1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Anybody here play the Banjo?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KaBar2, Sep 7, 2003.

1. KaBar2

KaBar2 12oz Senior Member

Anybody here play the Banjo?

Discussion started by KaBar2 - Sep 7, 2003

I bought a used cheap-ass banjo. It's a no-name beater that looks a lot like an old Harmony banjo. It has a bakelite rim and resonator, and no tone ring. Cheap. I'm trying to learn how to play it, but learning to pick a banjo is very difficult.

I want a better banjo now. I've been looking for one on eBay and through the zillion-and-one musical instruments-for-sale websites. Can anybody make any reccommendations for an good quality, low cost banjo? I already know about the Deering Goodtime and Goodtime II. How about a Johnson banjo? Or Gold Tone? Any good?

KaBar2 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. ClueTwo

ClueTwo 12oz Veteran Member

ClueTwo - Replied Sep 7, 2003

Hmmmm, intersting...What got into the Banjo in the first place?

ClueTwo - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

Intangible - Replied Sep 7, 2003

i wish I did...or I wish I knew someone that did...haha good times.

Intangible - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages:
  4. $360

$360 12oz Elite Member

$360 - Replied Sep 7, 2003

banjos are awesome. i just sold mine. i inhereted it after my uncle died. i always indended on picking it up one day but never did. i figured hes rather someone had it who would use it, so i sold it to my film teacher.

let me know how it works out for you or youre methods of leaning. im sure hes be interested to know.

$360 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Sep 7, 2003

A friend of mine plays banjo. I swear he is one of the best guitar/banjo/whatever players in the world. I haven't talked to him since I was in michigan though. Sorry.

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Sep 7, 2003

no, but i would like to learn to play bass

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  7. $360

$360 12oz Elite Member

$360 - Replied Sep 7, 2003

good choice. bands are ALWAYS looking for bassists. i dont really know why this is, but the greatest decision ive ever made was to borrow my cousins bass and never give it back. now im know for playing bass so when people need one they know who to call.

$360 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. Evil Dee

Evil Dee 12oz Senior Member

Evil Dee - Replied Sep 7, 2003

I watched Trapper playing a banjo on an episode of MASH the other day and i decided i wanted to learn how to play. Wonder if i'll ever go through with it?

Evil Dee - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. ClueTwo

ClueTwo 12oz Veteran Member

ClueTwo - Replied Sep 7, 2003

Who would of thought the Banjo was in the hearts and minds of so many people??? :confused:

ClueTwo - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Sep 7, 2003

yeah, i got the idea after watching sid vicious slapping his bass after he killed his girlfreind in Sid and Nancy, and i love the bassline in god save the queen, it reminds me of the good times i had during the period after i got that cd, fuck im getting all nostalgic now

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  11. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

willy.wonka - Replied Sep 7, 2003

my great grandfather was a banjo legend..i dont know his name though..gota ask my moms. he used to break in wild horses adn lost some fingers...somehow, he became a legend and said, "them nigga boys taught me how to play".he wasnt a racist or anyhting, but thats how it used to be back then i guess.he used ot travel all around the south fighting chickens

12. kido

kido 12oz Senior Member

kido - Replied Sep 8, 2003

I can play a little bit. Mediocre at best. Yes, the picking can be kind of difficult. If you can play classical guitar its not as hard. I dont own one but play one whenever I get the chance.

kido - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. KaBar2

KaBar2 - Replied Sep 8, 2003

I've spent several hours researching it

And I'm getting more familiar with the various brands, where they stand in the ratings, how much they cost, etc. A serious banjo costs around $2,500, similar to a really first-class guitar (like a Martin, etc.) Seems to me that the top-rated banjos are custom made by a handfull of independent banjo makers, and are generally inlaid, made of rare wood, and have gold-plated hardware. I'm not into that. I don't care if Earl Scruggs did own one, that's too much money for a banjo.

I really like the older instruments that are being resurrected. There are a lot of banjo collectors out there, and even the older dirt-simple instruments are going for serious money if they are playable. Some of the picker-collectors have their collections illustrated on the net. Lots and lots of banjos from the turn of the century up through the 1920's (this was the early Jazz Age, when banjo playing was at it's zenith.) I saw a couple from 1910 that I would have loved to own.

Gibson, Deering, Fender, Gold Tone, Ibanez, Vega, Vega-Deering, Blueridge, Crafters of Tennesee, Johnson, Morgan Monroe, Stelling, Wildwood, Saga, Hohner, Imperial and a bunch of others I can't remember.

The best quality, low-cost banjos seem to be the Deering Goodtimes and Goodtimes II, Vega Little Wonder, Johnson, and Gold Tone.

14. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Sep 8, 2003

I just kind of drifted away from it when I sold my overalls...

but Deering is maybe the biggest banjo manufacturer, their models run the gamut from 'cheap but decent' to 'made from the jawbone of Lester Scruggs'... Fender has recently introduced a couple cheaper ($400ish) models...

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  15. KaBar2

KaBar2 - Replied Sep 8, 2003

Funny you should mention overalls

I love 'em, and I've been wearing them off and on since the late 1960's. The best brand I ever found is called "Liberty" brand overalls. They are easily available up north, and I heard they are actually made in Alabama. They are the only make of overalls I've ever seen with a zipper pocket on the bib (it's a distinctive green color.) Iowa Blackie turned me on to them. He uses them because he keeps his notebook in the overalls bib, and he's worried about losing or misplacing it when he's hopping.