NYC Subways - the good stuff-Best thread on 12 oz!

desism_ktc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: NYC Subways - the good stuff

img377.jpg

The story behind this is "NICKSALSA" MAFIA CREW moved to chicago in 1977 and brought a blackbook from a writer named "KIN" TKA, MAFIA CREW, NICKSALSA showed me a bunch of train pics from KIN, DOLLAR BILL, TRACEY, LSD, SILVER TIPS i'll never forget it. He got evicted a number of times and lost the book and photo albums, i've never come across those oldskool pics again.One that stands out was a dollar bill e2e with a penis character that was shouting out "i'll bust you out with my super sperm, i thought it was funny as hell.

^^^^Correct it was done by stage artists. That car actually ran for quite sometime too. It was done in the Fresh Pond "M" Yard. Wild Style and Dreams Dont Die were also filmed at Fresh Pond. Those two movies were filmed at least a year and half earlier when the yard was half full of scrap trains. Those trains were all scrapped by 1983. So I guess the MTA just let them paint an in service train.

Most of the action scenes shot in Wildstyle were done in an around scrapped trains in Fresh Pond and and the same with Dreams Dont Die. So mosto f those cars didnt run. I'm not sure what the deal was with the "Wild Style" piece with the Zorro character next to it done by Dondi on the IRT's was though. I know that one ran. I wonder if it was painted with legal permission or not for the movie.

i personally never understood why the hell beat street went out like that..if they would have

hired one of the 10 million real writers who probably would have done that shit for free

just for paint and publicity that movie could have been right up there with wild style/style wars as a real clasic definitive movie...but they half stepped with

that silly ass ramo shit i mean you have kool herc/rock steady/nyc breakers/bambaataa/ etc etc then you got silly ass ramo with

his ridiculous quotes..( that we all prob used on someone at one point in time) lol lol ....

beatstreetlab.jpg

beatstreetstance.jpg

ramo has a possee+++++ lol

Amazing thread. It's strange how graffiti, style wise/color combos, never progressed past the old school stuff. These trains are incredible. New stuff these days holds nothing to it.

I feel graff has progressed plenty as far as technique and style is concerned especially when it comes to the old school NYC writers who have been in the game for 20-25 years plus. Writers like Doc , Wane , Reas , Part , T-Kid , Pure , and everyone else who was great then got even much better now. The difference though is legal vs illegal. Having the time to paint legal walls has surely advanced the movement stylistically. Along with supplies that are now made for writers to paint with.

Unfortunately what does not progress much style wise in graffiti is the freight scene. Most freight sidings or yards especially the ones in the boondocks are so chill to paint that its almost like painting in a legal environment. You can spend hours on end in some of these places.

Yet so little of freight graffiti can even compare to what went down 25 years ago on subways, let alone what is being done on legal walls in NYC now. This part I don't get. Quality is just as important as quantity.

ven... much respect to you and all (i still got that great IGT with your letter in it), but i think you're wrong about the freight scene... there's a lot of great people doing a lot of work that stretches the boundaries. but at the same time, i believe fr8s really have to be dealt with different than walls. and there's a lot to be said for something that is readable and tight in a classic style for a train that might pass thru at 50 mph or someone might see rolling by a highway. that aspect of freights is one of the major things that's different that subways that people need to take into account... also, not all freight spots are as chill as all that. there's been periods of time when people did all kinds of inventive, different styles on freights, so much so that there's was a response against unreadable "spaghetti" pieces that's caused a trend towards straighter letters.. we're on that end of the cycle right now....

in addition, what you see a lot with freights is a lot of kids who come from spots that don't have a graff tradition... they don't learn, don't see skills from others, but they come to freights and pick it up as they go along.... i mean, NY is a hell of a spoiler (or was) as a scene to come out of, with so many influences out there. with the freights, some kids who are part of it didn't have that, but they drew ideas from somewhere else, and then learned to chase numbers, just to do as much as they can. it's different from how a lot of us from graff-historic areas came up and it ends up with different outcomes. that variety is a good thing in the end, but confusing at times.

hell, i look at it like this... you do your thing for a while, and work at it and style evolves. if you keep pushing yourself, then once you develop a style, it keeps evolving if you keep at it. and there's definitely kids who got style out there.

oh yeah, and blame Harry Belafonte and Hollywood for Beat Street!! if it wasn't for the music, that movie would be crap!

ven... much respect to you and all (i still got that great IGT with your letter in it), but i think you're wrong about the freight scene... there's a lot of great people doing a lot of work that stretches the boundaries. but at the same time, i believe fr8s really have to be dealt with different than walls. and there's a lot to be said for something that is readable and tight in a classic style for a train that might pass thru at 50 mph or someone might see rolling by a highway. that aspect of freights is one of the major things that's different that subways that people need to take into account... also, not all freight spots are as chill as all that. there's been periods of time when people did all kinds of inventive, different styles on freights, so much so that there's was a response against unreadable "spaghetti" pieces that's caused a trend towards straighter letters.. we're on that end of the cycle right now....

in addition, what you see a lot with freights is a lot of kids who come from spots that don't have a graff tradition... they don't learn, don't see skills from others, but they come to freights and pick it up as they go along.... i mean, NY is a hell of a spoiler (or was) as a scene to come out of, with so many influences out there. with the freights, some kids who are part of it didn't have that, but they drew ideas from somewhere else, and then learned to chase numbers, just to do as much as they can. it's different from how a lot of us from graff-historic areas came up and it ends up with different outcomes. that variety is a good thing in the end, but confusing at times

hell, i look at it like this... you do your thing for a while, and work at it and style evolves. if you keep pushing yourself, then once you develop a style, it keeps evolving if you keep at it. and there's definitely kids who got style out there.

oh yeah, and blame Harry Belafonte and Hollywood for Beat Street!! if it wasn't for the music, that movie would be crap!

You may be quite suprised how up I am on the freight scene of now and who does what. Their are definetly freight writers outside of the old school NYC crew right now painting frieghts whose work I respect. Writers like Heat, Myth , Isto , Lead , Seaz , Much , Sigh , ICH all do exceptional work in my opinion. The difference though is most writers do not take the time to do full on productions like you see here on the subways. Have you ever seen those Heat & Awe cars with the Charlie Brown characters on some reefers from a few years ago. That to me is proper graff 101. You just see a very limted amount of graff on freights like that. You can say what you want about trains going by at 50 MPH but most of the freight shots people post on threads here are taken at sidings or yards where the trains are standing still.

You say simple styles are what writers are into freight wise but yet go into the Kwest thread on here and see how many freight writers consider him god's gift to the freight scene because the pieces he does are the exact opposite of simple. Why is that? It's obviously because the effort in detail he puts into his work. How many other writers put that much effort into their work other then the names I mentioned above and maybe another dozen or so outside that?

As for kids not knowing or learnng style because they live in some rural area. They are on the internet posting their pics. So it's not like they are living in a secluded world. It's 2008 not 1988.

The world is at your finger tips no matter where you are these days.

edit**** i meant to add my 2 cents

graff itself has branched out, the fr8's is what kids here do

in europe they hit trains

some cats just do walls

others street bomb

nyc trains thought are the mother of all this shit.

wild how subway art truely changed the world art wise.

just glad i was there and saw it first hand.

this is dope thread

thanks to all who contribute

wow your right about subway art..and the man responsible is getting up in years..

i was thinking the other day..and i know it may ( god willing ) be far in the future..

but imagine henry c's funeral...jesus!! writers from all over the world will come

to pay respects..well they should anyway..im sure there will at least be

henry tribute walls for many decades...the man definately changed the world

whether you view it as good or bad...