Hackers, cyberpunks, and technophilosophy

fermentor666

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The design reminds me of the perpetual motion machine that Mr. Garrison created in that episode of South Park. I don't foresee any flying personal transports in the near future, not until they can build some sort of invisible barrier protecting the idiots from running into buildings. Watching "The Island" the other day, I found their vision of elevated trains somewhat feasible. Running only on wires and on multiple city levels. Safety-wise it's feasible, at least.

I guess I should throw my hat in the ring.

I've used computers for a LONG time...long enough to remember using teletype terminals hooked into a mainframe back in the mid 80's- this was the Los Angeles Unified School District's idea of "tech" when I was 10. More importantly, we also had a lot of Apple IIes laying around, and some IIcs. The more advanced IIcs were mostly used to run a program called LOGO that would draw pretty pictures if you were able to program simple commands that told what was called a "turtle" (really a big-ass cursor) where to go and what to do...shit, I even remember some of the commands, like RT 45 would turn the turtle 45 degrees to the right. FD 100 (I think) would move it 100 pixels forward, and CIRCLER 180 would make the turtle draw a circle 180 pixels in diameter...anyway, I like to read, and I got a hold of the manual for LOGO...and found a command called DRIVE that basically made the turtle move forward, but allowed it to be steered using the arrow keys. Now, this was more fun than typing in lines of code, because it was more like a game, and the results would always be a little more abstract than what you could do with simply entering commands. Eventually, I told everyone about it, and got yelled at by the teacher for it...but, in my mind, I had done nothing wrong- I just simply shared a hidden function of LOGO with the class, and told her so.

But by then, I had tired of LOGO, since it really only did one thing, albeit well...I wanted more. Enter BASIC. This was a good thing for two reasons- the IIes were less desirable than the IIcs to most people since they weren't as good for games (yes, we got to play games, but I forget which ones), and they were fairly slow...but, they were great if you were programming BASIC, so I got some books and learned how to make some simple games using GOTO, GOSUB, IF and THEN commands. Sometimes they worked, other times they didn't...but, to me, it was like music- some people could physically write it out on paper and know what it was going to sound like before it was ever played. I wanted to be able to program in the same way, and to some very minor degree, I did just that.

I moved out of the district, though, and thus a very large gap develops in the story. Following this, I used an Amiga 512 for a couple years, then I used Macs for a long time...and recognized them in much the same way I would look at a toaster- great tools for getting work done, but not a hell of a lot of fun to mess around with on the code level.

I'll add more to this later, I need to go eat something before I pass out.

haha. i remember having an ADAM computer back in 1985(?) we used the BASIC commands to draw houses, etc. sort of like LOGO. in 86/87 i remember my school getting some computers

and we played "the oregon trail" for extra credit in geography (social studies is what they call it now). that fucking ADAM company was later bought by apple/macintosh. i think they became a software company for a short time.

in 91/92 we got a 250 mhz gateway 2000. bbs's were my thing for the longest time. telnet, mudd games, all that. 93/94 were my "sneaking in to local university campus computer labs to use the interwebs" years. they were fast as fuck. telnet and PINE, bbs'es, the beginning of html coding. so few webpages in the beginning...

anyhow, i'm not going to talk about my sordid years after that. lots of learning by breaking things, lots of awake time, caffeine, etc. etc. etc.

p.s.: the ADAM had a tape drive to run programs...looked like cassettes. only for data. not many of the younger people realize there was somethign ebfore cd's and floppy's.

I learned how to crack back when you could get a shell account easily and telnet was the main way of breaking into a computer. Happy hacker taught me all I knew. I grew out of it when the hormones kicked in and talking to girls seemed more interesting then pinging ip's. Since then I have become rather behind the times and couldnt crack a website if I tried.

It was interesting and makes for a good conversation starter when I meet old timers.

thats easy. get a dictaphone or any other recording device and record the sounds made in the receiver of the two quarters or download and record those sounds. now you have a redbox. make sure if you're recording that the place is real quiet bc if there is too much other noise it wont work. Im not sure if you can make long distance calls with it anymore I heard phone companies where fazing long distance coin calling out to combat phreakers.

The more advanced IIcs were mostly used to run a program called LOGO

Hahahahahahaha! I knew how to animate in logo. I was one of the first people to have aol, back when it was cool, and my first computer was a 386 NEC. DOS was alright but i was tecnologically advanced because I had win 3.0.

I learned how to type on some crap apple with floppies, the floppy kind. The program was mavis becon teaches typing, the first edition.

MmmmHmmm....Im not that old but I sure remember the early 90's and the crazy computer shows.:p

edit: and my favorite game was Oregon Trail.

oregon%20trail.JPG

its all about gorillas. explosive bannanas like whoa.

i remember logo.

i used to have an 80/88 that i ran solely text based games on. I remember having one called wildcatter, about oil productiong, and submarine. both were based on some simple alphanumeric grid that when called upon a certain region it gave different options about it. it was sweet. if nothing else it got me way comfortable with different GUI's and typing.

after the 80/88 i had a 286 and the progressed throughout the years. my dad was IT for as long as I can remember, he always kept me on the up and up. I did less hacking, tried phreaking, but stuck mostly with just working on machines with my dad.

I remember when I was twelve, I went on a service call with him. I ended up doing like three hours of work, solved their network issues and set up some programs across the LAN. My dad charged them full price for the hours I worked. It was by far the best working experience I have ever had.

Oregon Trail was the shit. Anybody remember the amazon river game? I think it was made by the same people.

And did anyone else feel really uncomfortable from the switch from 3.1 to 95 when it happened? I hated the 95 GUI and the lack of the DOS base. I had so many games that were just effed. Aces of the pacific, commander keen, caves, on and on...

This is a problem. AI is the next big wave of tech and there are going to be huge social and ethical implications going on. These algorithms fall into this catogory, as it is trying to predict human intelligence by studying human intelligence. Soon, dots will be connected and pieces will fall into place. I've been thinking that the biggest challenge for the hacking community right now would be to get there first.

Algorithms to Calculate Unusual Behavior

http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=24476

this stuff is very spooky,

part of me sees this as a potential for stopping un-necessary stuff from happening and preventing innocent people from harm, but another part of me knows that the people who's tenticles will be all over this technology do not always have the best interest of the people in mind. (to put it lightly).

this stuff is very spooky,

part of me sees this as a potential for stopping un-necessary stuff from happening and preventing innocent people from harm, but another part of me knows that the people who's tenticles will be all over this technology do not always have the best interest of the people in mind. (to put it lightly).

that is putting it very lightly dawood. have you heard about the passive mri's going into airports? it is a type of mind reading, so to speak. by analyzing the patterns in the brain, where neurons are firing at, they can tell if you're lying, hiding something, nervous, etc. it's all very scary stuff. way more scary than 1984.

Archived