ELF MPC - Rest in Peace my brother...

desism_ktc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Elf at Alife in like 2000...Very cool guy trying to school a young buck on how to get his hustle on in the freelance artworld...He had won a contest for Levis jeans...And he was doin designs on all this denim they gave him...I still have the blackbook he rocked of mine around here somewhere...I wish i could post it...Rest in Peace....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

2 LATE 2 HATE 2

Opening Reception: 7 – 10pm Saturday, December 1st 2007

Exhibition Dates: December 1st – December 3rd 2007

2 LATE 2 HATE 2 is an exhibition of artwork by the late Carlucci Bencivenga (AKA ELF MPC)

and over 50 artists who contributed works for sale to raise money to archive and publish

the work of Carlucci.

The title of the exhibition refers to the name of Carlucci's final

solo exhibition, 2 LATE 2 HATE. Carlucci was a luminary of the Lower East Side art scene whose body of work ranged from painting and printmaking to graffiti and noise performances.

Over 50 friends and colleagues donated 8 ½ x 11" works on paper to be

sold for $50 each.

Featured artists include:

Dutch Masterson

Philly/Kondor8

Craig Klein

Jose Parla

Mayuka Nobuta

Maggie Monaco

Jun Sugai

Luke Litman

Alan Rod

bJames

Jen Props

Wombat

Zito

Isabelle and Ferdinand

Faust

Desism

Angie Chavez

Dice

Jest

Jason

Kymber Lee

Mint 1134

Serf 1134

Filth

Falcon

Brian Procell

Kosuke Aoki

Carlucci Bencivenga

Steve Ellis

Jack Robinson

Ben Dory

Fiona Pippa

Sally Feelds

Jerome Henderson

Heather Cross

Nigwig

Tony Arcabascio

Apollo Braun

Sabe

Adam Brown

Pedro Arieta

Mark Foster

Alison Silva

Mr. Bee

Spar

Morgan Phillips

Shinsuke Aso

Tim Allen

Hans

Peter Kato

Dave Tree

Tim Diet

Tillamook Cheddar

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since 1933

Volume 77, Number 16 | September 19 - 25, 2007, 2007

bencivenga.gifObituary

Carlucci Bencivenga, 38, an artist and ‘connector’

By Albert Amateau

Carlucci Bencivenga, a charismatic artist in media ranging from graffiti, video and new sound to painting and sculpture and a luminary of the Lower East Side arts scene, died Sun., Sept. 2, in his studio on Stanton St. at the age of 38.

He apparently died in his sleep and his body was found by friends who were expecting him to take part in the Art Around the Park event around Tompkins Square Park at the HOWL! Festival the following weekend.

As of Monday, the city’s medical examiner had not determined the cause of death.

“He was a very high-energy guy with lots of ideas,” said Roberto Ragone, executive director of the Lower East Side Business Improvement District. “Listening to him talk, you felt like you were riding a wave of words and ideas on a surfboard. He had a role in creating the BID’s E.L.S./L.E.S. tours — Every Last Sunday of Lower East Side artist studios,” Ragone said.

Anthony Zito, a fellow artist and a friend of 10 years, recalled Carlucci’s Stanton St. studio was “a maniacal menagerie of curios — filled with stuff he found in the street, with his work. I always thought of it as a changing art installation.” Zito noted that in a milieu where drug use was common, Carlucci was a paragon of drug-free living.

Born and raised in the Bronx, Carlucci was a member of the Morris Park Crew of graffiti bombers and his tag was ELF MPC, or ELF One. He was a graduate of the School of Visual Arts.

He was also a member of The Eternalists performance art group. A fellow Eternalist, who goes by the name of True, recalled Carlucci’s involvement with him in a new music performance.

“We filled a stage at the Knitting Factory with everything and anything that could make noise and ran around playing them,” True said. “We played in Judson Church for Movement Dance and at art openings.”

“Carlucci was a real neighborhood guy,” said Josh Boyd, who opened Gallery Bar at 120 Orchard St. in January of this year. “When we opened, he came and donated a piece of his art and helped us organize our programs,” Boyd said.

“He was a total magician. There was no one like him,” said Maggie Monaco, an East Village resident and friend. “He was a teacher to everyone. Anytime you engaged him in conversation you knew you were in for an intellectual roller coaster.”

He curated several art shows, including “Make Art Not War” with over 60 artists.

Carlucci was born in 1969 to Carl and Theresa Bencivenga, who survive him. A younger brother, Joseph, of the Bronx, also survives. The funeral was Fri., Sept. 8, in St. Clare’s Church in the Bronx and burial was in St. Raymond’s Cemetery.

375732695_2554011eb9.jpg?v=0

...Another year gone but not forgotten.

Remember doing this car? The Krylon Silver mist got us coughing and shooting silver snot later on that night. Your green blob monster (as we called it from that point on) was the first of many characters we would rock in between our pieces. I regret having to leave and not doing more my brother.

But the best thing about a partner is no matter how much time spent away, you won't be forgotten.

RIP ELF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...