<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

some people are still experiencing problems with the Security Center Alerts even though they have been disabled using the procedure below. If you experience any problems the only 'current' solution is to Disable the Security Center all together. To do this follow the details at the bottom of this page

Removing Security Alert check marks from Security Center

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start menu select Control Panel

3/ In Control Panel click the Security Center Icon

4/ The security Center window will now open

5/ On the left of the window you will see a list of options

6/ Click on the Change the way security Center alerts me option

7/ In the Security Center Alert settings windows you have three options:

• Firewall

• Auto Updates

• Virus Protection

8/ Remove the check mark from the option you do not want to be alerted of

9/ Click OK

10/ Finally Exit the Security Center and Control panel

Disabling Security Center from within Services msc

1/ Click Start button

2/ Click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type: ‘services.msc’ (without the quotes)

4/ In the services window scroll down the list until you come to Security Center

5/ Double Click on the Security Center option

6/ The Security Center properties window will open

7/ In the Start Type dialogue box it should read ‘Automatic’

8/ Click the Green arrow on the right of the dialogue box

9/ From the drop down menu select Disable

10/ Click the Apply button followed by OK to Exit the Security Center Properties Window

11/ Finally Exit Services msc

there you go

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

MS Expands Anti-Piracy Program, Reissues Patch

Microsoft today began expanding its anti-piracy program by quietly pushing out a software update that in many cases automatically scans Windows computers and reports on whether they are powered by unlicensed software.

The "new pilot program" is a fairly broad expansion of Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage program, under which the anti-piracy check was required only for users who wish to download security updates or other free programs from Microsoft's site. Under WGA, users who chose to receive fixes via Automatic Updates were not prompted to install and run the anti-piracy software.

Starting today, however, Windows XP users in the United States who have set up automatic security updates will receive the anti-piracy tool. After installation and reboot, they may find their computers popping up an alert that reads: "This copy of Windows is not genuine; you may be a victim of software counterfeiting." Microsoft also is pushing the new tool out to auto-update users in Britain, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand.

I hadn't heard about this program until today, when my laptop -- which of course is running a legitimate copy of XP Home Edition -- received this update today and prompted me to restart. When I rebooted the machine and went to "Add Remove/Programs," the hyperlinked Microsoft Knowledge Base article that was supposed to describe more about this patch was not available, so I sent a few questions over to Microsoft. Below are their answers:

How does Microsoft plan to disseminate this? Through automatic updates?:

"Yes. As part of the pilot program, some customers in the U.S. U.K., Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand will be invited to receive WGA Notifications through Automatic Updates (AU) to learn whether or not they are running genuine Windows. Customers who opt in to the pilot and learn they are using non-genuine versions of Windows will receive a message during logon that their copy of Windows appears to be non-genuine and will be directed to the WGA Web site to learn more. If they choose not to obtain a copy of genuine Windows at that time, the customer will receive reminders until they are running genuine Windows. While the pilot is presently opt-in, as it expands later in the year, AU and WU customers may be required to participate. Users who have not validated their machines as genuine through WGA will not be able to download IE 7 and Windows Defender among other downloads and updates. However, they will not be denied critical security updates" (my emphasis added).

Will the Windows customer who uses auto-updates have the opportunity to decline this update and still install other updates?:

"The pilot is opt-in, so all participants are given a choice about whether or not they wish to participate. The opt-in is via a License Terms dialog, and users can chose to accept or decline. Only users who accept will receive the software. Once installed, participants will have the option to suppress notifications for some length of time. Users will not have the option of uninstalling WGA Notifications. Customers [already] running genuine Windows Advantage will be unaffected by WGA notifications. Users running non-genuine Windows will see the notifications at boot time, login time, and periodically to via a system tray bubble notification. Messages are displayed until the system is running genuine Windows. Users can choose to suppress the notifier. The notifier will remind such users that they are not running genuine Windows and direct them to the WGA failure page, where they can learn more about the benefits of genuine software and take advantage of the Microsoft genuine Windows offers designed to help victims of counterfeit software. All users are able to receive High Priority Security & reliability updates regardless of their validation status. Users will not have the option of uninstalling WGA Notifications" (again, my emphasis).

What has been the rate of acceptance among Windows users to the Genuine Advantage program so far? How many potentially pirated versions of Windows has Microsoft received reports of thus far through the WGA program and installed tools?

"To date, we have already validated more than 150 million systems worldwide with WGA. As of March 2006, the WGA notifications program has been offered to more than 13 million users and we estimate an additional 13 million customers will receive the program with the present expansion. The ultimate goal of WGA is to differentiate genuine Windows software from non-genuine software. WGA also helps Microsoft learn more about counterfeit resellers and their illegal practices. We don't have specific numbers to share."

What exactly happens in the event that the tool finds a PC that is suspected of running a counterfeit version of Windows (what info, if any, is then shared with Redmond)?:

"WGA Notifications is for Windows XP users. Our client software does not collect any information that can be used to identify or contact a user. We use the same process used by many popular search engines and Web sites to determine where their users are from -- a form of IP lookup. This IP lookup process does not include any information that is used to identify you or contact you, and only gives a rough geographic representation of where users are located."

Microsoft also said it is planning to expand the anti-piracy pilot to Microsoft Office products. Initially this will affect users of various foreign language versions of Office, including Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Greek, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

Microsoft has every right to defend its intellectual property rights, and I don't for a single second begrudge the company for trying to quash software piracy, which is a very costly and global problem. But I'm a little concerned that this action could cause a number of Windows users to turn off automatic updates completely, and as such leave their systems unpatched and sitting ducks for would-be attackers who might use those machines for criminal purposes.

For my part, I turned off Automatic Updates several months ago, mainly because I got sick of telling Windows not to install its "malicious software removal tool," (even though I checked the box next to "don't ask again" or something to that effect, Windows asks permission to reinstall the program every time other updates are available).

Microsoft also released today an update to fix a Windows security patch (MS06-015) it issued a week ago that caused problems for some users of Hewlett-Packard hardware and software, as well as some Windows users who have certain Nvidia graphics cards installed.

Microsoft said that if you are configured to receive automatic updates, you don't need to do anything: "It will detect if you have the problem and deliver the update to you. If you have not yet installed MS06-015, the revised version will be offered to you." Automatic update users will also get a complimentary copy of the new Windows anti-piracy tool as well.

errrrrrrrrrrm

So I just got some Photoshop plugins of a tutorial CD. I downloaded them.

How do I actually use them? When I double click the file it brings me into Photoshop but I don't know how to use them or where to find them in Photoshop

Sorry this might sound like a retarded question, but I actually have no idea how to use this shit.

Thanks

How to Install Photoshop-compatible plugins (.8bf File)

Adobe Photoshop / Photoshop Elements / Illustrator / ImageReady

Make sure you installed the plugin(s) into the "Plugins" or "Plug-ins" sub folder inside the Photoshop, Illustrator or ImageReady folder

i recommend that you create a sub folder with the name of the plugin in that folder and install it there. After restarting the application, you will find it on the Filter menu.

Thanks heaps

But

Inside my photoshop plug-ins folder there are alot of folders

There is alot of plug-ins that I have, but they all of them arnt filters

And also my firefox automatically downloads files to a different file. Can I just drag the plug-ins into the Photoshop plug-ins file?

Thanks heaps

But

Inside my photoshop plug-ins folder there are alot of folders

There is alot of plug-ins that I have, but they all of them arnt filters

And also my firefox automatically downloads files to a different file. Can I just drag the plug-ins into the Photoshop plug-ins file?

yes you can drag and drop the plugins

i do not understand what is firefox doing can you explain that in a different way?

if you want it to ask you where you want them to be placed go to tools\options\download tab checkmark the box saying ask me where to save every file

or if you want them all in the same folder just mark the other line and put in where you want the files downloaded saved at

Yeah I sort of knew that bit, I was just letting you know what I was talking about.

Any way, one more question. Can I just dump all the plug-ins into the Photoshop Plug-ins file or do I have to put eachplug-in into specific plug-in files?

thanks for all the previous help though

some people are still experiencing problems with the Security Center Alerts even though they have been disabled using the procedure below. If you experience any problems the only 'current' solution is to Disable the Security Center all together. To do this follow the details at the bottom of this page

Removing Security Alert check marks from Security Center

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start menu select Control Panel

3/ In Control Panel click the Security Center Icon

4/ The security Center window will now open

5/ On the left of the window you will see a list of options

6/ Click on the Change the way security Center alerts me option

7/ In the Security Center Alert settings windows you have three options:

• Firewall

• Auto Updates

• Virus Protection

8/ Remove the check mark from the option you do not want to be alerted of

9/ Click OK

10/ Finally Exit the Security Center and Control panel

Disabling Security Center from within Services msc

1/ Click Start button

2/ Click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type: ‘services.msc’ (without the quotes)

4/ In the services window scroll down the list until you come to Security Center

5/ Double Click on the Security Center option

6/ The Security Center properties window will open

7/ In the Start Type dialogue box it should read ‘Automatic’

8/ Click the Green arrow on the right of the dialogue box

9/ From the drop down menu select Disable

10/ Click the Apply button followed by OK to Exit the Security Center Properties Window

11/ Finally Exit Services msc

there you go

Thanks a lot. :D

ok i must not post this enough

you kids have to update your computers

go to your manufacturers website (dell/hp/compaq/gateway/blah blah blah (if you build your own then still go to your manufacturer website Abit/nvidea/AMD blah blah blah

and update your firmware/drivers/all that good stuff it will make your computer run better thats what updates are for

10 Things Every New Mac Owner Should Know

Tags: apple, defrag, expose, mac, macmini, OS X, RAM.

I’ve compiled a list of 10 things every first time Mac owner, particularly Mac Mini owner, should know about their new computer and operating system. This article should answer some burning questions, enlighten you about some features you did not know about OS X and just all around be helpful. Enjoy. Any questions can be directed towards me here. I wrote this for 123MacMini.

256 Won’t Cut It

Upgrading to 512MB of DDR RAM is suggested and will get you off to using a Mac on the right foot while an upgrade to 1GB will really unleash some speed. More RAM means you can have more applications open at the same time and decreased boot times. I recommend 1GB for photoshop or other intensive application users. Any memory rated DDR333 or higher will suffice. If you can find one with a CAS latency of 2 or 2.5, get that over one with a CAS of 3. If you’re not sure to go Crucial’s Mac section should be just what the doctor ordered.

1GB DDR400 RAM

No Need to Defrag

Whenever a PC is acting sluggish the first thing you hear people ask is “Have you tried defragging the hard drive?” However, this is not the case with Macs. Based on the proven and reliable Unix architecture with a Mac OS Extended Journaled file system, you don’t have to worry about defragmenting your hard drive to boost access/reading/writing times; it is done for you automatically. (Technically, it is not being defragged but things are just put in their place with journaling) Whenever your mac detects that it is fairly idle or you attempt to use a heavily fragmented file, it will start fixing up your filesystem. This might explain some noises coming from your computer in the middle of the night (assuming you left it on).

No Defrag

Closing Unresponsive Applications

The Mac equivalent of CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up a system tasks profiler for force quitting unresponsive tasks is CMD-OPTION-ESC (or Windows-ALT-ESC if you are using a PC keyboard). Just select the frozen application and hit Force Quit. If a program is completely frozen, it will appear in red text.

Force Quit

Where Did That Window Go?

You will quickly learn that when you minimize your applications, they go to the dock. Specifically the items to the right of the bar in the dock menu are open finder windows or applications. This is similar to the area where minimized applications go in the windows task bar. Also, if a finder window is not minimized, but behind another open window you can bring it up by clicking on the finder icon in the dock.

Dock

Updates

You will want to occasionally check for updates from Apple by accessing the Apple menu and clicking on Software Update. I recommend heading over to Apple > System Preferences > Software Update and setting your Mac to automatically check for software updates weekly and download important updates in the background.

Software Updates

System Profiler

The System Profiler, accessible via Apple > About This Mac > More Info, is the one stop shop for finding out anything about your Mac. Similar to Windows XP’s Administrative tasks and Device Manager, the System Profiler is easy to navigate and offers you a plethora of system information from application versions to the MAC address of your ethernet card.

System Profiler

Expose

Apple introduced Expose to OS X to make your life easier, so go ahead and use it to your heart’s content. Go to Apple > System Preferences > Dashboard & Expose and play with some of the settings to make those menial tasks more convienient to execute. My favorite Expose tip is setting an active corner to open up Dashboard. One simple mouse movement and Dashboard launches.

Expose

Login Items

A major annoyance with some applications is that upon installation they will automatically set themselves to run when you boot your computer. For Windows XP, you would usually run msconfig to remedy this problem. However in OS X you can access a similar menu in Apple > System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. From here you can add, remove and hide items that launch when you login.

Login Items

Eject Optical Media

This is probably only a problem for those that are using non-Apple keyboards, that lack a CD Eject key. Press and Hold F12 for 2 seconds to eject any CD or DVD. An alternate method is dragging the CD icon on the desktop to the trash. This will not delete it. You can also use the Command-E keystroke.

Eject

Keyboard Shortcuts

If saving time and being productive is the name of the game, then keyboard shortcuts are for you. The next time you are browsing around the menus of your favorite applications, take a glance at the right side of the menu to see if you find any shortcuts that can help you out. Here are a few to get you started.

Command-? Mac Help

Command-A Select All

Command-C Copy

Command-D Duplicates current item

Command-E Ejects selected volume, media, or server

Command-F Find

Command-H Hide current application

Command-I Opens Get Info dialog for selected item

Command-J Toggles View Options Open & Closed

Command-K Connect to server

Command-L Creates Alias for selected item

Command-M Minimize a Finder-folder to Dock

Command-Option-M Save as above but minimizes all open Finder-folders

Command-N Opens up new Finder window

Command-O Opens selected item

Command-Q Quits active application

Command-V Paste

Command-W Closes Finder-folder window

Command-Option-W Same as above but closes all Finder-folders

Command-X Cut

Command-Z Undo

Command-Del Moves selected item to Trash

Command-Shift-A Opens the applications folder

Command-Shift-N Creates a new folder in the selected workspace

Command-Shift-Del Empty Trash

Command-Tab Rotate through open applications and switch to highlighted app

Command-~ Same as above but only flips through open windows in the selected application

Guest nutsonmychin!

i'm shopping for an external hard drive, anything i should know, or look out for. suggestions?