<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

question/situation:

i downloaded cs3 from a torrent about 6 months ago. it was a cracked/patched version(don't exactly know the correct terminology, but the set up process bypassed registration, etc). everything was fine, running smooth, updates going well. the other day i did a routine update and now photoshop is asking for a serial number and if i remember correctly i may have received a prompt during the last updating stating something about the patch not working right.

any solutions? do i uninstall and then reinstall the same cs3 as before? is there still going to be a problem when attempting to update? can i find a serial number, use it, and have it work along with the other cs3 app's that are still running under the patch/crack(?) setup as before?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

question/situation:

i downloaded cs3 from a torrent about 6 months ago. it was a cracked/patched version(don't exactly know the correct terminology, but the set up process bypassed registration, etc). everything was fine, running smooth, updates going well. the other day i did a routine update and now photoshop is asking for a serial number and if i remember correctly i may have received a prompt during the last updating stating something about the patch not working right.

any solutions? do i uninstall and then reinstall the same cs3 as before? is there still going to be a problem when attempting to update? can i find a serial number, use it, and have it work along with the other cs3 app's that are still running under the patch/crack(?) setup as before?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

you never update cracked programs. uninstall, reinstall, block from firewall level.

i don't have one. i'm on a mac. never thought to get one, never had problems. should i? humor me for being clueless on the matter.

oh, shit! i'm sorry. you should be fine. i think you mac folk are pretty safe.

yeah, just uninstall it and don't get updates. those updates allowed it to see

that you had a pirated version.

OK I just spent the past 2 hours getting my computer fixed.

I installed the Comodo firewall 3 update, and it made my computer fucked, running at 100% cpu usage.

i don't know if I checked the wrong options or whatever, but it seriously took me 2 hours to uninstall it.

I was fucking furious!

But anyway, I found that in my initial setup options (from the blue startupscreen where you can choose where you boot from or whatever) that there was an option for my DVD drive (which I couldnt' chnage thru windows) but would changing it thru there potentially fix my slow burning problem??

OK I just spent the past 2 hours getting my computer fixed.

I installed the Comodo firewall 3 update, and it made my computer fucked, running at 100% cpu usage.

i don't know if I checked the wrong options or whatever, but it seriously took me 2 hours to uninstall it.

I was fucking furious!

But anyway, I found that in my initial setup options (from the blue startupscreen where you can choose where you boot from or whatever) that there was an option for my DVD drive (which I couldnt' chnage thru windows) but would changing it thru there potentially fix my slow burning problem??

that new comodo update had me reeling for a minute.

fucking defender is what fucks shit up.

you can turn it off in firewall options/defender

or just right click on the icon in the lower right and all of your options pop up.

as for dvd drive, what boot order is it in? should be cd/dvd/primary hard drive/secondary hd/tertiary hd

Yeah it is in that.

My drama was that my dvd drive was set to the wrong setting (DMA was what it is meant to be??)

I don't know the problem was a couple of pages back, I'll find it later as I am having some sleep now.

BTW, I saw one of the hottest women I have ever seen in my life tonight. Shame I was so far away (and covered in booze from work, otherwise I would have had a crack, ahahah)

Yeah it is in that.

My drama was that my dvd drive was set to the wrong setting (DMA was what it is meant to be??)

I don't know the problem was a couple of pages back, I'll find it later as I am having some sleep now.

BTW, I saw one of the hottest women I have ever seen in my life tonight. Shame I was so far away (and covered in booze from work, otherwise I would have had a crack, ahahah)

http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

check that out. i know you don't own the software, but they typed it out for me.

haha, you shoulda spit game to that bird. you guys see a lot of models around your parts?

i know australia was a big place to go for models and celebrities alike.

Make sure yer speakers are correctly connected to your computer.

On yer speakers, find the cable that plugs into your computer. Make sure that the speaker cable is plugged into the speakers and the correct jack on the computer. For example, if the cable is a 1/8 inch cable, there should be a round jack for it on the back of the computer. If it is a USB cable, it will plug into any USB port on yer computer.

Well everyone, I think I may be ready to try linux out, lol. I need your help though:

1) Will I have issues finding drivers for my dell laptop? From what I understand, developers don't always make a linux version of their driver, so am I screwed if they didn't? I know for one that after installing an OEM Windows Xp on this laptop, i had to manually find and download the wireless and ethernet card drivers on a dif pc and install them on this as it wouldn't connect as is.

2) From what I understand, linux has like 399876209372098372 dif distros, as its open-source. Which one should i go with? I'm looking for one that can do everything XP can, but with little need for resources and no needs to connect wirelessly. The specs on this laptop aren't spectacular, so I was thinking linux would be a good break for it.

3) I have a weird video/graphics driver problem on this laptop (I'm sure you remember me asking for tons of help with a while ago, still hasn't been resolved). Would switching to linux resolve this in any way?

Thanks guys.

Well everyone, I think I may be ready to try linux out, lol. I need your help though:

1) Will I have issues finding drivers for my dell laptop? From what I understand, developers don't always make a linux version of their driver, so am I screwed if they didn't? I know for one that after installing an OEM Windows Xp on this laptop, i had to manually find and download the wireless and ethernet card drivers on a dif pc and install them on this as it wouldn't connect as is.

2) From what I understand, linux has like 399876209372098372 dif distros, as its open-source. Which one should i go with? I'm looking for one that can do everything XP can, but with little need for resources and no needs to connect wirelessly. The specs on this laptop aren't spectacular, so I was thinking linux would be a good break for it.

3) I have a weird video/graphics driver problem on this laptop (I'm sure you remember me asking for tons of help with a while ago, still hasn't been resolved). Would switching to linux resolve this in any way?

Thanks guys.

1- sometimes, but most likely, no.

2- ubuntu has some great distro's you'd probably love.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

http://ubuntustudio.org/ (if you make music or digital film editng)

3- maybe. really hard to say whether it would fix the problem or not. give it a shot. good thing about ubuntu is that there are live cd version where you install nothing, just pop in the cd. good to get a feel for the system.

good luck

Guest shai_hulud

Thanks guys.

1- My Dell Latitude (RIP) did fine with Linux. Tell me what kind of card you're using and I'll tell you what I know about it. In a pinch, there's an application called ndiswrapper that makes MS drivers work in Linux. See below.

2- PCLinuxOS is better than Ubuntu. http://www.pclinuxos.com is where you can get it. It's cool because it has the most common networking drivers built in, and if that doesn't cut it, there's a GUI version of ndiswrapper. Ubuntu is good, but I've found it to be lacking in certain areas. PCLinuxOS pretty much hits it out of the park.

3-Sounds like you might have an ATI card and the hassles that come with it. They have a reputation for having issues with Linux, because ATI lags when it comes to writing OpenGL drivers. You just have to read up on the card you have and make sure it works.

Thanks casek.

1- My Dell Latitude (RIP) did fine with Linux. Tell me what kind of card you're using and I'll tell you what I know about it. In a pinch, there's an application called ndiswrapper that makes MS drivers work in Linux. See below.

2- PCLinuxOS is better than Ubuntu. www.pclinuxos.com is where you can get it. It's cool because it has the most common networking drivers built in, and if that doesn't cut it, there's a GUI version of ndiswrapper. Ubuntu is good, but I've found it to be lacking in certain areas. PCLinuxOS pretty much hits it out of the park.

3-Sounds like you might have an ATI card and the hassles that come with it. They have a reputation for having issues with Linux, because ATI lags when it comes to writing OpenGL drivers. You just have to read up on the card you have and make sure it works.

1) The wireless card is a Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. And what I'm assumign is the ethernet card is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

2) Nice, I'll give it a try if it has Live CDs.

3) Yep, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. And it has always given me problems on this laptop with XP Pro (got the laptop second hand). Where could I find info on whether this will hinder using linux?

Guest shai_hulud
should i switch over to IE 7???--anything i should be worried about??

and WTF happened to demonoid? is it ever comming back?

I don't like IE, but 7 seems like a step in the right direction. Would I use it? No. Would I tell you not to use it? No. Personally, I use Opera. It's fast and light and never crashes.

Check torrentfreak.com for news about Demonoid. I haven't kept up on it. I imagine it will be a while before they get hosted somewhere else. ISPs/colo's are going to be leery about hosting trackers from now on.

Guest shai_hulud
Thanks casek.

1) The wireless card is a Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. And what I'm assumign is the ethernet card is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

2) Nice, I'll give it a try if it has Live CDs.

3) Yep, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. And it has always given me problems on this laptop with XP Pro (got the laptop second hand). Where could I find info on whether this will hinder using linux?

PCLinuxOS is a live/install system. I think it's possibly the best one I've used so far. As I said, they have most of the common networking drivers packaged on the CD. If not, ndiswrapper will prompt you for the installer CD that has them and do its thing.

Good luck with the ATI thing. All you can do is check documentation for that particular card and hope for the best. Most likely, what you'll have to deal with is having fixed screen resolution and no 3D capability.