<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

Comp works!!! (Fucking thing...freak me out like that. I'll show you....)

sudo- switches you from a regular user to root (SU=superuser). Basically, admin status...you get more done in root, obviously.

dhclient- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol client. http://www.dhcp-handbook.com/dhcp_faq.html will fill you in...the fastest way for Linux to get you on the Web.

wlan0- Wireless Local Area Network #0. That's what your wireless card is called....eth0 is your ethernet conection, etc.

Read up on POSIX, casek. Really, now!

Aree you messing around with Knoppix STD?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

cacaseh: http://www.tian.cc/2005/11/how-to-save-flash-videos-from-youtube.html

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/11/save-flash-from-firefox-and-ie.html

shai: i knew most of that. been trying my best to get dhcp to recognize my damn wifi card.

wpc54g (linksys).

i don't know what the fuck i'm doing wrong.

any chance you can give me a rundown?

btw: i'm using nubuntu. wanting to go wardriving with it...

this work?

For the Broadcom chipset:

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

modprobe bcm43xx

Then I did:

sudo iwconfig ethx rate 11M

sudo iwconfig ethx ap any

sudo dhclient ethx

you notice after using windows for so long you become retarded

dude, it's worse than retardation. i feel lost in a world i'm generally comfortable in.

that and i really want the linux/kismet wardriving experience to come alive and free my

soul.

:p

its the mid-day bump everyone should just break there computers open up the case and pull out all the wires well not wires lemme take that back pull out the connectors and put them back together its always a fun experince and see how long it takes you to get it back up and running

cacaseh: http://www.tian.cc/2005/11/how-to-save-flash-videos-from-youtube.html

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/11/save-flash-from-firefox-and-ie.html

shai: i knew most of that. been trying my best to get dhcp to recognize my damn wifi card.

wpc54g (linksys).

i don't know what the fuck i'm doing wrong.

any chance you can give me a rundown?

btw: i'm using nubuntu. wanting to go wardriving with it...

Ooooooof....I went through hell doing this a couple months ago with a RTL 8180 driver. Errrrrrmmmm.....get ndiswrapper from here- <ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/> and this will allow you to use the Windoze wifi drivers in Linux. I'm not gonna go into how it works, because I barely understand it. Make sure that your executable path is something along the lines of /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless- every distro has its own particular place it likes to put these, usualy it goes into the .modconf folder when you are dealing with Debian systems (like Ubuntu).

That's just what I know off the top of my head (not bad, huh?), but for the real deal go here- http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=6772394 is the Ubuntu forum search for ndiswrapper issues.

When are you going to start using MEPIS? I just have to throw that in there every now and then...supposedly it does all the dirty work as far as wifi configs...and tightens up your game, and makes a damn good martini, to boot. I'd wait for the final 6.0 relese, but my man...it's just a better way to go.

casek, don't sweat it...I'm actually in a position to help you out (for once), but I would go to http://www.brunolinux.com/ and brush up on what you need to know there.

Linux is really easy...but, you're not gonna learn it overnight, either. Think of it as a series of small steps where every now and then, you'll be like, "AHA!!!" Remember, I was hoplessly lost trying to figure out XP. Linux is a much more intuitive and elegant system, and once you figure out a few things, it gets a lot easier.

Here's a couple big hints- all of your apps go into the /usr/share folder. Anything ending in /bin is a binary directory, this is the stuff that makes the apps....apply? Personal files tend to end up in your /home folder. If you have a working ALSA config (sound driver), LEAVE IT ALONE....it's goddamn near impossible to fix ALSA, to the point where it's almost easier to reinstall if it fucks up. Forums will save your ass, but read through them and look for an answer to your question before you ask or make new threads.

ndis wrapper comes with nubuntu. and this is a live cd. not installed as of yet.

i don't want to install just for some wardriving shits and giggles.

what i need to know is this: i've got a wpc54g pcmia card in the laptop. sudo dhclient doesn't detect that there's a card, but config wlan0 does show a card. don't know if it's mine or not. IEEE something something blargh.

Hmmm...yeah, that's weird. You know, if it's IEEE 1394, that's a Firewire PCi bus number.

Laptops are kind of tricky when it comes to Linux sometimes. The best thing to do is look on Sourceforge for a driver once you decide to install....ndiswrapper can be a real pain in the ass, even if you know what you're doing....and, it sounds like you're in the dark about this.

Good luck, homie. About all I can tell you is maybe look on distrowatch.com for something that is use-specific.

yeah shits pissing me off i think its to new yet

the problem is i can downgrade the firmware to v3c but i will lose the extended memory that the v3m supports and thats the reason i want it for so i can load more pictures and music

so, is there anything for winblows like kismet?

i know netstumbler sends out a request for routers named *any

kismet doesn't send shit, it only listens.

i've got wifi hopper. it's pretty much like netstumbler.

god, i don't want to figure our that cygwin shit....fuck. fuck.

yeah shits pissing me off i think its to new yet

the problem is i can downgrade the firmware to v3c but i will lose the extended memory that the v3m supports and thats the reason i want it for so i can load more pictures and music

have you ever seen these really full featured cell phones and thought "how gay"?

i do that alot. i see people snapping pics or listening to mp3's and i just think "how gay".

it's most likely because i'm not cool with having a distraction (mass at some times) device

on me at all times. i've still got my old nokia 3360b. no gps tracking cip on it, no b/s.

just a green screen with crap.

btw: how good is the picture res nowdays? i heard it was going up to like 3 megapixels on some phones.

not bad at all if that's the case.

yeah well the only reason im up on the new phone with all this shit in it is because it was free( contract went up so i could choose a new phonei got the newest one out with all the extra shit its a mini computerbluetooth wireless modem and shit charges by usb on a computer shit is bananas i upgraded from a samsung sch-a310 (blue screen)

Microsoft jumps in open source pool

The software maker plans to sponsor an open-source project to create software that will convert Office documents to OpenDocument, a rival format gaining ground, particularly among governments.