+ The Official "Scanned 90's Freight Flix" Thread!! +

NoDakFreights

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When American freight train graffiti began to gain popularity in the early 1990s, the concept of watching trains in search of graffiti was again adopted by only a handful of writers throughout the country. Because the North American freight system is so vast, watching freight trains in the early 1990s was at best, bleak. Over the course of an hour, if one throw-up or tag was spotted it was a big deal. When North American writers began to paint more freight trains, naturally the volume of graffiti increased. Shortly thereafter, writers earmarked locations in their city to watch trains. In what can be classified only as homage, freight writers called these train watching locations “the bench”. Just like the glory days of New York City subway graffiti, the bench is where the folk heroes of the Writing culture were born. Graffiti on trains was again counted, critiqued and documented. Photographing freight train graffiti presented different challenges. Besides the challenge of most freight benches being on private railroad property where there is no convenient bench, freight trains don’t stop to pick up and discharge passengers, so there is no window of opportunity to set up the perfect photo. In many cases the photographer has to shoot a masterpiece traveling at speeds of up to 40mph."

excerpt from the upcoming book Steel Wheels 1985 - 1997 Coming Spring 2010

hollar if you were out there benching and painting when there wasnt shit running!!!

barcut.jpg

bras.jpg

buckemdown.jpg

busautorack.jpg

cav.jpg

charkdenintermodal.jpg

civilhallow.jpg

cst.jpg

Zed Ski said it right.

I remember going to one spot back in 92 or 93. There would 25-100 cars there and if i walked out with 2-5 pictures it was a good day. Many a time i would walk out with no pictures.. Now if i go to that same spot there is something on 80 percent of the cars. Usually its not good though

Props Zed Ski

hollar if you were out there benching and painting when there wasnt shit running!!!

Funny how I remember sitting on a pretty busy line, and just as you say would be lucky to even see tags on the cars passing, now almost 15 years later I work right next to the same line, and when they roll through you are lucky to see a clean car. Some of the smaller local yards would let me walk the outside lines, and I would just hope to catch shit. The CN's and CP's were my best luck at cathcing anything, along with a handful of local writers that were doing their thing...