more important to develop in the long run in regards to obtaining faster and more elaborate Pieces and Wild Style on the streets where it counts?

2. scv

scv New Jack

3. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

4. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

I think you're throwing around a lot of terms here. Could have been explained/asked more simply. In the end it really doesn't matter how you paint as long as it looks nice when done. I don't know if there are any videos of Totem painting but I recall him dropping the outlines of everything and then filling it all in, characters included, with no need to re-outline. Was quick, clean, and impressive.

5. you can microwave bacon

you can microwave bacon Member

the majority of the time people are doing their fill first. regardless of what style it is

6. El Jefe Uno

El Jefe Uno Dirty Dozen Crew

I really appreciate the breakdown here.

7. Maskface

Maskface Member