ORIGINAL WRITERS

JambaJuice

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is traditional wild style. Although this piece is recent it still employs all of the traditional wild style elements.

The arrows and style are coming off the front and back of the piece. back when wild style was being created pieces

were drawn to give an armed appearance. Real fresh pieces, or burners, were at battle with all the other pieces on the line.

So the defense – the arrows and other style elements, were meant to protect the heart of the piece – the letters.

So the letters were still legible, but armed for war none the less. This flik is stolen from the FC thread because

FC, TC5, FBA and that family of crews are the ones that really perfected wild style and made it standard. So don’t

let the term fool you, wild style does not mean unreadable. it has a very specific meaning – a true wild style piece

should be readable to other writers. just because a piece is unreadable doesn’t make it wild style.

like vulcan - i think his pieces are truly original and way ahead of his time

this is traditional wild style. Although this piece is recent it still employs all of the traditional wild style elements.

The arrows and style are coming off the front and back of the piece. back when wild style was being created pieces

were drawn to give an armed appearance. Real fresh pieces, or burners, were at battle with all the other pieces on the line.

So the defense – the arrows and other style elements, were meant to protect the heart of the piece – the letters.

So the letters were still legible, but armed for war none the less. This flik is stolen from the FC thread because

FC, TC5, FBA and that family of crews are the ones that really perfected wild style and made it standard. So don’t

let the term fool you, wild style does not mean unreadable. it has a very specific meaning – a true wild style piece

should be readable to other writers. just because a piece is unreadable doesn’t make it wild style.

like vulcan - i think his pieces are truly original and way ahead of his time

thanx moose you schooled even me.loved the history please tell me more!

p.s. all those crews you named are dope!

its wanst just those. there were other crews - and other writers that contributed.

you got guys like TNT, TFA, The man himself Dondi (who without question changed

the game). I mean you had so many guys that were doing incredible shit that its hard

to quantify. but what is known today as wild style - or the graffiti funk letter style, which

is that standard graffiti lettering that is known and used all over the world, was made

popular by the FC, FBA, TC5 family. now im sure they had their influences, but as far

as what I know and saw, they were the ones that made it what it is today. now as for

the more - non traditional - obscure styles you gotta look at guys like Iz the wiz,

baby 168 (remember the izthewiz baby168 car in style wars 'this is it'), Case2 and

plenty of others. Check for this dude named strider - way fucking nasty. even lace357

was pulling off some original shit during his reign which lasted well over 10 years on the

subways. i mean style, or the concept of - is the hardest thing to hammer down. i mean

you talk to guys like Dash who is the FC historian and he can breah down the actual factuals,

dates names etc. or weber KAOS. i mean these are guys that really know the history and

evolution of style. if you can still get it, check out Phase2's book "style: writing from the

underground" reading it will make you dizzy and give you the year by year account of tags

to pieces to throw ups to the further development of pieces - how getting up figured into

the equasion etc.

Now as for the post subway era you still have some guys that are doing and did some

grounbreaking shit. even today. im kind of partial to this guy named reup. his shit is

pretty amazing to me. also feeling se won, although his shit is a little too refined and

crisp for my taste i find myself staring at his graff because it is well executed. obviously

smith, sento are legendary on the style tip. you dont even see people biting their shit

because they cant. already mentioned onorock and scar pretty original. i mean i could

go on for days on this - seriously. good thing i dont smoke weed anymore or i would sit

here and write a 6 page commentary on style.

as i scrolled up i forgot to mention nace. god rest his soul. i wasnt really

into the later abstract stuff. but its not always about what im into. before him

i never seen anybody do shit like that. not to mention how many motherfuckers bit it.

so fuck an opinion - i used to see that

nace shit runn by at 40mph and even though i couldnt read it i knew it was him

because it was that original and unique, and after all, thats what this is all about.

• 3 months later...

the mac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/mac.jpg

silo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/silo.jpg

joker

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/joker.jpg

sofles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/sofles.jpg

sofles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/sofles01.jpg

i wish i could find a better example of joker, like this train he did with jetts or the flyer he did for 12oz back in the day

also i couldnt find a worthy sofles, his stuff blows my mind but i didnt feel like digging through the australia thread to find the one im thinking of