NERD (yes, I am one)

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Mozilla Corp. has released a new test version of Firefox 2.0, which will be the next major version of its popular open-source browser.

Firefox 2.0 Beta 2, released Thursday at about 3 p.m. Pacific time, features an improved user interface and a limited version of the phishing protection feature that Mozilla is developing for the browser. More information on the Beta 2 release can be found here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/releases/2.0b2.html#download

Beta 2 also comes with improved search capabilities, a spellchecker for Web forms, and jazzed-up tabbed browsing capabilities.

This second beta release will probably be the last beta version of Firefox 2.0. Developers are now planning to ship a nearly final "release candidate" edition of the browser on Sept. 19, with the finished product going out the door by the end of October.

Mozilla had been hoping to have Firefox 2.0 finished by September, but that date was pushed back recently to give developers more time to squash the growing list of bugs in the beta code.

I use Opera 9.0. I've been using Opera for a while now, and I'm very happy with it...I mean, it's not perfect, but neither is Firefox. Opera is a lot smaller, which is a big thing to this nerd...but, it's not open source.

My favorite browser for Linux is Dillo. Installed, it's only half a meg, thus it goes faster than free beer on Prom Night. Everybody I've talked to complains about the poor rendering in Dillo, but I never really noticed. Somebody needs to port this gem to XP, already.

I may try FF 2.0 out just to see what all the fuss is, though. Same with Vista. More out of curiosity than anticipation, I think.