Banned

NeRVe54

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 for yuengling. they also have a brewery in tampa.

Busch Gardens... I like their Porter but they don't sell it around here.

...in PA the state law forces you to buy beer a case at a time unless you buy carry-out.

Shai, babelfish is a reference to "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", it's actually more of a direct quote.

In the book, "The Babel fish is small, yellow and leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish."

There is also a funny joke about man proving God doesn't exist because of the babelfish, " "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing. "

Glad to be of service.

Yep. I read all of Douglas Adams' books. He was a big inspiration in many ways. C'mon, EBP...give me some credit, here!

What did you think of the movie? I liked it, but I realized pretty quickly it had to be judged as a completely seperate work than the book. Mos Def was definitely an unexpected choice to play Ford Prefect, but he did a great job, I thought.

Yep. I read all of Douglas Adams' books. He was a big inspiration in many ways. C'mon' date=' EBP...give me some credit, here![/quote']

No, give him a break, I almost 'corrected' you on the same thing because your post was blurry... it was only my superior knowledge of both the HHGTTG 'trilogy' AND the Dune series that enabled me to transcend your bad grammar and sort out your total lack of segue.

When I was a kid I had a fat ass Tsing Tao shirt with a dragon and shit, was right up there with all my Ralph Steadman shirts! Plus I had a ton of shirts that said stuff like 'ANTIGUA' or 'Staniel Cay Yacht Club' was a cool one... Tsing Tao is Chinese beer.

No' date=' give him a break, I almost 'corrected' you on the same thing because your post was blurry... it was only my superior knowledge of both the HHGTTG 'trilogy' AND the Dune series that enabled me to transcend your bad grammar and sort out your total lack of segue.[/quote']

Okay, you got me there. I just figured he would know that I knew what a Babel Fish was. And, I never thought that I'd see the day that someone on 12 oz. would point out my grammatical mistakes and poor use of literary devices. This is the day that I must recieve my comeuppance, however...and I say to you-

Smart, your choice of username is remarkably astute. No irony...you called it, fair and square.

(Boy...watch the nerds shine tonight.)

Busch Gardens... I like their Porter but they don't sell it around here.

...in PA the state law forces you to buy beer a case at a time unless you buy carry-out.

Not true. I'm from PA. and I usually bought my beer in 40's or 12 or 6 packs. In fact you can't get cases at the beer store cause it's against the law for them to sell anything more than a 12 pack. You have to go to a distributer to get a case.

And Theo should be explaining what the difference is between getting banned and getting condemned. He should know!

All I know is that I couldn't care less about either. Both are inconsequential to my real life. You got motherfuckers on here actually slitting their wrists to this shit.

Guest spectr
Yep. I read all of Douglas Adams' books. He was a big inspiration in many ways. C'mon, EBP...give me some credit, here!

What did you think of the movie? I liked it, but I realized pretty quickly it had to be judged as a completely seperate work than the book. Mos Def was definitely an unexpected choice to play Ford Prefect, but he did a great job, I thought.

the movie was horrible i barely made it through it. it was just to hard to sit there and watch such a great book get destroyed, on the other hand the bbc series was fucking great.

movie was awesome

people get their panties in a twist so much these days over movies. take that movie for example. the fact that we can even make that film is fucking amazing in the first place. iono man, personally i think that we an even visual represent these great stories is a triumph in and of itself. i go to all these movies and am awestruck that we are so capable of visualizing and contextualizing these stories that most of us have grown up with.

whatever though. if you genuinely dont like a film, possibly give more reason than "it ruined the book" fuck off with that.