Mercedes suing four artist for their murals appearing in Mercedes instagram posts

CILONE/SK

6 hours ago, CILONE/SK said:

I also find it ironic that someone who supports libertarian ideals,  supports a company that is trying to take peoples art and not pay them for it.

No art was taken. At most, you can view some of it in the background, but it isn't the focal point in any of the images shown in this thread. 

If anyone considers that to be stolen, then I suppose that it would require them to think that the intellectual property or brand equities of Coney Island Restaurant and whatever Central Market that also appear in these photos was as well. Likewise, there's clearly a Jeep Cherokee in the last image. That stylistic font in the banner hanging on the lamp post is no doubt licensed by whoever made the banner, which doesn't cover Mercedes usage of it, so they'd be due something as well under this line of thinking. In fact, maybe the foundry that cast those lamp posts... This is the rabbit hole you have to crawl down if you think the people that painted the mural in the background are due compensation. 

• Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Wait, I thought the title was a typo and the artists were suing Mercedes Benz, that would suck to be sued in retaliation. I'll have to read up on this but that's a bad move IMO on Benz's part. Unless it's just a tactic to encourage settlement, t's a waste of legal fees, and a good way to create tons of Benz haters considering all of all of those artists fans, and street art supporters in general. Wonder how this will play out considering their marketing department probably spend millions trying to rebuild their tarnished, somewhat meh reputation with millennials.

Edited by Mercer

50 minutes ago, misteraven said:

No art was taken. At most, you can view some of it in the background, but it isn't the focal point in any of the images shown in this thread. 

If anyone considers that to be stolen, then I suppose that it would require them to think that the intellectual property or brand equities of Coney Island Restaurant and whatever Central Market that also appear in these photos was as well. Likewise, there's clearly a Jeep Cherokee in the last image. That stylistic font in the banner hanging on the lamp post is no doubt licensed by whoever made the banner, which doesn't cover Mercedes usage of it, so they'd be due something as well under this line of thinking. In fact, maybe the foundry that cast those lamp posts... This is the rabbit hole you have to crawl down if you think the people that painted the mural in the background are due compensation. 

There is an architect act that allows most permanent things you mentioned to be used, but it doesn’t cover the mural.  Mercedes is saying it does because it is permanent.    Mercedes is saying anything in public can be used by them and whoever, just because it is in the public.  This would trump copyright and other traditional protects. 

Also, as for the appeal thing.  Mercedes = money, muralists = no money.  Mercedes can litigate them into the poor house literally.   Appeals cost money.   

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Wait, I thought the title was a typo and the artists were suing Mercedes Benz, that would suck to be sued in retaliation. I'll have to read up on this but that's a bad move IMO on Benz's part. Unless it's just a tactic to encourage settlement, t's a waste of legal fees, and a good way to create tons of Benz haters considering all of all of those artists fans, and street art supporters in general. Wonder how this will play out considering their marketing department probably spend millions trying to rebuild their tarnished, somewhat meh reputation with millennials.

As I understand it, the artists reached out to Mercedes to discuss compensation. Mercedes then jumped to the chase and decided to litigate, presumably because they saw that coming anyways. Not fact, but what I gathered from the bits I read and the understanding that I've been basing my comments from.