THE VAULT

One Man Banned

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 year later...

damn you have some vintage catches in here!

awesome to see.

I recall when I first started in 12oz I used to spend huge amounts of time trying to look at all the freight threads but I soon discovered it's far too monumental a task.

those little NACE joints on page 16 I think are so good. That guy always did really nice straight letters

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

6 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

spotted in nwpa sometime within the past few years or so.

DSC06451.JPG.e672a563235ddf83a3292f122ef78795.jpg

That car was a great find at the time and I've been surprised to see it still pop up now and again. 

Glad you guys enjoyed, always cool to see people take the time to go through the flix, will have to update this thread again in the near future.  

• Like 4

Hey @One Man Banned

has the freight scene in America kind of reached critical mass?

In 2007 I drove from LA to vancouver via Vegas, Sacramento and seattle. I spent every second looking for freights if there were train tracks about but most of the time if I saw fright cars they were clean.

Then in 2009 I visited SF, Reno and took trains from NYC- Boston and then montreal back to NYC. however even then when I saw freights I was still looking for the piece every few cars which was a big surprise for me.

12 oz obviously had me imagining each car was painted which was obviously pretty wrong.

Has it now reached a saturation point where most cars are now painted? I understand lots of lines no longer run box cars??

just curious

6 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Hey @One Man Banned

has the freight scene in America kind of reached critical mass?

In 2007 I drove from LA to vancouver via Vegas, Sacramento and seattle. I spent every second looking for freights if there were train tracks about but most of the time if I saw fright cars they were clean.

Then in 2009 I visited SF, Reno and took trains from NYC- Boston and then montreal back to NYC. however even then when I saw freights I was still looking for the piece every few cars which was a big surprise for me.

12 oz obviously had me imagining each car was painted which was obviously pretty wrong.

Has it now reached a saturation point where most cars are now painted? I understand lots of lines no longer run box cars??

Depends where you're looking.  After the fr8 graf book more people took on fr8s and they got pretty grilled.  Right now I feel like there are plenty of old heads still going or mounting occasional returns, mixed w/ new peeps generating a lot of poop graf.  Monikers also have taken on a life of their own so you see more of that now too (and not necessarily good).  As for freights themselves IDK.... I've been seeing a lot of new cars introduced across time as older cars hit retirement, making many new, clean panels.  I'm also surprised to still see some classic box cars turn up with empty panels or the whole side free of pieces.  There are some freights that see less graf because of where they're used or what they're used for.  This has changed a bit across time as people follow the lead of others trying to get one of every car or things that only see a certain region.  There are a lot of clean tank cars, people don't like to paint them as much and some get stored in secure areas.  Boxcars still run all over the lines but car counts get affected by shit like decreased business during coronavirus or seasonal trends.

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

• 4 months later...