Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kults

Max Headroom Hack

Recommended Posts

So its been a little slow in terms of engagement here but Ill post up another one in case anyone's into this stuff. The Max Headroom event is an unsolved hack that happened over Chicago airwaves in the late 80s towards the end of the BBS/Dial Up early hacking era. Couple guys (assume it was more than one) hijacked a a Chicago local networks airwaves, first with no audio for a few moments before the station regained control then later on the same night this time with sound for a much longer period of time as well as being more offensive (for 1987).

 

They could still be charged today if unmasked as there isn't a statute of limitations on this stuff, it's a federal crime. I'll post up the actual broadcast as well as a good primer video for those who want to dig a little deeper. Reddit uncovered two brothers that could have possibly been the culprits but it's still very much still in the air.

 

The actual broadcast

 

 

 

Here's the primer

 

 

 

 

Here's a Reddit thread that unmasked the two dudes..only for OP to take it back after. Maybe he spoke to the guys and they told him to shut it all down? Who knows. Some broadcast specialists have theorized that it had to be an inside job OR really large equipment had to be used and had to be really close by to the transmitter at the top of the Sears Tower.. like maybe in a van?

 

 

Here's a local report on it back in 87

 

 

I find it all fascinating. How they did it but more importantly why, maybe just cause they could? It seems like a really elaborate prank but holy fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've always been super interested in this, but i thought it was on more than one network

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TreSixO said:

I've always been super interested in this, but i thought it was on more than one network

I think it was the same one but later on that night? Was it two different networks? That’s even more fucked up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting read

Surprised we don't see more broadcast hacking these days, there must be massive safe guards in place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, aimer said:

Really interesting read

Surprised we don't see more broadcast hacking these days, there must be massive safe guards in place

I’m sure. I have no idea how it works but I think you’re probably right. Even back then it seemed next to impossible to do without getting caught, that’s what makes this one such an anomaly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 9:42 PM, aimer said:

Really interesting read

Surprised we don't see more broadcast hacking these days, there must be massive safe guards in place

You're correct. These events are known as Broadcast signal intrusions , and are more commonly found in radio broadcasts, as all you really need is an FM transmitter that can overpower the frequency that the radio station is being broadcast on. Interrupting a cable feed is harder, as it seems to require much more direct interference in the signal path. Since broadcast signal intrusions are fascinating in general, another mystery worth looking into is the Southern Television broadcast interruption. Some creepy shit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, Brink said:

You're correct. These events are known as Broadcast signal intrusions , and are more commonly found in radio broadcasts, as all you really need is an FM transmitter that can overpower the frequency that the radio station is being broadcast on. Interrupting a cable feed is harder, as it seems to require much more direct interference in the signal path. Since broadcast signal intrusions are fascinating in general, another mystery worth looking into is the Southern Television broadcast interruption. Some creepy shit

Hadn't heard of that one. Thanks for the rec will def look it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...