<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Guest shai_hulud
triple c: i thought you were all about the puppy linux?

you try out ubuntu?

I recommend Ubuntu to people that are looking for a good LiveCD distro who aren't regular users of Linux. It's not too different from XP, there's a lot of drivers included for common hardware, and just about anyone can get the hang of it inside of fifteen minutes. I'ver used Ubuntu, but....

...I use PCLinuxOS on my desktop. Puppy is okay, but the more I learned about Linux, the more I started to notice things about Puppy I didn't like (wifi is a drag, NTFS file permissions are hard to configure, and the package management is confusing to say the least). If you know what you're doing, it's not a bad choice. For now, though, PCLinuxOS is what I'm using.

And, you're welcome, Elizabeth. The other things I forgot to mention is that you might have problems with wifi at first in Ubuntu. Ubuntu has drivers for most wifi cards, but every now and then it won't work with something. In that case, just plug straight into the router and reboot the machine, and you should get online then.

Also, LiveCDs don't install anything unless you tell them to. Once you shut down the computer and remove the CD, the computer boots from the HD. No settings will be permanently changed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just launched! Note: AIM, colored labels, group chat and rich emoticons only work in the latest version of Gmail, currently available for Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2. Please upgrade your browser to take advantage of these new features.

More friends are more fun. Gmail welcomes your AIM® friends.

aim_scrshot.gif Now you can talk to your AIM® friends using an integrated chat list right inside Gmail. Learn more ».

aim_math.gif

AOL, AIM and, the Chat Bubble Logo are trademarks of AOL LLC What's been keeping us busy...

Ever since we launched Gmail, we've been working hard to make it better. Here are a few of the features we've added:

• Colored labels
    Better organize your email with new colored labels. Just click the color swatch next to each label to assign a color. Learn more »
    colouredlables_module.gifcolouredlabels_scrshot.gif
  • Chat just got better with group chat and new emoticons
    groupchat.gif Group chat
    Chat with multiple people without multiple windows. Invite your friends to a group discussion. To start a group chat, click 'Group chat' from the 'Options' menu when chatting.
    Learn more »

chat_emoticons.gif New emoticons
    Go from :) to chat_smile.gif and start sending richer expressions to your friends.
    Learn more »

This on my christmas wish list item

WHO'S GETTING IT FOR ME??????????????

cowon_a3.jpg

Dapreview has posted what looks to be the final specs for the upcoming coming A3.

A3 Specs:

• Video: AVI(DivX, XviD), ASF, WMV, MPG, DAT, MKV, MP4, OGM, VOB (without Transcoding)
  • Audio: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, FLAC, APE, AC3
  • High Quality TV Out : COMPONENT, S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE
  • Display: 4 inch WVGA(800X480) 16M Color TFT LCD
  • High Processing Performance up to 1280X720 HD Video
  • MPEG4 Recording from TV, VCR or Camcorder
  • Voice recording and MP3 Recording from Line-in Audio
  • Image Format : JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG
  • MS Office and PDF(transcording needed) and Text
  • USB 2.0 High-Speed Host
  • 30GB/40GB/60GB of HDD Storage

http://dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4063

Guest shai_hulud

What don't you like about it? I'll bet it was the setup and performance issues from running it on a PC. Oh, and the Java bugs...I just found out about that, too.

I never said it was perfect, I just said it was an improvement...but, now I'm not so sure. I'm running a stripped down version of Tiger on an old G3 laptop and it's all right.

You know me...give me a XP/Linux system anytime. I'll agree with you there.

Mea culpa.

the GUI of apple is trash looks like trash they tried but cant really do anything with a no updated source code from 2 years ago

security ( i say draw) do to the fact that mac is getting hit more and more at a larger rate then what it use too ( like i aways said hackers only go for the most popular systems , and sense vista is getting the props its getting the virii

the speech recognition - is complete ass i love vistas voice recognition i use it all the time

safari sucks/but so does IE , firefox all the way

media organization - apple is OK but a little slow but i myself did not like it that much and would rather stick with vista

the widgets dashboard sucked ( to much clutter) and is just a waste of RAM same as vistas sidebar

backup timemachine was trash

ok thats it for the fun stuff

now to the kernal

shai i can tell why you like osx you are prolly way more comfortable with OS X from linux from the commandline point of view, i lost alot of commandline using windows over the years( point and click has got me)

performance is vista easy, for the reasons you said

and i want to tweak damnit

and some bugs

in leopard, if you move something (not copy) files / folders between disk volumes, and some crap happens to the destination volume or your connection with it, all of the files disappear (both your originals and the ones on the destination end) wtf and i noticed that the wrong menus came up, for example although mail was actually running, Safari's menus were showing up... moving the mouse over the menu bar and clicking where the correct menu items should be reveals them. Also the dashboard kept freezing and made me restart a few times and i have wireless keyboard and mouse so when the computer went to sleep and i tried to wake it up it would freeze the mouse and make me restart last but not least when i run a permissions verify/repair, it hangs at "under one minute" for up to 20 minutes or more, and then comes up with numerous error messages that will not repair even if I choose repair. repair does the same

window washer sucks ass and you have to pay for it!!!

i tried an old system cleaner with an update i use to love in the past its called windows washer (by the same makers of spy sweeper which i like) its a system cleaner that cleans out crap from yer computer the only thing that it is comparable to is CCleaner which seems to be slipping as of late but damn windows washer fell off major and died a horrible death it did not clean a fucking thing i marked everything for a good system cleaning ran it and it took 10 seconds which was a fast , but a little too fast because it didn't clean anything my clipboard,startmenu, recent opened files and IE temp folder were cleaned that was it

i run ccleaner right behind it and picked it all up and cleared it all away and it was free

thank you ccleaner

Hide.IP.Platinum.v3.43.

Hide IP Platinum is the software you are looking for! Keeping your ▓█

█▓ privacy is simple and easy: the only thing you need to do is open ▓█

█▓ Hide IP Platinum. Hide IP platinum will find the proxy server ▓█

█▓ available to you and set it as your proxy server automatically. ▓█

█▓ There is nothing need you to concern. Hide IP Platinum have done ▓█

█▓ everything for you! ▓█

█▓ ▓█

█▓ Key Features of Hide IP Platinum: ▓█

█▓ * Hide IP Platinum searches for HIGH anonymous proxy server and ▓█

█▓ makes you complete invisible to any websites you are surfing ▓█

█▓ * Protect you from any website that wants to monitor your reading ▓█

█▓ interests and spy upon you through your unique IP address - your ▓█

█▓ ID in the Internet ▓█

█▓ * Avoid your personal information be used to send you spam and ▓█

█▓ junk emails by many marketers and advertising agencies who ▓█

█▓ having information about your interests and knowing your IP ▓█

█▓ address as well as your email ▓█

█▓ * Keeping your computer away from hacker attacks by hiding your IP ▓█

█▓ address as well as information about your operation system ▓█

█▓ * Ability to frequently change IP addresses increases privacy ▓█

█▓ * Enable and disable Hide IP Platinum as your wish with a single ▓█

█▓ click ▓█

█▓ * Bypass the restrictions by some owners of Internet resources on ▓█

█▓ users from certain countries or geographical regions ▓█

█▓ * Post on bulletin boards without displaying your real IP address ▓█

█▓ * Use with a web based mail service to send anonymous email ▓█

█▓ * Doesn't like oher services force you to pay a monthly fee for ▓█

█▓ anonymous surfing. For a low one-time price, you can visit ▓█

█▓ whatever web sites without anyone ever finding out ▓█

█▓ * Works with Internet Explorer

your thoughts on this program?

Guest shai_hulud

"Chastened, Shai crawled back under his rock, determined to never recommend anything to anyone ever again."

800px-Nacktmull.jpg

Well, thanks for letting me know that Leopard sucks asspipe. The only problem I ran into was with setting up networking...IN THE SERVER EDITION. That prompted me to try the standard edition...which has just been freshly burned to a DL-DVD as of two days ago.

But, maybe it will just stay there for now.

However, let's be fair. Leopard's only been out for a month now. EVERYONE is bitching about Java not working right, but I'm sure they'll square that away eventually.

Vista hasn't exactly impressed me, either. I'm sure I could massage it into something useful, but for all the work I would do, I would be better off using TinyXP or Linux. I'd have to tear it down to practically nothing, and build it back up again.

OS X isn't perfect, but it has X11 and Bash. Granted, I install Cygwin on XP, so that's a toss-up.

Sorry it didn't work better for you.

Hide.IP.Platinum.v3.43.

Hide IP Platinum is the software you are looking for! Keeping your ▓█

█▓ privacy is simple and easy: the only thing you need to do is open ▓█

█▓ Hide IP Platinum. Hide IP platinum will find the proxy server ▓█

█▓ available to you and set it as your proxy server automatically. ▓█

█▓ There is nothing need you to concern. Hide IP Platinum have done ▓█

█▓ everything for you! ▓█

█▓ ▓█

█▓ Key Features of Hide IP Platinum: ▓█

█▓ * Hide IP Platinum searches for HIGH anonymous proxy server and ▓█

█▓ makes you complete invisible to any websites you are surfing ▓█

█▓ * Protect you from any website that wants to monitor your reading ▓█

█▓ interests and spy upon you through your unique IP address - your ▓█

█▓ ID in the Internet ▓█

█▓ * Avoid your personal information be used to send you spam and ▓█

█▓ junk emails by many marketers and advertising agencies who ▓█

█▓ having information about your interests and knowing your IP ▓█

█▓ address as well as your email ▓█

█▓ * Keeping your computer away from hacker attacks by hiding your IP ▓█

█▓ address as well as information about your operation system ▓█

█▓ * Ability to frequently change IP addresses increases privacy ▓█

█▓ * Enable and disable Hide IP Platinum as your wish with a single ▓█

█▓ click ▓█

█▓ * Bypass the restrictions by some owners of Internet resources on ▓█

█▓ users from certain countries or geographical regions ▓█

█▓ * Post on bulletin boards without displaying your real IP address ▓█

█▓ * Use with a web based mail service to send anonymous email ▓█

█▓ * Doesn't like oher services force you to pay a monthly fee for ▓█

█▓ anonymous surfing. For a low one-time price, you can visit ▓█

█▓ whatever web sites without anyone ever finding out ▓█

█▓ * Works with Internet Explorer

your thoughts on this program?

it sucks and its a waste of money or in this case a waste of bandwidth to download

shai you are failing again, TOR onion routers are being tracked by FBI for illegal government crap thank you 9-11 and peerguardian will not stop anyone from not tracking you

proxies do not stop cops or others from tracking you it just causes more interest because its just saying HEY!!!! i got something to hide so come track me big brother!!!

if anything go with VPN but the more people use it the more its going to be tracked

Guest shai_hulud

I need to stop smoking blunts for breakfast, then.

I'm not saying PG prevents tracking, but it's a good filter for most people.

TOR tracking is news to me.

Remember, I'm not keeping up on Windows security like I used to. That's your's and Casek's department.

I'll just talk about Linux.

And, you're welcome, Elizabeth. The other things I forgot to mention is that you might have problems with wifi at first in Ubuntu. Ubuntu has drivers for most wifi cards, but every now and then it won't work with something. In that case, just plug straight into the router and reboot the machine, and you should get online then.

Could this be the cause of it freezing before the log in screen? Ha, I think it's done for.

It felt good to even know about the livecd/linux thing though, I felt like I made progress and put in enough effort.

I'm going to put a 40gb harddrive in it in a few weeks and see what happens.

• Like 1

Guest shai_hulud

The Ubuntu CD session froze?

The wifi card shouldn't hang the system startup like that. Is it a PCMCIA card, or that new onboard wireless? If it's a PCMCIA card, then just pull it and reboot. If it's onboard, then...there's not much you can do then.

Did you get the screen with a bunch of text scrolling down? If so, then can you tell me where the startup freezes? If not, try pressing ESC during the startup. Then you should get the command line, which will tell you what is starting up correctly and what is not working, and why.

Did you get the screen with a bunch of text scrolling down? Yep

If so, then can you tell me where the startup freezes? Well I get up to a beige screen, and some kind of music starts, and then it freezes (well i can still move the mouse cursor)

If not, try pressing ESC during the startup. Then you should get the command line, which will tell you what is starting up correctly and what is not working, and why.

Yeah I hit escape when the codes on a command line thingy started and nothing happened just [ [ [ [

errrrr

Guest shai_hulud
errrrr

Try pushing control-alt-F1. That will give you a shell (command line). Type in "startx".

What it sounds like is the X server isn't fully working. If it's busted somehow, running the startx routine will sometimes give a clue as to the problem. It will say something like, "fatal server error 0 0" or "xserver already running".

X server is the program that draws the desktop in Linux. It's not a part of the operating system per se, it's an autonomous program that can be really fussy and arbitrary to deal with.

What it comes down to is figuring out what video card your computer has, then telling the X server, "This computer has ___video card, and needs___drivers to talk to said card. Here is the drivers, now you know what to do, so draw the fucking desktop, got it?"

Or, you could read through this page and see if any of this applies to you and/or helps-

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-79827.html

This specifically deals with Xserver issues.

If you get frustrated, there's a TON of support on the Ubuntu forums. People there are really nice (nicer than here, even) and are good for any info you may need.

The only thing I advise is that they DO get cranky if you don't try to research and resolve the problem on your own...and, they like for people to tell them specifically what the problem is when they ask for help (which you have been good about so far). Bearing that in mind, you'll be okay.

You're doing fine, sometimes Linux can be a drag to get working on certain hardware.