<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

Mainter, casek, RTL- if you need to talk to me, I'll be on AIM tomorrow...sometime after 12 noon (remember, I'm in CA.)

RTL, with any luck I'll figure that MEPIS problem out. I hope they didn't change it THAT much...that would suck.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

nah, i still got that one. i'm not worrying about it. i was thinking about formatting and starting over anyhow. needed to get rid of some crap. it was this stupid hacked nvidia nforce driver that crashed my shit. fuckers.

just had to deal with some crackhead masons doing some work on my shit. one came over and smoked a junt with me yesterday. but i still think they're crackheads. bad thing is that they are somewhat neighbors of mine. about two blocks away neighbors. but fuckin a'.

i hate the country sometimes, but am very appreciative of crack (thins the herd). just wish it thinned a little quicker and over my way a little bit more. they deserve it.

That's funny, we had some crackhead trying to buy a pair of shoes off of my roommate ALL DAY yesterday. She finally said, "Fuck this, I'm outta here..." without bothering to tell this dude no shoes would be forthcoming. After the fourth time he showed up yelling her name, I went out and told him that we didn't expect her back for a week or so. He started to get salty, so I said. "Well, I'll tell her you came by," and walked in the house and slammed the gate. I didn't really mind the crackheads that much, but now they're getting pushy. This is bad. I'll go straighten it out tomorrow, let them know that our Satanic cult is looking for members or offerings...

That Micron is still not working, but since it was found in a dumpster, meh...and the dust bunny it farted out taxed my entire can of air. Now, it's clean enough to eat cereal out of...and, I'm starting to think that's about all it's good for. I got into the BIOS, switched the boot order, put in a CD...but, it's insisting that there's no HDD, insert boot disk....even after all the other drives are unplugged...It's too bad, it seems like it would be a good machine, but it was probably thrown out because it's junk. Hmmmm..well, I haven't given up. Close, but not yet.

I need a beer. I earned it, why not?

How do i make windows media player my defauly media player within firefox?

Recently whatever the default player was for firefox has just been displaying a gray box and no video.

yeah i am thinking of swiching because firefox has become to popular and with popularity comes the security issues :shakehead:

just like a mac remember the days them mac users use to say my shit is so secure and like i have always said when it becomes popular it will get hacked and what happened it got popular and its getting hacked left and right:shakehead:

linux is getting very popular too these days so that is another one on the rise yet again :shakehead:

so for security we have to learn BSD:shakehead:

Wow, you used to tell me to quit using Opera...things must be bad with Firefox, but I figured that would happen, as well.

I think a lot of hackers use Linux but do all their dirty work with Windows. You almost have to become one to get good at Linux (beyond everyday usage, that's no big deal). Yeah, there's always gonna be the people who want to come up and do stupid shit like credit card fraud, but if the hacker is true to the game it's mostly just to take a look at what's on a system and get out without being detected or doing damage.

I think what's going to become the issue in the long term (I'm thinking the next ten years) is people bending the rules of the GPL to develop proprietary closed systems in an attempt to try to get the most work done by using existing code. Think of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as being direct descendents in the spirit of winners like P.T. Barnum and any of the Rockerfellers...the key is to get rich and never mind how many rules get broken or people it steals from. OSX is a good example of what could be the beginning of the decline of the spirit of Open Source, depending on how you want to look at the issue.

hey, i'm having some trouble with my display. there's a couple of programs i want to use, but when i start them up, it says i need to change my display to 32 bit.

So of course i try to change the setting in the control panel, but there's no option for 32 bit. I think i might have to upgrade my graphics drivers? Now, i'm on a fairly old pc. so i think i might just be out of luck, but I'm shit at finding techy things like that. Any help?

Additional info if needed: XP, Intel 82810E Graphics controller

t|-|a|\|Ks |)00|)z. (hah, sorry)

There is a new threat out in the peer-to-peer world, and this time it's not the music industry but other filesharing sites!

You'd think filesharing sites, so many being shut down already, would help each other out when they can...but no. Filesharing sites, trying to become more popular then others are resorting to dark, dirty and illegal means to beat their "competition": bring those other sites down.

Method, known for his famous PeerGuardian, created a proof-of-concept program called Webstorm. This program has only one purpose: attack servers. It was designed to attack a list of "scam sites" provided by another group.

That group was KLT, a not so popular filesharing site due to the many spamming on various other filesharing sites, seemingly relaunched a modified version of the program as a way to bring down scam sites (=sites selling freeware). As an attack with Webstorm does more damage when more people are using it to attack at the same time, they started to organize attacks on the Methlabs forums, users there unaware that the service was now targeting legitimate site.

Fooling people to believe that the list only included scam sites to attack, KLT started to attack legiminate filesharing sites like FileSharingPlace.com.

After various weeks of attacks, a server like FileSharingPlace.com is nowhere near being brought down, let alone has taken any damage. However if this new trend amongst the webmasters of filesharing communities continues and grows, then we have truely entered a dark age.

the internet and business don't mix. then again' date=' neither does anything and business.[/quote']

I don't agree. I think that there's going to be predatory people no matter the what the medium or the marketplace is, ad it's up to the consumer to be aware of that and to be able to adapt to all the new scams and cons.

If people look at the Web as a community on a much larger and abstract scale, the good will far outweigh the bad. Also, if I get good service from a vendor or product, I'll tell my friends about it, and the smart business people online know this and put a high value on quality.

If I get bad service, I'll tell the whole world about it, because the Web allows for this. The shady and disreputable know this, as well, and that's why they tend to run fly-by-night operations out of countries where the laws concerning Internet commerce are more lax.