Life After People

the_gooch

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

Premieres tomorrow Monday 1/21/08 9 PM/8C on the History Channel.

"Life After People is a new TV documentary airing on the History Channel that attempts to forecast what our planet would be like if we were gone. It premieres this coming Monday, January 21. Looks like a lot of post-apocapalyptic fun! From the show's mini site:

_minisites_life_after_people_images_buildings_decomposing.jpg

Abandoned skyscrapers would, after hundreds of years, become "vertical ecosystems" complete with birds, rodents and even plant life. One small animal might be responsible for bringing down the Hoover Dam hydroelectric plant. Swelled rivers, crumbling bridges and buildings, grizzly bears in California and herds of buffalo returning to the Great Western Plains: In a world without humans, these would be the visual hallmarks. Our cars would shrivel to piles of dust, our house pets would be overtaken by flourishing wildlife and most of the records of our human story -- books, photos, records -- would fade quickly, leaving little evidence that we ever existed.

Using feature film quality visual effects and top experts in the fields of engineering, botany, ecology, biology, geology, climatology and archeology, Life After People provides an amazing visual journey through the ultimately hypothetical."

The 1986 nuclear power plant accident at Chernobyl and its aftermath provides a riveting and emotional case study of what can happen after humans have moved on. Life After People goes to remote islands off the coast of Maine to search for traces of abandoned towns, beneath the streets of New York to see how subway tunnels may become watery canals, to the Montana wilderness to divine the destiny of the bears and wolves."

http://boingboing.net/2008/01/18/#entry-41768

This looks like it's going to be interesting. I remember some hippy kid telling me about a book he was reading about this topic, I wish I could remember the name of it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sorry to get off topic, but this "last days" show it talking about super volcanoes. they're talking about how yellowstone is a sleeping super volcano, and how it's due to erupt. supposedly it could erupt every 600,000 years, and the last time it erupted was over 600,000 years ago. they're saying that if it did erupt, the whole midwest would be fucked, and eventually the whole country would fall. the amount of ash entering the atmosphere would in turn create another ice age.

we're fucked!

stupid tv and it's fear tactics.

Shit, I saw the commercials on the street in New York last week when I was visiting.

Coincidentally for some reason at one point, I was wandering on Flushing avenue and saw this

308l85u.jpg

Reminded me of the commercials. It's fenced on government property...

It's a cool sight, I recommend to go see it if any of that shit interests anyone.