Digital SLR Cameras

El Jefe Uno

so ive really gotten into B&W 35mm photography.. i have an old Canon SLR camera, and am looking to upgrade to a digital one haha.. i should have some extra money from work soon and i want to get a Digital SLR Camera.. ive looked at Canon, Nikon, etc etc, but i can't decide.. my price range will still be limited, something under $500.. if anyone has any info, or even just a link to a site with comparisons and reviews ide appreciate it

if anyones got any certain model or brand theyd reccommend ide appreciate the feedback

thanks for checkin

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by RiSC@Apr 27 2005, 01:05 AM

so ive really gotten into B&W 35mm photography.. i have an old Canon SLR camera, and am looking to upgrade to a digital one haha.. i should have some extra money from work soon and i want to get a Digital SLR Camera.. ive looked at Canon, Nikon, etc etc, but i can't decide.. my price range will still be limited, something under $500.. if anyone has any info, or even just a link to a site with comparisons and reviews ide appreciate it

if anyones got any certain model or brand theyd reccommend ide appreciate the feedback

thanks for checkin

i'd check around on ebay and B&H's used stuff, new SLRs are well above $500, for a body alone... and a Nikon SLR is out of the question on your budget, used or not.

but an inexpensive and surprisingly nice SLR is that Olympus E-10.

the only thing that sucks is that you can't swap lenses... as in the lens is permanently mounted. which really sucks. i saw some used on B&H a little while back, around $350.

the eos20 and nikon d70 are the DSLRs closest to your pricerange. they both run about 800 for the body, and if you want to get it with the kit lens roughly 1100? i have the d70 and it treats me incredibly well.

if you have 500 dollars in the bank, i would seriously recommend saving it up for a real dslrs instead of glorified point and shoots.

ken rockwell explains this very well.

this is for when you make the decision between the d70 and the eos20d

I'm shooting for one too, sometime within the next 6 months if Sigma doesn't come out with anything. I'll probably keep the SD9 but I need something with low light performance that doesn't blow ass for the indoor shots which people are requesting I take more and more lately.

Save up like, 400 more dollars and get a Digi Rebel XT. Probably the most bang for your buck. You can probably find the original Rebel for aroud 600 or so..

Read fredmiranda.com. Lots of good info.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to get for the past few weeks. It was between the D70, 20D and 350D. I chose the 350D... so, I guess I'll see how well it works out when I get it on Sunday..

I just picked up the xt kit today....I'm fucking speechless. shit is super hot. I'm gonna go out later tonight and try some night shots...cant wait. I can't afford film anymore so its put a crimp in the amount of shooting I do. no more....

i'll back up everyone on the D70. i've been using nikon digitals at work since the D1 came out (we're running D2h's now) and the D70 is the most versatile for around a grand. its still small enough (depending on your other equipment) to carry around and you can shoot just about everything on it with precise control.

i have recently been shopping around for a digital for myself and am in the same boat. although i'd love to have a d2h, i don't have 5 grand... so i'll probably end up gettina d70 or an 20d as i've been hearing great things about the canon from my friends that tend to shoot primarily on expensive shit like leica and hasselblad...

sportsshooter.com is a huge site for photojournalists. since they tend to upgrade regularly, the classifieds section is a good place to find cheap newer gear.