NYC Subways - the good stuff-Best thread on 12 oz!

desism_ktc

Re: NYC Subways - the good stuff

^^^^Correct it was done by stage artists. That car actually ran for quite sometime too. It was done in the Fresh Pond "M" Yard. Wild Style and Dreams Dont Die were also filmed at Fresh Pond. Those two movies were filmed at least a year and half earlier when the yard was half full of scrap trains. Those trains were all scrapped by 1983. So I guess the MTA just let them paint an in service train.

Most of the action scenes shot in Wildstyle were done in an around scrapped trains in Fresh Pond and and the same with Dreams Dont Die. So mosto f those cars didnt run. I'm not sure what the deal was with the "Wild Style" piece with the Zorro character next to it done by Dondi on the IRT's was though. I know that one ran. I wonder if it was painted with legal permission or not for the movie.

From the Dondi book- " For the shoot, Ahearn was granted wage of the yard ( m yard) and permission to spray on one broken subway car. When LEE declined to be filmed inside the yard, Ahearn hired Dondi to double for him. Shrouded in a doo-rag, he was filmed entering the yard, hitting one of the trains parked there, and getting chased by two d's(one of whom was played by IZ THE WIZ). Later, a realistic prop train was constructed in a sound stage and Dondi again doubling as Zoro,executed a Zoro portrait. On his own, Dondi created the Wild Style whole car. His amazing car appeared in the film, and set the aesthetic tempo for the entire production. "

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

From the Dondi book- " For the shoot, Ahearn was granted wage of the yard ( m yard) and permission to spray on one broken subway car. When LEE declined to be filmed inside the yard, Ahearn hired Dondi to double for him. Shrouded in a doo-rag, he was filmed entering the yard, hitting one of the trains parked there, and getting chased by two d's(one of whom was played by IZ THE WIZ). Later, a realistic prop train was constructed in a sound stage and Dondi again doubling as Zoro,executed a Zoro portrait. On his own, Dondi created the Wild Style whole car. His amazing car appeared in the film, and set the aesthetic tempo for the entire production. "

If you look at the Wild Style Car itself it's on an IRT train. I have Henry Chalfant and Martha Cooper shots of this car . It was most def not done in the Fresh Pond Yard where most of the scenes in the beginning of this movie are shot.

IRT cars and BMT cars dont mix up in any yards except for 207th , Bedford Park and CI yards. The photos I have of this car are all shot in the Bronx. I will bet money that car was done on the 2&5's at either New Lots or Utica with no permission granted. Most likely the action shots were done in Fresh Pond but the actual car was not painted there.

As for "Dreams Don't Die" I know at least the yellow and black "King 65" piece by Dondi was done on a scrap train in Fresh Pond because before I had not even had a tag name when my brother took me into a scrap yard off Linden Blvd in East NY which is now a maintaince yard for work trains. At the time in 1983 this yard was where they scrapped trains prior to the Sunset Park yard. They torched the trains in half and I saw that car cut in half laying on its side. My bro has pics of it. Strider & Web painted these scrap trains right before they landed in there.

Half the M Yard prior to that was full of what I call "Dummy" trains. Scrap trains...you can even see pics of this time period on NYCsubway.org from that era if you go into the Fresh Pond Yard M Yard section Those trains had some real vintage 70's BMT graff. Early Iz, Uncle John & Vinny & TOP crew type shit.

and on one more note there was one non graff related story flick filmed in there that had some good graff scenes...Its called " A Stranger Is Watching" Anyone remember that?

Also filmed in the M Yard...

If you look at the Wild Style Car itself it's on an IRT train. Most likely they shot the in action shots in Fresh Pond but I will put money down that that car was not done in Fresh Pond yard at all.

Yeah, i think what they were trying to say in the Dondi book was that Dondi liked the Zoro character and "Wild Style" theme which he did legally on a mock up train, so much that he went out and did it on a live train for the city to see ..as a sort of cheeky "advertisement" for the movie.

I've been looking for a copy of dreams dont die for years. not that ive been looking hard but does anyone know where it can be found?

found this on imdb...

"Hi folks, I know how hard it's been to track this movie down. It took me nearly 4 years, and this is one of the best graffiti based t.v. movies I have ever seen. Anyway, I do have this movie, "Dreams Don't Die", on DVD. Those of you that would be interested in purchasing a copy, or possibly doing a trade, you can contact me at Nairobi2000@aol.com. Peace.

Nick"

^^LOL I'm looking for more classic trains .... LOL

well aren't we all..but surely some are holding out\. All I will say is there is a ton of shit out there , that chances you will never see....or you just gotta wait till the book comes out. Whose book i'm not quite sure because it seems everyone wants do a book. I just hope those that do a book froze their motherfucking nuts off benching...respect to those who weathered the days below freezing at East Tremont, Intergrale, 18th Ave(Bklyn) and all the other spots we benched on a cold hard day.. You know who you are!

and even more to those who benched 10 sets on the BMT's to catch one whole car back in 84

well aren't we all..but surely some are holding out out. All I will say is there is a ton of shit out there , that chances you will never see....or you just gotta wait till the book comes out. Whose book i'm not quite sure because it seems everyone wants do a book...

True, but there's only so many books that will sell on graff... Shit ill get them all, but the on the whole publishers wont bite unless its a seriously fresh "new" flick collection.....