<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

either call yer pops ISP ( internet service provider the one who step up the dsl for him you may need the passcode to login ( yet another downfall of DSL)

and then if yer pops is connected via router then post what type it is and use the default password

either linksys or dlink something like that

go to t his site it has the default passwords for alot of routers ( if that fails just reset the router by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds this will return the password to default

its a motorola surfoard cable modem

sorry man was there supposed to be a link to a site in yer post

with the default pw's

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Click StartStart button, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, click Windows Easy Transfer, and then click Next.

3. Click Start a new transfer.

4. Click This is my new computer.

5. Click No, show me more options.

6. Click the option that is required for the Is Windows Easy Transfer installed on your old computer page prompt.

7. Select the destination media on which you want to store the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard files. You can store the wizard files on a CD, on a DVD, on removable media, or on a network drive.

8. Click Yes, I'll transfer files and settings over the network.

9. Type a path and a folder name in which you want to store the Windows Easy Transfer wizard files, and then click Next.

Note The default path is C:\migwiz.

Introduction

As many of you know, Gmail is Google's free web mail service that gives you 2+ Gigs of free storage for your email and attachments. Now that is a lot of storage; actually more storage than most people really need. So what can we do with all that extra storage you may be wondering? What if I told you that we could use all this extra storage to act as an online hard drive for you to store files?

Thanks to a great program by the folks over at http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm you can create a virtual drive in Windows Explorer or under My Computer that allows you to store files directly into your Gmail account. When you install this program, it will create a shell extension that links directly to your Gmail account. To use it you just have to open the Gmail Drive under My Computer or Windows Explorer, enter your logon credentials, and start dragging files into and out of the Gmail Drive. Simple as that. There are, though, some limitations to this program. As of right now, you are limited to uploading only files 10MB or smaller using the Gmail Drive extension. If this is a problem for you, you may want to check our our listing of other gmail storage programs.

Now lets get started!

Preparing the Gmail account for storage use.

When you store files using Gmail Drive, Gmail will place these files into your Inbox folder. If you start storing a lot of files, this can quickly clutter up this folder. To make it more organized we will create a rule that puts all your stored files into the Gmail Archive instead, which will keep the Inbox clutter free. All files uploaded using the GMail Drive have a subject that contains the text GMAILFS. Using this text we will create a filter that automatically places any messages with that subject into the Archive.

1. Logon to Gmail.

2. Click on the Create a filter link which is next to the Search the Web button at the top of the Gmail screen.

3. In the Create a Filter dialog, enter GMAILFS into the Subject: field. Then press the Next Step button.

4. Put a checkmark in the Skip the Inbox (Archive it) checkbox and then press the Create Filter button.

Now when you upload a file using Gmail Drive, it will automatically bypass your Inbox and be stored in the Archive. To view the files in the Archive, simply click on the All Mail link in the left hand navigation menu.

Installing the GMail Drive shell extension

The first step is to download the software using the links found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Once downloaded, simply extract the files and double-click on the Setup.exe program. When it has completed it will open a help file that you should read to get an understanding of how the program works. When done reading, simply open My Computer (or Windows Explorer) and you should see the Gmail Drive as shown in Figure 1 below.

mycomputer.jpg

Using the Gmail Drive to store files

Now that the software is installed, simply start copying files into the Gmail Drive. You can also right-click on files and select Send To -> Gmail Drive. When you start upload a file the extension will present a progress meter as shown in Figure 2 below.

upload.jpg

When the file has completed uploading, the extension will enumerate the folder again and you will be able to see the files stored in the folder. If you want to delete a file, simply click on the file once to select it, and then press the delete key. Below is a figure of my Gmail Drive that I have been playing around with.

storedfiles.jpg

As you can see you can store a variety of file types and sizes and as long as you have the Gmail Drive extension installed a computer, you can access these files from anywhere.

• Like 1

2000, i will be on vista, i think.

the new computers won't be here for a few more weeks, but i wanted to get all my music,

photos and shit off soon.

ok then yer an easy fix , do as a said before plugin the liteon into the usb port on the 2000 computer and go to my computer the drive should be seen without any problems and copy all the data off that you want and paste it into a folder in the lite-on

it will prolly take awhile depending on how much you need copied and the fact its an older version of USB so let it run after it is finished verify that all the files are there and working ( by opening up the files through the liteon and just pull them off of it and onto the vista computer when you get it

ok CP to get wifi from yer pops DSL you need a router or you will have to pull the cable from the back of the tower and plug it into the laptop this may prompt you for the password of the DSL call the ISP like i said before and they will give you the passcode

• Like 1

i'm a fucking retard sometimes!!

i figured out i could just use my itunes to burn my music.

as for the other data, i can transfer that with the download casek posted,

however, my old computer can't read a dvd DISCUS LISCUS

and i hope my new computer can.

as for the music. i have some cdrs here at work.

ok CP to get wifi from yer pops DSL you need a router or you will have to pull the cable from the back of the tower and plug it into the laptop this may prompt you for the password of the DSL call the ISP like i said before and they will give you the passcode

aight thats what i was doing, the cable part that is. cool man now that i know how to get the pw im all good thanks again man

cheers:cool:

Milky- If you need a USB key I have a 512 MB one I can mail to you.

It's not much, but it will definitely hold the documents and some of the photos. You can always "bucket brigade" them over if necessary.

I still think that Gmail trick is a epic win. Just open an account and that's good for 6 GB right there.

i think i asked about this before but i'm not sure. i definitely know i've thought about asking though....

if i unplug the cable from my router to my laptop and plug it back in, i'll get an error saying that my connection has 'limited or no connectivity'. hitting repair doesn't work. the only way i'll get a good connection again is by making sure its plugged in again and restarting.

this also means i can't use my wireless connection because it has to connect after the computer has started up.

how the hell am i supposed to play poker on the shitter?