DAO appreciation thread...yup.

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canidae is the family of dogs and other related animals (such as wolves), not strictly dogs.

Noone argued that marine mammals aren't descended from four legged mammals. We said they didn't descend from dogs, because they didn't

DAO is gunna take this post and run another 30 pages haha.

I'm goin to sleep

A wolf IIISSSSSSSSS a fucking dog you thick headed fuck.

You're confusing domesticated pet dogs as being the only type of "dog" on the planet.

The shit don't have to be named Fluffy to be a fucking dog. :dunce:

Does everyone outside of 12oz know that Scandinavia is outside of Europe? I notice you keep avoiding the fact that you said Scandinavia is outside of Europe. :lol:

What about alcohol being a depressant? Were all the text books and rehab centers that say alcohol is a depressant -- are all of them within 12oz?

Scandinavia is a section of Europe.

I misspoke and said something about it being seperate ONCE, then realized that I was drunk and admitted that I was wrong.

I love how you're so desperate about being wrong on this that you feel the need to bring that up.

It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

It also doesn't change the fact that you're a fucking idiot who thinks that wolves are not dogs. :lol:

these are dog wolves, sort of...

wolfdogs.jpg

The black fur of some North American wolves is the result of long-ago dalliances with domestic dogs, probably the companions of the earliest

Native Americans.

And a black coat seems to provide an advantage to forest-dwelling wolves, meaning dogs passed on some useful genetic diversity to their wild cousins.

“This is pretty unique,” said biologist Tovi Anderson of Stanford University, lead author of the study published Thursday in Science. “Typically, you’d expect gene flow from domestic to wild animals would not be beneficial.”

Anderson and her team compared the genes of wolves from Yellowstone National Park and the Canadian

Arctic to those of domestic dogs and coyotes. They found that, in each species, the black individuals have the same mutation, which first arose about 45,000 years ago. And molecular-clock analysis showed the mutation was oldest in dogs, suggesting it originated with them and then spread to wolves and coyotes through interbreeding.

This all happened in North America, because there are no black wolves in Europe or Asia (except for an Italian population that has hybridized very recently with dogs). And wolves picked up the black-coat mutation in the distant past, perhaps

12,000-15,000 years ago, when people first crossed the Bering Land Bridge from Asia.

“We don’t see any evidence of recent interbreeding between dogs and North American wolves,” Anderson said.

The team also found genetic evidence that the black-fur mutation established itself very quickly in forest-dwelling wolves, meaning it must provide them with some significant advantage. Improved camouflage in the dark woods is one possible explanation.

“I think there’s more going on,” said Paul Paquet, a biologist at the University of Calgary who was not involved in the research. Camouflage should not be terribly important to wolves, he said, because they run their prey down rather than ambush it. And, until recent human-led extermination campaigns, wolves have faced little predation pressure.

A better immune system may be the answer. The black-fur mutation belongs to a family of genes that, in humans, is involved in fighting off infections.

“The advantage we see in wolves could be a result of this immune system function,” Anderson said. “But that’s just a hypothesis.”

This hypothesis is complicated by the fact that, while black wolves are common in North American forests, they’re rare on the open tundras. Wildlife biologists noticed this pattern long ago, and the new study further confirms it. If a black coat confers a better immune system, why not be black on the tundra, too?

“Perhaps there’s some sort of parasite that’s more prevalent in forested areas,” Anderson said. “One of the next steps is to find out exactly why this mutation is beneficial to wolves, to understand better how it works.”

“This is a beautifully conceived and executed study,” Paquet said. “I have considered many of these things previously, and this article made me think about them again.”

Paquet said the study also raises interesting questions. Why, for example, haven’t other dog colors worked their way into the wolf wardrobe? And if black wolves do well in woodlands, why are there so few of them in the forests of British Columbia, among the continent’s thickest?

The authors suggest that the black-coat mutation may become increasingly important to North American wolves, as much tundra may shift to woodland in a warming world. And the study shows genetic diversity can be found in surprising places.

"Adaptation really depends on genetic diversity, especially with the environment changing so rapidly," Paquet said.

"Domestic dogs might be a reservoir for resiliency."

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/02/blackwolves/

"Dog" specifically refers to the sub-species "canis lupus familiaris".

I'm not so sure it does. I am, however, willing to accept your conditional restraints on the term for the purposes of this argument... but I also see DAO is back and, as I said 'not really my argument'.

My advice is to focus on the dogs to whales link because most of the rest of the argument can just be bhung up on semantics.

PLAYERS! PLAY ON!

But they're not whales. Nor do they look like, act like even remotely resemble whales in the slightest bit.

And if a hippo went into the ocean and fucked a whale, you're not going to see any crossbreed hippowhales as a result. :dunce:

and? I dont get why you even typed this out. I was just making a statement about hippos and whales. It really had nothing to do with your conversation with others.

take the argue mode off auto pilot

We've posted links to Merriam Webster & PBS stating that wolves are not dogs. Smart is cool, but I don't know why you give extra credibility to his opinions over everyone else's. Is it because he's a mod? Remember, Bojangles said wolves aren't dogs. Did we post his statements 200 times?

Scandinavia is a section of Europe.

I misspoke and said something about it being seperate ONCE, then realized that I was drunk and admitted that I was wrong.

I love how you're so desperate about being wrong on this that you feel the need to bring that up.

It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

It also doesn't change the fact that you're a fucking idiot who thinks that wolves are not dogs. :lol:

You never admitted you were wrong once about that. You just said Scandinavia wasn't part of Europe, and everytime anyone brought it up, you just stayed silent. not indicating that you had revised your position at all. And I like how in the very, very rare instances where you admit you wrong, you almost always blame it on being "drunk". :lol:

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary must be idiots too since they differentiate wolves & dogs. You still haven't refuted what the dictionary said.

Me and Theo have been in here handling business (no homo), and you're gunna give him all the credit?

Bullshit

You and Theo have been royally PWNED and shut the fuck down.

youreanidiot.jpg

Theo, I think you're taking advantage of my beligerent nature... it's still all love but in a sec I'm gonna bail on this or turn into the Hulk...

Not quite... let's split some hairs.

Wolves are not a 'seperate sub-species'. Dogs are a 'sub-species' of Wolves. Canis lupus vs. canis lupus familiaris... see? So...

Let's talk about horses... Obviously an Arabian is different than an Appaloosa, that's a breed issue. Like Chiahuahuas and Gt. Danes. Now let's look at the wild horses of Chincoteague or the western US. They are horses (ponies) right? However, any domesticated horse is a 'familiaris' and all wild horses should be able to shed that portion of the title as wolves do in relation to domesticated dogs.

<www.12ozprophet.com>

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Yes, true -- but we've always said that dogs did come from wolves. And, according to the breeder where I got my dogs, said "Dogs could be considered a domesticated form of wolf". But a wolf can't be considered a "dog". "Dog" specifically refers to the sub-species "canis lupus familiaris".

And I worded the sub-species thing incorrectly earlier...still, the point is the taxonomy separates dogs from wolves.

youreanidiot.jpg

Archived