Need some advice from NY/CT heads

Kalashnikov

Alright, in a couple days I'm going to be driving out to Connecticut to see an old friend. I plan on leaving from Chicago at about 3 or 4am.

My plan is to get on 80 south of Chicago, through Indiana, Ohio, but then I've heard a couple different stories of which would be the better way to take. I'm going to New London, CT.

This is gonna be on Friday night, my first thought was to take I-80 all the way to 95, go across the GW Bridge into Manhattan/the Bronx, then head up 95 to New London. I figure I'll probably be getting to NYC around 9pm, I assume there's going to be mad traffic going up 95. I really want to see the city since I haven't been there in ages, but if it's gonna be a pain in the ass I can just wait since we're going to be spending time there anyways.

Map of taking this route

I've talked to 2 people that have done the drive out this way, neither of them recommended the first way. Second option would be taking 80 into Jersey, then catching 287 across the Tappan Zee bridge, to 15(Merritt Parkway) in Connecticut since I guess 95 up the coast is a cluster fuck(?)

Map of this way

And the last person I talked to said to avoid Pennsylvania and NYC altogether, by taking the NY State Thruway to Springfield, MA and catching 91 down to Hartford, then CT-2 down to New London. This seems WAYYYY out of the fucking way to me, but he said it's actually faster since you don't have to compensate for traffic on 95 and around the city.

Map of this way

But yeah help is appreciated, as of right now I'm doing this drive alone and I get tired after about 14 hours of driving so the last couple might be a stretch.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

1st, you had better be REALLY good friends w/ this person, otherwise why the fuck are you coming here? No one comes here. Forget the MA route, seems longer to me and I doubt you could be saving that much time. Personally I'd probably stick to 95. There's always traffic in NYC to deal w/, sometimes worse than others, but generally when I'm going from the city to CT at night it goes ok w/ 95 although I'm going across the whole city instead of coming from NJ. Generally speaking, once you get through the Bronx 95 should be pretty smooth the rest of your way. I'd plan it carefully if you're using 95 during rush hours during the work week.

I've never driven to Chicago, so I have no idea. If you're driving the northern route, then I'd say take the NY Thruway like the 3rd Option offers. If you're coming a more southern route, then I say the 2nd one is best. You'll hit traffic, but you won't have to deal with as much as going through the city to 95. Plus, 95 North sucks through CT.

If you're driving through here in the middle of the night, then go for which ever one estimates shorter time. When there is no traffic on the road, you're fine.

Haha yeah, I've known him since I was a little kid, otherwise I wouldn't even bother. I appreciate all the replies, I figured I'd ask because the people I talked to seemed like they were overexaggerating like a motherfucker. Hopefully everything goes good, I'll be sure to take a bunch of pics.