LORD SHABAZZ & MR MAJIC PRESENT 'THE SUPERFRIENDS LEGENDARY SUPERPOWERS SHOW' 800 PX!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: LORD SHABAZZ & MR MAJIC PRESENT 'THE SUPERFRIENDS LEGENDARY SUPERPOWERS SHOW' 800

Nice thread and lots of credit for all the time it took to post. That is some serious love.

I do have to say though hip hop & graffiti have not much to do with each other regardless of what you see in Style Wars or fictional movies like Beat Street or Wildstyle. Graffiti was around all city in NYC 10 years before rap made its way out of the South Bronx. Their were also just as many white writers listening to rock , metal & pop. Just look at Sach in Style Wars wearing a Van Halen shirt. Look at some of Seen's cars like the Black Sabbath & Hand of Doom cars. Shit Dondi who was of mixed race was writing"Children Of The Grave" on his whole cars. In the late 80's in NYC many writers were into NYC Hardcore bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains etc. So really you can assimilate graff being connected to only rap music.

The downside of the rap connection with graffiti happened in 1985 when breakdancing became played out in NYC. Many non writers in the rap scene were saying graffiti was also played out too. It took awhile for graff's image to stand back on its own again because of the over hype of trendy movies like Breakin, Beat Street which commercialized not only rap & breakdancing but graff too

Graff is it own entity. It had no allegiance to any music scene before 1980 so why then do some people try to connect to it to rap which came out years after graff?

Also to make it clear that im not hating on rap, I have many of those songs on many a Chuck Chillout & Red Alert tapes that I own. Good shit that I assimilate with growing up as Im sure is the same with many others. However I dont see it as this great big hip hop culture. I see them as all different facets of growing up in a rough & tough 80's NYC.

Re: LORD SHABAZZ & MR MAJIC PRESENT 'THE SUPERFRIENDS LEGENDARY SUPERPOWERS SHOW' 800

Grimy-est thread up right now. Caught a flash back, Graff still LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always coming through better than any know, but I almost cried when I saw this...

GLUE33.jpg

No matter how fresh you are, going over a classic jesl is a crime against humanity...

Fresh!!! get ya riot on!!

hiphop and graff are just leaves on the same tree of creativity, designed by nyc's youth.. they go hand and hand to me, its more of a feeling and tradition then percise time lines and theories. these things don't go together cus someone told me so..and thats all i know..

looting1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...